Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Our club: the Board, corporate structure and governance

The following is from the AFL site and it shows the most matches missed through suspension since 2010 and our club has the least number of suspensions. A great achievement.

62 Geelong
    57 Richmond
    56 Hawthorn
    53 West Coast
    52 St Kilda
    51 Essendon
    50 Melbourne
    46 Fremantle
    43 North Melbourne
    40 Brisbane, Port Adelaide
    36 Carlton
    35 Gold Coast
    29 Greater Western Sydney
    28 Collingwood
    26 Western Bulldogs
    22 Adelaide
    18 Sydney

Good to see that the Swans have put COLA back in the agenda.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/massive-problem-pridham-wants-housing-allowance-for-swans-gws-staff-20210324-p57dkq.html

Sydney chairman Andrew Pridham has called for the Swans and Giants to be given an additional “housing allowance” for football staff and coaches as part of the soft cap on football spending.

Pridham said the Swans had an issue with retaining football staff, such as assistant coaches, and that the higher cost of housing in Sydney compared with Melbourne and other capital cities was “a massive problem” for the club.

He reckons its 30% more expensive in Sydney.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    He also pushed for an independent review of the whole AFL competition back in October. The AFL decided to conduct the review in-house anyway, but I don't reckon it won him any friends at AFL HQ.

Pridham seems to be swinging hard, I wonder what he's trying to achieve?

I can't see how he expects to see a return of COLA, such an allowance is completely justified but I just can't see it being reinstated - too unpopular south of the border.

Maybe he's raising it as a unpalatable alternative (stalking horse) to allowing the Sydney Academy to continue to supply the Swans with local talent?

Or maybe, it's nothing more than him simply saying what is best for the game - consequences be damned. A bit unlikely for a merchant banker but you never know.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Veteran Site Admin
    The club does actually retain a COLA-lite, in the form of a housing allowance for those paid under the median wage. All he seems to be doing is asked for a similar allowance for non-playing football staff, with the soft-cap now very tight. Seems pretty reasonable, though the examples provided of coaches that have left isn't that convincing as a rationale.

There are a lot of people - especially in the Melbourne footy world (or traditional state footy world) who can't distinguish between equality and equity.

Quite correct Liz - I'd forgotten.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 26th March 2021 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    The following is from the AFL site and it shows the most matches missed through suspension since 2010 and our club has the least number of suspensions. A great achievement.

62 Geelong
    57 Richmond
    56 Hawthorn
    53 West Coast
    52 St Kilda
    51 Essendon
    50 Melbourne
    46 Fremantle
    43 North Melbourne
    40 Brisbane, Port Adelaide
    36 Carlton
    35 Gold Coast
    29 Greater Western Sydney
    28 Collingwood
    26 Western Bulldogs
    22 Adelaide
    18 Sydney
    Do you think there is a correlation between arguably the four best sides in the modern era and rough play?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    He also pushed for an independent review of the whole AFL competition back in October. The AFL decided to conduct the review in-house anyway, but I don't reckon it won him any friends at AFL HQ.

Pridham seems to be swinging hard, I wonder what he's trying to achieve?

I can't see how he expects to see a return of COLA, such an allowance is completely justified but I just can't see it being reinstated - too unpopular south of the border.

Maybe he's raising it as a unpalatable alternative (stalking horse) to allowing the Sydney Academy to continue to supply the Swans with local talent?

Or maybe, it's nothing more than him simply saying what is best for the game - consequences be damned. A bit unlikely for a merchant banker but you never know.
    One thing about Andrew Pridham is that he is an incredibly astute individual. Nothing happens that is not pre-meditated.

We have the least suspensions, but I bet close to the the most free kicks against. Doesnt add up.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    We have the least suspensions, but I bet close to the the most free kicks against. Doesnt add up.
    Giving away free kicks doesn't mean that they are reportable acts. I'm not surprised that we are at the bottom for suspensions. I'm actually surprised that we have had 18. I think Jones may have been a culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Giving away free kicks doesn't mean that they are reportable acts. I'm not surprised that we are at the bottom for suspensions. I'm actually surprised that we have had 18. I think Jones may have been a culprit.
    I'm guessing Mumford as well.

Veterans List
    Mickey O's possible elevation to the clubs board has been discussed in other threads but this confirmation popped up on youtube and I thought this thread was the obvious place to put it. Great little interview with a lovely series of career pictures and some playing highlights as well.

We are so lucky to have him on our board. Love ya Mickey!

O’Loughlin: I love everything about this football club - YouTube

There was a great discussion on club board structure on ABC offsiders on Sunday (catch it on iView) and they suggested diversity (ie not ex players) was much better for a board.

I tend to agree. I'm not sure what Mickey O brings to a corporate board.

I saw that Barry, I took the message to be what a pigs ear you get if the board contains nothing but with ex players and their fan boys - not that ex players had no place.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast