Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Our club: the Board, corporate structure and governance

Mickey O wants to join the club board: AFL 2021: Sydney Swans legend Michael O’Loughlin to run for club board (smh.com.au). Seems like a no brainer, and a great opportunity to diversify our board, even though O'Loughlin himself is at pains to stress that is not the main reason he should be appointed. I love how he declares his "one-eyed" passion for the club. That will make 3/10 football people on the board, if you include Andrew Ireland. (The third is Leo Barry, who joined the board last year.)
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Veteran Site Admin
    It’s hard to think of better credentials for a board member - understands game a a player, coach and from a player development perspective. Business experience. Community and charity work.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    The article mentions a business, any idea what that business is?
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Happy and I know it
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    The article mentions a business, any idea what that business is?
    You can read about his business here: ARA Indigenous Services - ARA Property Services
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Even if Micky O didn't have links to the club as a former player, he'd be a solid nomination for the board. That is just the icing on the cake - hope he gets on the board.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Even if Micky O didn't have links to the club as a former player, he'd be a solid nomination for the board. That is just the icing on the cake - hope he gets on the board.
    I suspect he's a shoo in. It's a cosy club on the board and the elections seem always to be unopposed. In fact, it seems the Board is approving an increase in the number of directors, from nine to ten, to accommodate him. It wouldn't surprise me if it were their idea and they tapped him on the shoulder. Possibly it was even a reaction to Collingwood's Do Better report, which is relevant for all clubs. Possibly they hit up Goodsey first and he suggested Mickey O.

No offence to Mickey O, I would have thought a candidate with strong ties into the AFL Commission, NSW government and business community wouldn't be a better fit.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    No offence to Mickey O, I would have thought a candidate with strong ties into the AFL Commission, NSW government and business community wouldn't be a better fit.
    Andrew Demetriou might have some spare time now?

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    What you mean the person has to actually have qualitites that make them suitable for the job, thats a novel idea

Sam Mostyn is a former AFL Commissioner. And, by now, Andrew Pridham must have close ties with the AFL too. Ditto Andrew Ireland. That is ample ties to the AFL. Our other directors come (apart from Leo Barry) come from the business community and at least some of them most have good connections with government (including, again, Mostyn - we are lucky to have her, she offers so much and different things to the others).
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Agree with bloodspirit, there is a lot to be gained with a broader range of experience amongst the board, and we seem to have the AFL and business connections well covered.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Sam Mostyn is a former AFL Commissioner. And, by now, Andrew Pridham must have close ties with the AFL too. Ditto Andrew Ireland. That is ample ties to the AFL. Our other directors come (apart from Leo Barry) come from the business community and at least some of them most have good connections with government (including, again, Mostyn - we are lucky to have her, she offers so much and different things to the others).
    Last time I heard Leo was in the finance industry.