Page 30 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 22 2021

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    I dont think Rowell is eligible as he was already nominated in 2020.
    That doesn't seem to make a difference. The criteria are under 21 at the start of the year and to have only played 10 games or less.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    He is.
    And he's currently the odds on favourite at $1.30. The only other players under $10 are Ugle-Hagan at $7 and Green (GWS) at $9. Of our players, Campbell is at $17, and Stephens, Gulden and McDonald are all at $26. Personally, I'd have Stephens as our shortest priced chance.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    That doesn't seem to make a difference. The criteria are under 21 at the start of the year and to have only played 10 games or less.
    The criteria for that award are, quite frankly, bewildering.

Senior Player
    And he's currently the odds on favourite at $1.30. The only other players under $10 are Ugle-Hagan at $7 and Green (GWS) at $9. Of our players, Campbell is at $17, and Stephens, Gulden and McDonald are all at $26. Personally, I'd have Stephens as our shortest priced chance.
    Re Stephens: definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It's an evincive article, in that Dean Cox selected the 4 players.

The important comments were about Ling and Wicks, I thought.

It was foreshadowed last year that Ling was being trained up for a lock down small defender role. But with Cunningham, Fox and O'Riordan already playing that role, Ling will have trouble dislodging anyone from the backline. He could be a 7th defender with Cunningham taking some stints in the midfield. Braeden Campbell, a player with very similar attributes, has also been slated for backline duties by Longmire. It's good to hear that Ling is entering the season healthy and in good form for the first time in his 4 years at the club.

Wicks is developing into the player that we thought Ronke would be. The question is whether we will play a defensive forward, given the depth we have at small forward. Ben Ronke is a very determined player and will give it his best if fit, and his best game is pretty good. Bell, Squizzy, Campbell, Gulden, Ling and McInerney will all be vying for spots as outside players starting from either end of the ground.

It's indicative of the depth of young talent the Swans have coming into this season.
    Would a spot for Ling open up with Mills moving to the middle?
    I'd love to see Ling displacing Cunningham by the end of the year. Harry has been a great servant and given his all. But I don't think he'll be there in our next premiership tilt sadly.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    I'd love to see Ling displacing Cunningham by the end of the year. Harry has been a great servant and given his all. But I don't think he'll be there in our next premiership tilt sadly.
    Disagree on Harry. Underrated player still only 27. Versatile and very quick.

Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    I think we will go with the side we ended with last season, except that Rampe comes in to replace Mills. I also think it's more likely that Dawson will be the swingman ahead of Mills to go back and fill in for an injured backman, while Mills will settle in as part of the stoppage crew. But we now have several backline choices to go to ahead of either Dawson or Mills, namely COR, Gould, Ling and Campbell. BOC may also develop rapidly and look to get a senior game or 2 this year. So plenty of talent and not many open spots.

I disagree about Cunningham, especially now that he's in the leadership group. He should be at the top of his game this year. His defensive work is quite solid now. He also provides pace off the backline with a long kick, albeit not always the most accurate. He can also play through the midfield, even on-ball if need be.

It's hard to say how things will evolve during the season. It depends on which of the talented youngsters develops to warrant a spot in the senior side.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I think we will go with the side we ended with last season, except that Rampe comes in to replace Mills. I also think it's more likely that Dawson will be the swingman ahead of Mills to go back and fill in for an injured backman, while Mills will settle in as part of the stoppage crew. But we now have several backline choices to go to ahead of either Dawson or Mills, namely COR, Gould, Ling and Campbell. BOC may also develop rapidly and look to get a senior game or 2 this year. So plenty of talent and not many open spots.

I disagree about Cunningham, especially now that he's in the leadership group. He should be at the top of his game this year. His defensive work is quite solid now. He also provides pace off the backline with a long kick, albeit not always the most accurate. He can also play through the midfield, even on-ball if need be.

It's hard to say how things will evolve during the season. It depends on which of the talented youngsters develops to warrant a spot in the senior side.
    We do have a lot of depth in our list now, except probably in the ruck.

Veterans List
    Green didn't play more than ten games for GWS last year?? Wow....I'm suprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    We do have a lot of depth in our list now, except probably in the ruck.
    And KPFs. Buddy is in his twilight - can't see him being extended after 2022. It's hard to know how long Sam Reid will continue but he is nearer the end than the beginning. Logan McDonald was an essential and promising pick up and but is unproven at this stage. McLean and Amartey are forward/rucks and have clouded futures. Maybe Blakey could play forward in future, if required. That's not a lot of depth. If Paddy McCartin can come good though - that would change everything. He is the perfect age and could mentor and be a foil for McDonald after Buddy leaves.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Green didn't play more than ten games for GWS last year?? Wow....I'm suprised.
    According to the stats, he only played six. Which is surprising, since he debuted in round one. He's also got a rising star nomination, for his performance against Collingwood.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    The criteria for that award are, quite frankly, bewildering.
    No, very clear, 21 years of age or under, 10 career games or less. On what he showed in four games last year, Matt Rowell is a shoe in, unless he has a large chunk of the season out with injury