Page 255 of 452 FirstFirst ... 155205245251252253254255256257258259265305355 ... LastLast
Results 3,049 to 3,060 of 5424

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veterans List
    So what happens if GWS offer $1 over the Geelong offer?

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Yep, Geelong will into him [Tanner Bruhn] before he gets on the plane to Sydney.
    There's actually an article this week about how Geelong do precisely that with players from the Geelong Falcons

Why Geelong has the best 'go-home factor' in the AFL

THE BEST 'go-home' factor in football belongs to Geelong. It is not being Victorian, South Australian or West Australian, but in fact growing up in or near Geelong, with the Cats luring players back to the region year after year. Their latest – Greater Western Sydney restricted free agent Jeremy Cameron – might be the biggest coup yet...

The Falcons, as one of the strongest NAB League clubs in the competition and richest talent regions, will continue to develop star draftees, with Tanner Bruhn and Ollie Henry (brother of Jack) already on the radar as possible top-10 picks this season. Geelong will be keen on the pair, however that interest, as shown by their chase of Cameron and Higgins in recent weeks, won't diminish even if they do end up elsewhere around the country and competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    So what happens if GWS offer $1 over the Geelong offer?
    I made a comment before about the end of restricted free agency. It used to be that the destination club had to make a Buddy style offer so lucrative that it wouldn't or couldn't be matched. And if that was not the case, in theory the player has to stay put. Or there has to be a trade. With Dangerfield a trade was arranged because Adelaide said they would match.

But now you have clubs making offers to players (Cameron, Daniher) that may be less than they'd get if they stayed put AND saying they will not trade.

I think its OK for clubs to say they don't want to tie themselves to a monster multi-year Buddy millstone type contract, but only if they are prepared to pay in a trade what that player is worth. With Daniher his worth is a very open question given his recent injury history.

But with Geelong wanting Cameron, they either have to make him an insane offer, or stump up 2 first round draft picks. Or let him take his chances in the PSD. Someone else noted what they got from West Coast for Tim Kelly is indicative of Cameron's worth.

¡Pay up or Trade, you can't have it both ways!

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    According to SEN, Saints are offloading 2 players to Crows in order to give them the cap space to pay Crouch enough to trigger pick 2 as RFA compo.

The two Saints who could be off to Adelaide as part of Crouch negotiations

I wonder if that will happen? Damien Barratt is adamant they won’t get pick 2
    Neither of those players resemble anything like what Adelaide need. I'll be very surprised if it happens, and the AFL should call bulldust on it anyway.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Does anyone know what the rules are around tampering/Free Agency in the AFL? I know next to nothing about it and can't find a simple summary, to the relatively ignorant (me!) it seems like Free Agency has been adopted without a huge amount of governance over it (so we looked to other leagues for the easy bit, no the hard bit)?

Obviously a different universe (and players still recruit other players etc.), but this article has a good overview of the sort of things considered in the NBA- note the $500k fine to the Lakers for having someone reach out to the representatives of a contracted player (and that being viewed as a slap on the wrist).

NBA tampering: Breaking down new compliance rules - Sports Illustrated
    Isn't the problem there are the documented rules, then there are the:

* Oh - isn't it funny to find you as Manager of Club A and me as Manager of Player B in the same coffee shop at once, rule
    * Story appears in paper speculating on player or club's aspiration, completely unfounded of course but a giant smoke signal, rule
    * The AFL arbitrarily make @@@@ up as they see fit, rule (ie: our trade ban).

I think the fundamental problem is the AFL, and other sports, ultimately know if they go too hard, and a player resists, the player would win a restraint of trade and blow up the draft, trading rules and other elements of player movement.

There is some legal precedent here that seeks to balance the legitimate interests of the league (ie: commercial viability, etc) versus unreasonableness on the rights of players - but it's a fine line the AFL doesn't want to see too heavily tested in the courts, so they tend to wave a lot through, and merely deal with excessive elements.

It's why I always thought the Swans should have pushed the line on the trade ban. The AFL would have pooed their pants at a legal challenge.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Neither of those players resemble anything like what Adelaide need. I'll be very surprised if it happens, and the AFL should call bulldust on it anyway.
    Exactly. Roberton was a good player but could be just about finished. Webster is average at best. It reeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Isn't the problem there are the documented rules, then there are the:

* Oh - isn't it funny to find you as Manager of Club A and me as Manager of Player B in the same coffee shop at once, rule
    * Story appears in paper speculating on player or club's aspiration, completely unfounded of course but a giant smoke signal, rule
    * The AFL arbitrarily make @@@@ up as they see fit, rule (ie: our trade ban).

I think the fundamental problem is the AFL, and other sports, ultimately know if they go too hard, and a player resists, the player would win a restraint of trade and blow up the draft, trading rules and other elements of player movement.

There is some legal precedent here that seeks to balance the legitimate interests of the league (ie: commercial viability, etc) versus unreasonableness on the rights of players - but it's a fine line the AFL doesn't want to see too heavily tested in the courts, so they tend to wave a lot through, and merely deal with excessive elements.

It's why I always thought the Swans should have pushed the line on the trade ban. The AFL would have pooed their pants at a legal challenge.
    The AFL wouldn't let us take them to court. They own us and can tell us what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    The AFL wouldn't let us take them to court. They own us and can tell us what to do.
    I think that’s right, the AFL owns the swans after it went belly up

GWS should just say.. "listen you Victorians on our list, if you want to go home, you can, but we will only deal with bottom 4 clubs". We are not aiming to make our rivals stronger.
    Jeremy, wanna go home? Off to norf for you. GWS can take brown plus a pick; n exchange..

- - - Updated - - -

And the swans should do this too.

Veterans List
    AFL will have it's hands full this year with clubs trying to rort the compo picks. A couple of shockers suggested around the Crouch and Cameron moves.

The problem with compo picks is that they push out the legitimate picks of every other club not involved in a FA deal, this year innocent clubs, like us, could have picks pushed back by 5/6/7 spots and in a year when we need points that's a big chunk of points to get robbed because FA choose to move.

So much is wrong in this whole scenario.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    I have created a thread for free agency here: The problems with free agency
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    GWS should just say.. "listen you Victorians on our list, if you want to go home, you can, but we will only deal with bottom 4 clubs". We are not aiming to make our rivals stronger.
    Jeremy, wanna go home? Off to norf for you. GWS can take brown plus a pick; n exchange..
    "Hey, listen all you disgruntled cranky Giants, if you want to leave the club, you can, but we will only deal with bottom 4 clubs. Off to the Swans with you rabble."