Page 29 of 529 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979129 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

If we don't take Paddy McCartin in the Midseason draft, how about this kid Abaina Davis. Heard great things about him (from a close member of my family).

https://www.facebook.com/SturtFootba...8689375615935/

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    If we don't take Paddy McCartin in the Midseason draft, how about this kid Abaina Davis. Heard great things about him (from a close member of my family).

He's certainly changed, facially, from a boy into a man. I don't think I'd have picked him from an array of pictures.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

Would that be Ernst Ludwig.

Veterans List
    I'm guessing this thread is appropriate for this topic....the length of quarters.....as it relates to player (list) management.

'It flies in the face of the way world sport's going': Chris Scott on longer quarters

With the Brisbane/Carlton game going for a lengthy 136 minutes, this topic is back in the news again. Chris Scott wants to return to 16 minute quarters, other coaches have suggested 18 minute quarters. As a fan, I prefer 20 minute quarters.....let's face it, they used to be 25 minutes + time on, but they didn't stop the clock for out of bounds then like they do now, so actual quarter lengths didn't reduce much when they went from 25m + T/O to 20m + T/O. I can understand that two and a quarter hours is a long time to be running around but I did not enjoy the shortened quarters last year so maybe the 18 minute 'compromise' is a good alternative.....or leave them at 20m and don't call time on for out of bounds? A return to higher interchange rotations might also be a consideration. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I'm guessing this thread is appropriate for this topic....the length of quarters.....as it relates to player (list) management.

'It flies in the face of the way world sport's going': Chris Scott on longer quarters

With the Brisbane/Carlton game going for a lengthy 136 minutes, this topic is back in the news again. Chris Scott wants to return to 16 minute quarters, other coaches have suggested 18 minute quarters. As a fan, I prefer 20 minute quarters.....let's face it, they used to be 25 minutes + time on, but they didn't stop the clock for out of bounds then like they do now, so actual quarter lengths didn't reduce much when they went from 25m + T/O to 20m + T/O. I can understand that two and a quarter hours is a long time to be running around but I did not enjoy the shortened quarters last year so maybe the 18 minute 'compromise' is a good alternative.....or leave them at 20m and don't call time on for out of bounds? A return to higher interchange rotations might also be a consideration. What do you think?
    As always, Chris Scott showing pure self interest for mine - while they are motoring along alright at the moment, he knows his Dad's army isn't suited by longer quarters and might just get found out later in the season because of it.

Leave it at 20 minutes and stop fiddling if you ask me. I don't get why plenty of other champions over the past 2 decades (recognising the huge increases in fitness that have occured through the more professional era) have managed to play on till a fair age, but suddenly now its a 'problem'. I don't buy it.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

The AFL site published an extended article on the upcoming midseason draft, which strangely didn't mention Paddy McCartin.

Inside Trading: Mid-season draft contenders, ex-Crows trio on radar

Which I suppose is a good thing, as a number of other clubs, are likely to have a pick prior to ours. Though of course, if he isn't on the radar of journalists, it doesn't mean that he's not on the radar of recruiters.

A recent discard of ours, Michael Knoll, is mentioned as being likely to be picked up: as he's getting plenty of hitouts, playing for Norwood in the SANFL.

From what I saw in the reserves match against the Suns, I think that the club should pick up Paddy McCartin in the mid season draft. He looked very classy and I presume would not cost the club a lot in terms of salary cap.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    A recent discard of ours, Michael Knoll, is mentioned as being likely to be picked up: as he's getting plenty of hitouts, playing for Norwood in the SANFL.
    Didnt we pick up Grassy Knoll in the mid season draft a few years ago. Couldnt get a game ahead of sinkers, or even Allir in the ruck.
    Who would pick him up ?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Didnt we pick up Grassy Knoll in the mid season draft a few years ago. Couldnt get a game ahead of sinkers, or even Allir in the ruck.
    Who would pick him up ?
    The Suns maybe.....with their bare tall stocks atm.....but in reality, probably no one. He had a chance to prove himself and didn't make the grade.....but then, other clubs may think they know more than the Swans?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    The Suns maybe.....with their bare tall stocks atm.....but in reality, probably no one. He had a chance to prove himself and didn't make the grade.....but then, other clubs may think they know more than the Swans?
    Darcy Cameron best for the Pies last weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Darcy Cameron best for the Pies last weekend?
    Just don’t mention that other ruckman who went from the Swans to the Tigers

This is the player I want in the mid season draft:

AFL news 2021: Alex Rance, Richmond Tigers, Perth Football League C2-Grade, Swan Valley

The greatest defender I’ve ever watched play the game. Only 31 years old and lining up to play country football in WA.

Get him into our backline McCartin, Rampe and Rance “BOOM”.