Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Preliminary Finals: the little season that could.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    IMHO, we didn't get the most out of Gary. I thought he always looked most dangerous as a deep forward, and we kept playing him out of position. He lacked confidence under us, and I suspect it was related to being given a different role all the time. Geelong have given him a pretty clear brief, he's developed confidence and is performing well. It’s a shame.
    I don't think Rohan got enough out of himself. He played 9 seasons with us and that time only averaged 9.5 disposals a
    game. In all that time he could have done a bit more. If he does better at Geelong well that is good for him and
    Geelong I suppose.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    or to have to put up with the media going on about how heroic/miraculous it is for them to win away from home!
    And it begins!

Contrasting styles collide in grand final like no other

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    For the first time in years I have no interest in watching the Grand Final.
    I might flick channels but that will be about it.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Upon reflection I hope the Tigers win the GF by 100 points plus and Chris Scott spontaneously combusts ...

... Whilst shaking hands with Dimma, who is collateral damage.
    Oh I'm sorry....I do not share these sentiments at all! Cats to smash a whinging arrogant Dimmer and his band of happily arrogant players and put them back into their arrogantly deluded box. Go CATS!! An infinitely more likable club and playing group.

.....and to those petulantly saying they won't watch the GF, have a fun boring day next weekend. Real footy fans.....

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Oh I'm sorry....I do not share these sentiments at all! Cats to smash a whinging arrogant Dimmer and his band of happily arrogant players and put them back into their arrogantly deluded box. Go CATS!! An infinitely more likable club and playing group.
    I agree about the players, I would prefer the Geelong players to win (putting aside how much I dislike the "heroics" of Danger-wood and the potential fairytale ending for the money-chasing religious zealot "little master"). But Chris Scott is another matter. Although I actually think he's a pretty smart coach, he's a very annoying person. It brings me no end of pleasure how much of a disaster their finals record has been since 2011. I don't want to lose seeing his angry face ...

I actually think the Tigers will win relatively comfortably.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    Having Buddy in the team was bad news for Rohan. Given some room at FF, he uses his pace to get into space on the wings, and his delivery has been great. Still tends not to stick all his tackles because of that pace, but certainly applies some heat. If he had been allowed to settle in that role, rather than having his magnet thrown around the board, who knows what he might have managed. I certainly think that putting the knock on him because of low disposal stats missed the point of the kind of player he is.

I really miss him, but also understand that it wasn't a case of us letting him go: he wanted to be in Geelong, just as Jetta wanted to be in WA, and I think that was great of the Club to not make those moves difficult.
    I agree with your first part.....Geelong identified what we were doing wrong with Gary, decided on his best role and have left him there to settle and develop and it's paying off. We mismanaged him, plain and simple, to the detriment of his career with us.

The second part however may be wrong. I don't think he wanted to 'be in Geelong' at all, he has spoken clearly of his desire to stay at the Swans and that he was a bit ticked off when the Swans forced his hand and virtually sent him home. Sure he's from that area and is now probably very happy to be there but he certainly didn't go willingly in the first place.

So, any 'unfinished business' he had at the Swans will now be finished with Geelong....and the Swans only have themselves to blame in not getting the best out of Gary Rohan.

Gary Rohan is playing marginally better Geelong as he was with us:

Career average kicks: 6.65, @Geelong 6.55
    Career marks: 3.28, @Geelong 3.35
    Career handballs: 2.91, @Geelong 2.00
    Career goals: 0.99, @Geelong 1.22
    Career behinds: 0.58, @Geelong 0.70

He just looks better in a better team, and fits better in a better team.

Also, Geelong knew what they were getting, and so he doesnt have the weight of expectation like he did at the swans.

Best move for him. Doesnt hurt us.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp

.....and to those petulantly saying they won't watch the GF, have a fun boring day next weekend. Real footy fans.....
    Not being petulant, just not interested. Guess I'm not the real footy fan I never claimed to be
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Best move for him. Doesnt hurt us.
    Not using him properly actually did hurt us....we wasted his talent. That hurts. Happy for him that he's found his niche at Geelong.....but I'm not happy for us.

Not using him properly actually did hurt us....we wasted his talent. That hurts. Happy for him that he's found his niche at Geelong.....but I'm not happy for us.
    What do you think we did to waste his talents? I actually think the Swans gave him plenty of chances and he is essentially playing the same role for them as he did us. Rohan is just the type of player that doesnt get into the game that much and hence for me why he seems to fail in finals as the additional pressure and lack of predicability works against his natural game.

I would be interested to see if he ever was a high possession player , even in his junior years. Strikes me more as someone who would have a great two minute highlights reel and would have stood out for it at junior levels.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Not being petulant, just not interested. Guess I'm not the real footy fan I never claimed to be
    On this not-a-real-fan thing....
    I am noticing a lot of people on RWO making spelling mistakes with players and officials names. It was highlighted
    last week in the posts relating to the appointment of Don Pyke to the Swans coaching ranks and the struggles many
    had with Don's four letter surname. Surely it's time to start calling into question a RWO posters "real fan" status
    when they make repeated spelling mistakes with players and officials names. I don't think claiming to be illiterate
    should be considered a valid excuse either.

I like to think everyone on here is a Swans fan.

Questioning whether someone is a “real” fan or not smacks of attempting to impose one’s own values arbitrarily on someone else.

Although I admit the spelling of Swans players’ (and future coache’s) names could be better.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast