Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Round 14 • Port v Sydney Swans @ Adelaide

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    I’ll give you Thurlow but Bell and Mcinerney have played less than 20 games between them. Bell (21 years old ) wasn’t great today but Mcinerney (20) was fair. Bell also has a good knack for popping up near goal, which isn’t a knack shared by too many of his teammates . Bit early to write them off I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not expecting huge games from them but it's not hard to tell when a kid can play or not. Bell and McInerney just don't have it. Make poor decisions, fumble under pressure, make silly errors. Decent depth players but if they are in our best side in a few years time we're in trouble.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Not expecting huge games from them but it's not hard to tell when a kid can play or not. Bell and McInerney just don't have it. Make poor decisions, fumble under pressure, make silly errors. Decent depth players but if they are in our best side in a few years time we're in trouble.
    Wow. Such certainty after a handful of games. McInerney is a pup with potential. Bell has a mature body but has played less than ten games. Plenty of room for improvement in both.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Wow. Such certainty after a handful of games. McInerney is a pup with potential. Bell has a mature body but has played less than ten games. Plenty of room for improvement in both.
    Not certainty, just a feeling. I don't see much that either offer. McInerney can run. So can half a dozen others on our list. Bell can tackle. So can half a dozen others on our list. Neither would be getting games if we were close to full strength.

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    We struggled to get a centre clearance and couldn’t take a grab I50.

When those two issues are corrected , we’ll go OK . Our defence had to work overtime all day as usual.
    It was quite noticeable that we missed Rampe a Lot today. With Rampe in the side, there is no way Dixon would be dominate and thus it would have been a very close match.

I feel it is easier for a young player to develop more rapidly when they are surrounded by talent that is performing well. During the halcyon years of Roos and the early tenure of Horse, my recollection is that most young draftees generally had to wait quite some time before finally earning a senior call up. With the team performing well, it was harder for a new young draftee to dislodge a senior player. But when they did, they had a lot of hard bodied senior talent to support and guide them. The team was generally settled, so the new kid wasn’t relied upon to carry a lot of the load, and there role in the side wasn’t shuffled around on a weekly basis. This season is very different. A glut of injuries has resulted in a much younger side that doesn’t have the game developed nous surrounding them, nor the hardened bodies. Thus, their youthful frames are also subjected to a greater physical battering on a weekly basis. Almost unprecedented in recent times is the mass turnover of our backline through retirement (Reg, Smooch & Macca), in-season adaptation of the forward line (this is an evolving situation but first it was Tippett, then Sam Reid, now Buddy) - we were at the point early this season where Paps was our focal forward: and then our decimated ruck stocks. When Sinkers first assumed the stop gap ruck role, his endeavour was lauded - but as he has become our last resort genuine ruck option, his performances are frequently maligned. And unfortunately it gives our mids little opportunity for first use of the ball and clearance. Also, the decreased rests between games has resulted in players rested at times ... without the benefit of playing proper reserves games to hone their skills. I fear that all of this this is to the detriment of their development.

Then again, I might be wrong
    Last edited by goswannies; 29th August 2020 at 11:16 PM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    I feel it is easier for a young player to develop more rapidly when they are surrounded by talent that is performing well. During the halcyon years of Roos and the early tenure of Horse, my recollection is that most young draftees generally had to wait quite some time before finally earning a senior call up. With the team performing well, it was harder for a new young draftee to dislodge a senior player. But when they did, they had a lot of hard bodied senior talent to support and guide them. The team was generally settled, so the new kid wasn’t relied upon to carry a lot of the load, and there role in the side wasn’t shuffled around on a weekly basis. This season is very different. A glut of injuries has resulted in a much younger side that doesn’t have the game developed nous surrounding them, nor the hardened bodies. Thus, their youthful frames are also subjected to a greater physical battering on a weekly basis. Also, the decreased rests between games has resulted in players rested at times ... without the benefit of playing proper reserves games to hone their skills. I fear that all of this this is to the detriment of their development.

Thoughtful post GS. Let's hope it fast tracks them and not harms them.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    I feel it is easier for a young player to develop more rapidly when they are surrounded by talent that is performing well. During the halcyon years of Roos and the early tenure of Horse, my recollection is that most young draftees generally had to wait quite some time before finally earning a senior call up. With the team performing well, it was harder for a new young draftee to dislodge a senior player. But when they did, they had a lot of hard bodied senior talent to support and guide them. The team was generally settled, so the new kid wasn’t relied upon to carry a lot of the load, and there role in the side wasn’t shuffled around on a weekly basis. This season is very different. A glut of injuries has resulted in a much younger side that doesn’t have the game developed nous surrounding them, nor the hardened bodies. Thus, their youthful frames are also subjected to a greater physical battering on a weekly basis. Also, the decreased rests between games has resulted in players rested at times ... without the benefit of playing proper reserves games to hone their skills. I fear that all of this this is to the detriment of their development.

You are not wrong.....yours is a realistic, sensible post.....in a sea of post-match glass half full optimism and glass half empty hysteria. Thank you.

Parker is cooked. Another poor game from him.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    sorrry the OMG was thurlow running behind Butters

just reminded me of how good it is in sport to push your opposition sideways or backwards so your defence can set !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

apologies stevoswan !!!!..........i wasnt clear but thurlow made it so !!!!!!
    One exclamation mark is usually sufficient.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    I
    who will replace this gap with the same dominance ?

will our junior draft picks balance the scales of past success??????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????

MB this is not about you vs me
    Question marks too
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    We struggled to get a centre clearance and couldn’t take a grab I50.

When those two issues are corrected , we’ll go OK . Our defence had to work overtime all day as usual.
    Rowbottom had been averaging 7 clearances a game over the last month or so. Against the Power he had 0.

We needed him to be better today.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Rowbottom had been averaging 7 clearances a game over the last month or so. Against the Power he had 0.

We needed him to be better today.
    Rowbottom received a heavy hit early in the match so quite possibly was playing sore.