Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: The Grand Final: curb your enthusiasm.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor 01 View Post
    One of the strange things I noticed in the GF. Geelong were in charge of the game until half time. After half time they started to fumble the ball, miss handballs, drop marks etc. This did not occur in the first half. Why the dramatic change?
    Richmond's pressure went up a notch, then another notch.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Why did we go back to 20 minute quarters once the finals were weekly?
    The whole idea of 16 minutes quarters was to allow multiple games per week, and once that wasnt required anymore..

The AFL needs to full review.
    Yes Indeed! A full investigation is required. I would suggest a 3 man independent commission consisting of Gillon McLaughlin, Andrew Dillon and Steve Hocking. That should fix things at AFLHQ.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    The night Grand Final to me was a fizzer. Not the game, but 29000 attendance and the waiting around all day to watch it. It seemed like any old game to 3 of us who watched it together. Almost an anti climax. The 2 bogans that went onto the ground were likely drunk and drinking all day. It has always been a concern of many people in Melbourne that idiots will spend the day at the pub and get into fights at the game.

No night grand final regardless of where it is played.
    I don't agree with all of this. I thought the game had a great atmosphere, even with the reduced crowd size. The entertainment was good with top PA sound quality (far better than at the MCG) and overall was a great advertisement for having GF's outside of Victoria.

Post Covid, with crowds back to normal and this stadium would be full and the atmosphere even better. As far as I know, there were no fights in the crowd, no matter how much drinking went on before the game.

I do agree with your last point though, I too want the GF to stay a day match. Let's face it, a lot of fans are families who would prefer to go in the daytime and GF's are just better with the spring sun beating down on that green green grass!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    The "Clayton's" grand final. Just a bit dull really.
    I think we should just all be thankful there was even a season, let alone a Grand Final. I enjoyed it.....just not who won.....but it felt like a Grand Final to me.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor 01 View Post
    One of the strange things I noticed in the GF. Geelong were in charge of the game until half time. After half time they started to fumble the ball, miss handballs, drop marks etc. This did not occur in the first half. Why the dramatic change?
    Richmond raised the heat and the Cats didn't have the belief of their opponents. Mentally and physically overwhelmed. Oh, there was also a kid named Dusty......

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I don't agree with all of this. I thought the game had a great atmosphere, even with the reduced crowd size. The entertainment was good with top PA sound quality (far better than at the MCG) and overall was a great advertisement for having GF's outside of Victoria.

Post Covid, with crowds back to normal and this stadium would be full and the atmosphere even better. As far as I know, there were no fights in the crowd, no matter how much drinking went on before the game.

I do agree with your last point though, I too want the GF to stay a day match. Let's face it, a lot of fans are families who would prefer to go in the daytime and GF's are just better with the spring sun beating down on that green green grass!
    Agree but ditch the non footy "entertainment". If you need that to get you to the game then your ticket should be allocated to a real supporter.

I realise that it is important to Channel 7 to keep the barrackers of non participants looking at the screen full time but that could be achieved by televising something away from the actual ground.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Does anyone else call Ablett 'the little master'? I think it's a Bruceism. He tends to bestow affection on his favourite players, unprofessionally.
    Luke Darcy calls him 'The little champ'. Maybe it's a channel 7 thing.

Oh, there was also a kid named Dusty......
    Indeed. My jaw dropped in amazement and I spontaneously clapped at a couple of his goals.

He is a genius player.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Yes Indeed! A full investigation is required. I would suggest a 3 man independent commission consisting of Gillon McLaughlin, Andrew Dillon and Steve Hocking. That should fix things at AFLHQ.
    Might start off like that, then extended to a 4 man commission needing 5 chairs to accomodate Eddie.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Agree but ditch the non footy "entertainment". If you need that to get you to the game then your ticket should be allocated to a real supporter.
    It not a priority for me but the 'entertainment' is going to be there whether we like it or not, so at least it can be good and be easily heard and it was at the Gabba.

Senior Player
    It not a priority for me but the 'entertainment' is going to be there whether we like it or not, so at least it can be good and be easily heard and it was at the Gabba.
    Enjoyed watching it. Don't understand why we don't have only Australian acts every time. Thought cultural cringe was long gone. Also, MCG acoustics are appalling.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Enjoyed watching it. Don't understand why we don't have only Australian acts every time. Thought cultural cringe was long gone. Also, MCG acoustics are appalling.
    COVID surely necessitated it this year. I don't think they're averse to international acts. They had The Killers in 2017 and The Black Eyed Peas in 2018

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast