Page 10 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 22 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    They're not positions. Just part of The Player Matrix, a system that won't become widely used until after 2030. I'm just giving RWO a special sneak preview.
    KB jumped the gun. He couldn't wait 10 days, let alone 10 years, to start using another Ludwigism. Happy to see KB is with the program, lingo and all.

Kinnear Beatson on choosing Logan McDonald over defender Denver Grainger Barras:

There wasn’t that much in it but when we looked at our list matrix and our needs with Tommy McCartin showing such good form last year going back we felt that there was more of a need in terms of securing a key forward.
    Link: Snapshot: Member's Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    KB jumped the gun. He couldn't wait 10 days, let alone 10 years, to start using another Ludwigism. Happy to see KB is with the program, lingo and all.

Link: Snapshot: Member's Forum
    CB and CF still don't belong, no amount of finessin' will alter that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    CB and CF still don't belong, no amount of finessin' will alter that.
    They don't in the Old System, but with KB already on board you might want to make the adjustment to the new way of evaluating the team matrix. The team matrix (short for player matrix of the team) recognises the rotations that take place between the midfield, forward and back lines. 21 players + a ruckman fit into the matrix, so there's no need for a bench line, an anachronism that doesn't reflect the modern game.

But I understand the historical significance of the 6 lines plus a bench. It's hard to break old habits.

It's interesting that the traditionalist who demand the recognition of the old positional lines, are conversely likely to be the most opposed to zones to apply those positions.

Possible Team for Round 1 (players get their chances to press for selection over the pre-season)

I'm assuming Buddy, Naismith and Heeney (all in our best 22 if fully fit) are unavailable and McDonald not quite ready to play consistent senior footy.

Cunningham Melican Lloyd
    McCartin Rampe Dawson

Florent Parker Stephens
    Hickey Rowbottom Mills

Hayward Reid Blakey
    Wicks Sinclair Papley

Hewett McInerney Campbell Kennedy

Idea would be for Mills to spend more time in the midfield but still help out in defence. Dawson roaming, not really playing as a defender. Kennedy likewise playing more midfield than forward. Hewett, Kennedy Hayward, Blakey, and Papley all splitting them time between forward and midfield with varying splits (e.g. Papley and Hayward more forward, Hewett and Kennedy more midfield). Reid can drop back if need be as an extra defender, likewise McCartin could be switched forward on occasion if we are lacking firepower (I would prefer to see him settle in defence). It is a bit tough squeezing all of JPK, Parker and Hewett into the team as the likes of Rowbottom, Mills and Florent develop but I can't justify dropping any of them quite yet.

Going forward in the season I'd be hoping for Buddy or McDonald to replace the second ruck (Sinclair) in the forward line and Gould to compete for a backline spot (maybe Dawson's, as someone forward or on the bench drops out and Dawson can move into their spot). Going a bit further forward, beyond this season, McDonald can replace whichever of Franklin or Reid retires first in the forward line. We still need to find second KPF for the longer term to replace the second of those two to retire. Along with a long term ruck option, those two positions seem to me to be our greatest list needs. Perhaps another goal scoring medium-small forward (like ET was meant to be) too. I wonder what KB would say.

Exciting times. Although our players are young and unproven, especially outside the 22, we seem to bat deep with not too many journeymen on the list (Fox, Brand, Gray, Taylor, and Clarke would be the only ones to fit this description). With the youngsters, they won't all make it but they all have upside and we get to watch and see which ones we most want to keep.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Possible Team for Round 1 (players get their chances to press for selection over the pre-season)

I'm assuming Buddy, Naismith and Heeney (all in our best 22 if fully fit) are unavailable and McDonald not quite ready to play consistent senior footy.

Cunningham Melican Lloyd
    McCartin Rampe Dawson

Florent Parker Stephens
    Hickey Rowbottom Mills

Hayward Reid Blakey
    Wicks Sinclair Papley

Hewett McInerney Campbell Kennedy

Idea would be for Mills to spend more time in the midfield but still help out in defence. Dawson roaming, not really playing as a defender. Kennedy likewise playing more midfield than forward. Hewett, Kennedy Hayward, Blakey, and Papley all splitting them time between forward and midfield with varying splits (e.g. Papley and Hayward more forward, Hewett and Kennedy more midfield). Reid can drop back if need be as an extra defender, likewise McCartin could be switched forward on occasion if we are lacking firepower (I would prefer to see him settle in defence). It is a bit tough squeezing all of JPK, Parker and Hewett into the team as the likes of Rowbottom, Mills and Florent develop but I can't justify dropping any of them quite yet.

Going forward in the season I'd be hoping for Buddy or McDonald to replace the second ruck (Sinclair) in the forward line and Gould to compete for a backline spot (maybe Dawson's, as someone forward or on the bench drops out and Dawson can move into their spot). Going a bit further forward, beyond this season, McDonald can replace whichever of Franklin or Reid retires first in the forward line. We still need to find second KPF for the longer term to replace the second of those two to retire. Along with a long term ruck option, those two positions seem to me to be our greatest list needs. Perhaps another goal scoring medium-small forward (like ET was meant to be) too. I wonder what KB would say.

Exciting times. Although our players are young and unproven, especially outside the 22, we seem to bat deep with not too many journeymen on the list (Fox, Brand, Gray, Taylor, and Clarke would be the only ones to fit this description). With the youngsters, they won't all make it but they all have upside and we get to watch and see which ones we most want to keep.
    I like most of this bloodspirit but may I ask what is your reasoning for giving JPK - our best club servant, our leader, our most reliable player and best midfielder - the boot from the starting midfield, in favour of Rowbottom and Mills, two players who have not proven themselves ??

Thanks, TheBloods. Just that, like our match committee, I don't put great stock in which players are named on the bench or the field, it's more the roles they all play. I agree with all you say about JPK (except it is debatable whether JPK or Parker is currently our best midfielder). I don't agree that Mills has not proven himself (not for nothing was he selected in the Allies State of Origin team last year), although I do agree he hasn't proven himself as a midfielder at AFL level. I'm happy to swap around where they are named, it's the 22 that matters to me. The most obvious fix is to name Mills in the backline but I wanted to make it clear that I want to experiment with giving him a more midfield role.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Thanks, TheBloods. Just that, like our match committee, I don't put great stock in which players are named on the bench or the field, it's more the roles they all play. I agree with all you say about JPK (except it is debatable whether JPK or Parker is currently our best midfielder). I don't agree that Mills has not proven himself (not for nothing was he selected in the Allies State of Origin team last year), although I do agree he hasn't proven himself as a midfielder at AFL level. I'm happy to swap around where they are named, it's the 22 that matters to me. The most obvious fix is to name Mills in the backline but I wanted to make it clear that I want to experiment with giving him a more midfield role.
    Fair tonk. Only reason I queried is because I still see Kennedy as the leader of our midfield. Parker is a superstar but he himself benefitted from Kennedy's return end of the season as the midfield as a whole performed better. Rowbottom hasn't proven himself, and Mills as you say hasn't played a full game in the midfield at AFL level. If there's 30 seconds left in a grand final and scores are level and you must win it out of the centre, then the positions they are named in does matter. I would not like our chances if Rowbottom and Mills were in there instead of Kennedy.

That being said I too like the idea of experimenting with Mills in the midfield. Kennedy is only human, and Parker will need a lieutenant by his side to dominate with over the next five years in Kennedy's retirement. Mills may well be that lieutenant.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    I still see Kennedy as the leader of our midfield. Parker is a superstar but he himself benefitted from Kennedy's return end of the season as the midfield as a whole performed better.
    Dead right 'Bloods - same thing happened last year, the team was far better performed with Kennedy's presence than without (see last years equivalent of this thread).
    It's not just his disposal count, his presence improves the aggregate performance of the midfielders

JPK may only have a couple of years left, I have no idea how his body and mind are holding up - but older players careers usually ended by a diminution of speed and/or frequent soft tissue injuries, and neither apply to JPK. So he's our best option as a "mid field bull" - and I am likewise unsure where the next one is coming from.
    Hewett seemed to possibly be on the right trajectory (moving beyond tagging) before injury, while Mills and Heeney are apparently needed elsewhere. Not to worry though, even if these options don't pan out such such kids seem to be drafted ready-to-play so we could get one in the next draft or two and they'd still be ready for our 2023 grand final team.

Pet Peeve of the week - Why do we call a player a "Mid field bull"? What was wrong with the term "ruck rover"?
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

I still have hopes for Warner - 19 years old, 2 games last year, 1.81cm and 80 kg.

This time last year the goss was about Longmire having a word to him about his aggression. I noticed him on Wednesday training, and he retains that feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I still have hopes for Warner - 19 years old, 2 games last year, 1.81cm and 80 kg.

This time last year the goss was about Longmire having a word to him about his aggression. I noticed him on Wednesday training, and he retains that feel.
    Probably could do with growing another 180cm or so

Gould is looking much slimmed and strong compared to last year - rated a big improver in the 2k.

Given his profile and draft description, maybe he is the reason we let Aliir go so easily.

A chance for Round 1.

Gould eyes 2021
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Page 10 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast