Page 282 of 452 FirstFirst ... 182232272278279280281282283284285286292332382 ... LastLast
Results 3,373 to 3,384 of 5424

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    They’ll have to pay something for Markov ... and the Treloar deal isn’t over yet, otherwise a win-win. Other clubs will have a similar idea though.
    Yes, forgot about that one. Richmond will get overs for Markov just because that's what picks GC has.

Geelong will do a trade, Smith and Higgins show they are in it for the now, they have the picks to get it done, GWS have the Tim Kelly trade template from last year to remind the Cats!

Treloar is interesting, what would it mean for the comp if he went to Richmond?

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Yes, forgot about that one. Richmond will get overs for Markov just because that's what picks GC has.

Geelong will do a trade, Smith and Higgins show they are in it for the now, they have the picks to get it done, GWS have the Tim Kelly trade template from last year to remind the Cats!

Treloar is interesting, what would it mean for the comp if he went to Richmond?
    Don't think Richmond could afford Treloar unless they offloaded some players, and that's not their style. More Collingwood. But bet he wishes he chose differently when he left GWS.
    He could go to the Bulldogs, who could offload Dunkley to Bombers or Carlton and still have change left over.

Senior Player
    Having seen what Geelong are allegedly offering Cameron $950k x 5 years, I’m not sure GW$ will match.
    Hard to imagine any player is worth that much these days, especially someone whose tank will be running a bit dry in
    a few years. D Martin I suppose would be worth that much.

You'd think by matching Geelong's offer and being the first club to match, they are also saying how they might deal
    with RFA's in the future. They have played hardball before, like making Cam McCarthy sit out of AFL footy for a year
    a few years back.
    Last edited by KTigers; 31st October 2020 at 03:56 PM.

I find this scenario fascinating. Geelong have offered Cameron a huge contract, presumably (1) to entice him to leave (2) to make it hard for the Giants to match.

Now that they have to trade for him, are they required to offer the same terms, or is it back to the drawing board. Will they offer less $? Same would apply to Crouch too.

Good on GWS for matching.

I know they are meant to be our enemy, but gee, I really like the way they operate.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post

I know they are meant to be our enemy, but gee, I really like the way they operate.
    +1

Geelong should be made to cough up more than Cameron's salary. Love it!

Veterans List
    I find this scenario fascinating. Geelong have offered Cameron a huge contract, presumably (1) to entice him to leave (2) to make it hard for the Giants to match.

Now that they have to trade for him, are they required to offer the same terms, or is it back to the drawing board. Will they offer less $? Same would apply to Crouch too.
    He's signed a contract for those $, he will get them from either Cats or GWS regardless of how he gets there.

In reality, accepting pick 12 compo for a marquee KPF is way unders, they talked tough when he said he was leaving, needed to follow it up by matching or they wouldn't be taken seriously again in trades.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    He's signed a contract for those $, he will get them from either Cats or GWS regardless of how he gets there.

In reality, accepting pick 12 compo for a marquee KPF is way unders, they talked tough when he said he was leaving, needed to follow it up by matching or they wouldn't be taken seriously again in trades.
    So then, Geelong are the loser because they are tied to the massive 5 year RFA contract, but don't get him for nothing. Presumably, unlike a RFA, they can change the contract later, if he's agreeable?

I think its fascinating how teams after restricted free agents have turned the salary $ into a weapon so that they pay him just enough so that the team he is leaving does not match and receives a favourable pick as compensation. Effectively, this tactic means that the acquiring team gives up no draft picks or players just a bit more in their salary cap $.

Needless to say, the loser is the rest of the competition who all share in the pain of being dropped back on their picks. I wonder if the AFL envisaged this potential tactic when they first introduced free agency? I think that changes may be made to the system in the future because of this.

Senior Player
    According to the AFL site GWS are the first team to match a bid in nine years. Maybe he can stay at the Giants.
    After all, up until about a month ago he was telling all and sundry how much he liked it in Sydney and wanted
    to stay at GWS.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I think its fascinating how teams after restricted free agents have turned the salary $ into a weapon so that they pay him just enough so that the team he is leaving does not match and receives a favourable pick as compensation. Effectively, this tactic means that the acquiring team gives up no draft picks or players just a bit more in their salary cap $.

Needless to say, the loser is the rest of the competition who all share in the pain of being dropped back on their picks. I wonder if the AFL envisaged this potential tactic when they first introduced free agency? I think that changes may be made to the system in the future because of this.
    Either abolishing compensation entirely, or making the destination club pay it, might be necessary. Can anyone imagine the Saints giving up pick 2 for Brad Crouch?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post

Hear hear - I think this a great response. And good for the competition too - this year's finalist shouldn't be picking up one of the competition's best forwards for free. (And yes I recognise that's a somewhat hypocritical stance given the Buddy deal, but we know what hell that unleashed).