Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do with no footy to watch

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Largely agree but some of the marks paid in the old days were farcical. Watched Rich v Cwood 1980 GF. Some marks were held for a split second. Also, a lot of posing was rewarded in Holding The Man decisions.
    I hadn't mentioned marking, and it is an interesting one.

I certainly assumed that I had to have a good solid hold of the thing when I was playing. However, when I actually had to read the rule book/folder (I did a brief stint as an umpire, it was horrible btw) it simply said that the player must control the ball, no specific time limit was mentioned, just control.
    Which surprise me at the time, but I suppose it means a split second could be enough?
    Either way the umpires are going to err. I think I'd prefer they erred on the side of the payer trying to take a high mark - if only because it's unique to our game.

I can't stand stagers either, whether for holding the man, or todays ducking for high contact - it's really just professional cheating and should be classed as "bringing the game into disrepute"?
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I hadn't mentioned marking, and it is an interesting one.

I certainly assumed that I had to have a good solid hold of the thing when I was playing. However, when I actually had to read the rule book/folder (I did a brief stint as an umpire, it was horrible btw) it simply said that the player must control the ball, no specific time limit was mentioned, just control.
    Which surprise me at the time, but I suppose it means a split second could be enough?
    Either way the umpires are going to err. I think I'd prefer they erred on the side of the payer trying to take a high mark - if only because it's unique to our game.

I can't stand stagers either, whether for holding the man, or todays ducking for high contact - it's really just professional cheating and should be classed as "bringing the game into disrepute"?
    Interesting about controlling the ball - very subjective- didn't know it was worded like that.

I watched the last quarter of the 2005 Geelong semi final, and while Davis was good, Buchanon played a blinder!

I also watched a few 2016 games. While we finished 1st, we had a lot of holes in that side. Xavier Richards was not an AFL quality player and he was our full forward. We relied on buddy so much.

Senior Player
    I am finding I am barely missing footy at all. The part I think I like the best is not having to "worry" about how we are going to go.
    Doing very little work as well so don't have to worry about that much either. As I said to a mate yesterday as long as the record
    collection and a fully stocked beer fridge is nearby we can live as if we were 22 again. It was pretty good.

Senior Player
    Played brilliantly in every final in 2005

I have about 300 pot plants.
    Every single one of them needs something done to it.
    One pot at a time.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

I think the changes in the way the game is played is more to do with the coaching and the increased fitness of players than the AFL or the umpires. The increase in levels of science and planning and coaching and strategy and statistics and looking at other sporting codes etc etc. since, say, 1970, is astronomical. Chalk and cheese. It's hard to keep the final product the same in those circumstances. That's why the AFL keeps neverendingly tweaking the rules and why there are serious conversations about whether the game should have zones introduced or a reduced number of players per side. Both of these solutions are unpalatable but the point is to get back to a game that more resembles the way the game was played last century, not do 'innovate' or 'improve' it. I don't have any answers but I think it's too easy and simplistic to just blame the AFL.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    I have about 300 pot plants.
    Every single one of them needs something done to it.
    One pot at a time.
    300 sounds more than "Personal use" Annie

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    300 sounds more than "Personal use" Annie
    BWA HA HA HA HA HA
    One day I'll move to the ACT.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Watching old VFL, SANFL, WAFL GF’s from the 80’s on tv via YouTube the last few days.

I just watched the doco 'Inside Out' about Collingwood and especially their 2018 season on iview. It was really good, well worth watching. They have become an impressive club. Some of that same vibe you get out of Richmond but that I don't get out of Melbourne.

Not sure if it was just because they focused on Jarryd Blair who played his final season, mostly in the VFL, but the vibe didn't seem as good among the fringe players and the VFL team. Actually, you really only got a focus on Nathan Buckley, Brodie Grundy, Adam Treloar and Jarryd Blair so is hard to be confident about the vibe with the rest of the group but I was persuaded that Buckley has built something worthwhile at Collingwood.

At the Swans I think we have a pretty good vibe on the whole, especially relative to our Win-Loss last season, and I have a feeling it extends to our NEAFL team (although probably not to every player). I think the youth of the team helps give it a vibrancy beyond the win-loss tally.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast