Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 9 v St Kilda

I was quite critical of the way St. Kilda overpaid for Brad Hill and traded their way out of 2 drafts, 2019 and 2020. 2019 looks like it will turn out to be a pretty good draft. But the rest of what the Saints did has worked out better than they could have imagined. I'm not surprised that Zak Jones is doing well, but how lucky, or astute, were they with Dan Butler. And Jack Steele has become a very serious AA contender in their midfield. And how about picking up Rowan Marshall and Callum Wilkie in rookie drafts. Except for Hanners, their injury list is one of the best in the league.

With Covid and probable list size reductions, it no big deal not being a player in this year's draft.

It's hard to get so many things right in such a short time that it propels you from a non-contender to premiership contender, but the Saints seem to have done it. It's a bit like the way we built out last premiership team, getting critical pieces from a lot of different sources and having a healthy list nearly every year. How things have changed.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I was quite critical of the way St. Kilda overpaid for Brad Hill and traded their way out of 2 drafts, 2019 and 2020. 2019 looks like it will turn out to be a pretty good draft. But the rest of what the Saints did has worked out better than they could have imagined. I'm not surprised that Zak Jones is doing well, but how lucky, or astute, were they with Dan Butler. And Jack Steele has become a very serious AA contender in their midfield. And how about picking up Rowan Marshall and Callum Wilkie in rookie drafts. Except for Hanners, their injury list is one of the best in the league.

With Covid and probable list size reductions, it no big deal not being a player in this year's draft.

It's hard to get so many things right in such a short time that it propels you from a non-contender to premiership contender, but the Saints seem to have done it. It's a bit like the way we built out last premiership team, getting critical pieces from a lot of different sources and having a healthy list nearly every year. How things have changed.
    Premature hailing of the Saints as contenders. One really good win has happened before to them, for them to revert to type. Not convinced yet.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Premature hailing of the Saints as contenders. One really good win has happened before to them, for them to revert to type. Not convinced yet.
    They've done what they have this year with a very healthy list, not sure they have a lot of quality depth if they get hit with injuries, their form has also been patchy like every team so far.

Only got a first rounder this year then junk picks so last years trade period was risky. Let's wait and see eh?

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I’m deeply unconvinced by them. They’ll probably play finals this year as they’ve got a good head start and a fit list. And they’ll probably beat us on the weekend.

But I’m not convinced what they did last year in the trade and forthcoming drafts sets them up for long term success. They’ve got King and Marshall as class KPs. Gresham and O’Brien are class but not pure mids. After that: good, but not great midfielders.

But they’re a side lacking real elite talent bar King on potential and definitely not around the ball. And they’ve now got no capacity to get it for the next two to three years.

I reckon they drafted and traded to be finalists. But not sustained flag contenders.

Could someone remind me what pick(s) we got for Jones;
    and
    What we used that to get a player in the draft.

It might make for some added interest in watching the game on the weekend.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Could someone remind me what pick(s) we got for Jones;
    and
    What we used that to get a player in the draft.

It might make for some added interest in watching the game on the weekend.
    Stand to be corrected but thing we swapped Jones for Elijah Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    That's more or less how it panned out, but the original trade was more complicated. This is from the Swans site, at the time, "The Sydney Swans have secured draft picks 32, 76 and Fremantle’s 2020 Round 3 pick in exchange for defender Zak Jones, pick 56 and next year’s Round 4 pick".

Pick 32 did end up being Taylor at 36. We no longer have Fremantle's 2020 pick, because we used it in a pick swap with the Crows, which saw us move from 28 to 26, which we used on Gould.

And we didn't use pick 76, but it seems that we have Adelaide's fourth round 2020 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Given we are in a rebuild and Jones was unlikely to be in our next premiership side, that's not the worst trade.

Most frustrating is that StKilda is playing Jones as an inside midfielder where he is thriving. It's a shame that he never got that chance with us and was mainly used off half back or a wing.

So, I can hope that Gould is selected this week.

Then, during the weekend game, I compare Jones with E Taylor and Gould (with an age discount of course).

Might be interesting

Changes for Round 9 v St Kilda

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Given we are in a rebuild and Jones was unlikely to be in our next premiership side, that's not the worst trade.

Most frustrating is that StKilda is playing Jones as an inside midfielder where he is thriving. It's a shame that he never got that chance with us and was mainly used off half back or a wing.
    Jones only turned 25 in March . When do you see us contending for a flag next ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Jones only turned 25 on March . When do you see us contending for a flag next ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Didn't realise Jones was that young!

Reckon we are 4-5 years away from seriously contending though.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast