Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 pre-season training

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Article from the AFL site today, on Mills moving to the midfield.

Enter the grunt: Why 'massive competitor' is finally training with mids

Longmire was a bit understated, using terms like, "a fair bit of training with midfield" and "a bit more time in the middle"; rather than saying, that we're excited to finally be playing our gun midfield recruit as a mid. Though I suspect that's largely Horse being naturally understated.

He also said that Blakey should be playing more as a mid and that they're looking to use Campbell as a defensive rebounder.
    The move to the midfield for Mills is long overdue.

As I've said in many posts, our backline is overstuffed with good talent. This in turn would simply squeeze Mills into the midfield. The same is likely to be true for Dawson, although I do like Dawson as a defender.

Melican, McCartin, Rampe, Gould, Fox, O'Riordan, Lloyd, Cunningham and Campbell (just added by Horse) make for a solid 9 player backline without either Mills or Dawson. It will be interesting to see how this sorts itself out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    The move to the midfield for Mills is long overdue.

As I've said in many posts, our backline is overstuffed with good talent. This in turn would simply squeeze Mills into the midfield. The same is likely to be true for Dawson, although I do like Dawson as a defender.

Melican, McCartin, Rampe, Gould, Fox, O'Riordan, Lloyd, Cunningham and Campbell (just added by Horse) make for a solid 9 player backline without either Mills or Dawson. It will be interesting to see how this sorts itself out.
    Are you suggesting (a) that we play a 9 player backline; and (b) that we select all of those players in the same 22? Can't see that happening. Gould, Fox, COR and Campbell are not all going to be selected in the same backline, especially not if we are also selecting the other 5. I reckon two of them might make the cut, and the balance of the backline will be midfielders who rotate back (like Mills and Dawson).
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

I wonder if the departure of Blakey snr whose was backline coach (I think) helped Mills move?

I read today in the Melbourne Herald Sun that Paddy McCartin has broken up with his long-term girlfriend, Lucy Brownless, and recently moved to Sydney to play with the Swans reserves. He is living with his brother and hoping to get a list spot with us down the track.

Regular in the Side
    It you like the above mentioned article on Mills Ready for Return to midfield interesting then perhaps you should get it directly from the Horse mouth and listen to https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=786316. This is a very in-depth (38 minutes long!) interview that covers a lot of areas. Highly recommended!
    Last edited by Aaron; 4th February 2021 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I read today in the Melbourne Herald Sun that Paddy McCartin has broken up with his long-term girlfriend, Lucy Brownless, and recently moved to Sydney to play with the Swans reserves. He is living with his brother and hoping to get a list spot with us down the track.
    I hope he succeeds and gets over his concussion issues, thence the club would put him on the roster where he could be a real asset.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Good move Paddy....it appears she's just an Instagram flake anyway. No future there......welcome to Sydney.

Interestingly, the article was not in the footy section of the newspaper but in the celebrity gossip section and focussed on their breakup. It seems that Lucy is more of a news story than Paddy these days.

Veterans List
    Team photo time with Cal. Pretty funny.....

Sinclair mic'd up at team photo day - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Are you suggesting (a) that we play a 9 player backline; and (b) that we select all of those players in the same 22? Can't see that happening. Gould, Fox, COR and Campbell are not all going to be selected in the same backline, especially not if we are also selecting the other 5. I reckon two of them might make the cut, and the balance of the backline will be midfielders who rotate back (like Mills and Dawson).
    I am suggesting that we have 9 good candidates to fill 6 or 7 backline spots (depending on how you view rotation players), even without Mills or Dawson in the mix. A couple of players, like McInerney and Ling, are more likely to fight for spots in the midfield with so much coverage in the backline. Brand and O'Connor will find it hard getting a game unless we have an injury to our KPDs.

I don't know where Dawson will play this year. Every line looks full. The forward line looks understaffed with fit players if Buddy doesn't come good.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    It you like the above mentioned article on Mills Ready for Return to midfield interesting then perhaps you should get it directly from the Horse mouth and listen to https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=786316. This is a very in-depth (38 minutes long!) interview that covers a lot of areas. Highly recommended!
    Thanks for sharing Aaron. I'm so happy that Horse is our coach. He oozes quality!

[/QUOTE]I don't know where Dawson will play this year. Every line looks full. The forward line looks understaffed with fit players if Buddy doesn't come good.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps he will also be moved to the middle.

Or start him on the bench and choose where he is needed after 5 min.. Sending him forward or back as needed.