Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Impact of Soft Cap reduction - changes to coaching and support staff for 2021

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    1. Source?

2. Where's he been?

3. What do we make of someone new being recruited after Tadhg, Stuey and Stevie J shown the door (and probably Lloyd Perris and possibly also Kizza and Smooch had some low profile roles and have at least been stood down)?
    Sister lives in Adelaide, sent an image from the Advertiser which said we got him from D's where he was stoppage coach.

Not sure how D's stoppages have been going or where McVeigh will now coach but a loyal son coming home is wonderful, don't you? I'm sure McV will be used somewhere else.

No idea really if it's true but saw the image and thought all on here should know what's in print put there. You'd never get in the Sydney papers.

Fascinating that the Adelaide newspapers know, and report, more about a Melbourne coaching staff member transferring to our Sydney team than our newspapers or club website. Melbourne FC have already removed Ben Mathews from their website - but I see they have another former Swan coaching their forward line - Greg Stafford.

It is heartwarming to have an ex-player return to the club, but less so when it is at the expense of other ex-players. Also, I didn't follow the Swans as closely back when Ben Mathews was playing and my memories of him are, a bit like the 2005 premiership, a little bit more hazy.

I wonder what the rationale for getting him in was. He's experienced - he's coached the Demons stoppages the past 7 seasons and was brought in by Roos. He could be a good option for teaching our youth and embedding in them the fundamentals of how we want to play. Good point about Macca - he was meant to be our stoppages coach and maybe he's going to be shifted sidewards "to further his development" in 2021. Overall I figure it's a good signing because we get someone more experienced who has fantastic connections with the club. He also hails from the same area as John Longmire - Corowa-Rutherglen - which probably made him more amenable to coming to Sydney than if he had originally come from Melbourne.

However, most importantly, I'm really glad you have shared the news. It's good to know what's going on and the club doesn't tell us that much or in a very timely fashion - that's one reason we come here.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Fascinating that the Adelaide newspapers know, and report, more about a Melbourne coaching staff member transferring to our Sydney team than our newspapers or club website. Melbourne FC have already removed Ben Mathews from their website - but I see they have another former Swan coaching their forward line - Greg Stafford.

It is heartwarming to have an ex-player return to the club, but less so when it is at the expense of other ex-players. Also, I didn't follow the Swans as closely back when Ben Mathews was playing and my memories of him are, a bit like the 2005 premiership, a little bit more hazy.

I wonder what the rationale for getting him in was. He's experienced - he's coached the Demons stoppages the past 7 seasons and was brought in by Roos. He could be a good option for teaching our youth and embedding in them the fundamentals of how we want to play. Good point about Macca - he was meant to be our stoppages coach and maybe he's going to be shifted sidewards "to further his development" in 2021. Overall I figure it's a good signing because we get someone more experienced who has fantastic connections with the club. He also hails from the same area as John Longmire - Corowa-Rutherglen - which probably made him more amenable to coming to Sydney than if he had originally come from Melbourne.

However, most importantly, I'm really glad you have shared the news. It's good to know what's going on and the club doesn't tell us that much or in a very timely fashion - that's one reason we come here.
    I also heard from a reliable source he is coming to the club

Ben Matthews,the player, was an official RWO whipping boy, back in the day.

Regular in the Side
    2 things I remember about Mathews the player. He was one of the SIX captains Roos appointed when Stuart gave up his Captainship midway through 2005. He should have captained in at least two games. He also changed to #4 from #36 when Lockett left but refused publicly to hand back the #4 when Lockett returned. He was top 3 in Swans Best and Fairest at least once.

For coaching, he was with Gold Coast since 2012 before head- hunted by Ross to the Demons. So among our coaching panel next year, he may be the one who has served the longest as an assistant at AFL level.

I'm looking forward to what Ben Matthews will bring to our coaching panel. He's experienced enough as a coach and is a premiership player. Always thought he was solid as a player.

Veterans List
    Just needs to get us to 50/50 on centre clearances.

And yes Bazza, he was a whipping boy and I will admit I belonged to that group. But he did improve with age.

And yes Bazza, he was a whipping boy and I will admit I belonged to that group. But he did improve with age.[/QUOTE]

there have been many whipping boys on this page who, like good red wine, have gotten better with age! (ie Benny, LRT)

Regular in the Side
    Mathews returns to Sydney has reported that the appointment of Ben Mathews - " .. finalises Sydney’s coaching panel for Season 2021, with senior coach John Longmire and assistants Dean Cox and Jarrad McVeigh joined by Mathews and fellow new coach Don Pyke. "
    Other personnel updates:
    - Jeremy Laidler will continue to work with the club’s reserves side, as well as with the QBE Sydney Swans Academy. (sharing the resources and reducing the share in the soft cap?)
    - Dennis Carroll is retiring
    - Brett Kirk - Head of Wellbeing and Development of the Club (not just the team?).

Regular in the Side
    The next generation of Kirks It is the latest piece of feel good soft promotion articles penned by Brandon Lack on the Swans site. Wonder if he is now working part-time in our " Media Department"? or just coincident ?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Mathews returns to Sydney has reported that the appointment of Ben Mathews - " .. finalises Sydney’s coaching panel for Season 2021, with senior coach John Longmire and assistants Dean Cox and Jarrad McVeigh joined by Mathews and fellow new coach Don Pyke. "
    Other personnel updates:
    - Jeremy Laidler will continue to work with the club’s reserves side, as well as with the QBE Sydney Swans Academy. (sharing the resources and reducing the share in the soft cap?)
    - Dennis Carroll is retiring
    - Brett Kirk - Head of Wellbeing and Development of the Club (not just the team?).
    Feel like they buried the lede, there. Dennis Carroll has been such a valuable culture-setter for a long time. A compassionate presence. All the best to Dennis in his retirement. Great replacement in Brett.

Go well Dennis Carroll! A huge loss. Part of the fabric of the Swans. End of an era.