Page 45 of 529 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595145 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Ok, I'm taking both your words for it. I'm still surprised. But then again it's an industry that is relatively hidden in the shadows despite the prominence of the player managers themselves who seem to pop up a lot, especially during trade period. It's unclear (to me) exactly what they do. Are player agent and player manager one and the same, or two separate roles? What is included in that fee? If that's just for negotiating the contract then it makes more sense, but I understood they provided a lot of other support to players, help them manage and respond to any scandals they're involved in, help them get other sponsorships and the like. Can you clarify? I'm certainly interested. I looked at the websites of TLA and Connor Sports Management and came away none the wiser - just a lot of flashy emptiness.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Ok, I'm taking both your words for it. I'm still surprised. But then again it's an industry that is relatively hidden in the shadows despite the prominence of the player managers themselves who seem to pop up a lot, especially during trade period. It's unclear (to me) exactly what they do. Are player agent and player manager one and the same, or two separate roles? What is included in that fee? If that's just for negotiating the contract then it makes more sense, but I understood they provided a lot of other support to players, help them manage and respond to any scandals they're involved in, help them get other sponsorships and the like. Can you clarify? I'm certainly interested. I looked at the websites of TLA and Connor Sports Management and came away none the wiser - just a lot of flashy emptiness.
    The fee is annually. They take a cut on endorsements and event representation they negotiate on behalf of players. You could imagine on average AFL players income of say $350K they pick up approx $10K plus whatever else they can get from other activities. If you have a portfolio of average players, you need to have a number of them in the portfolio to make a decent quid

I would be highly surprised if Dawson left, if his manager is trying to squeeze a bit extra out of us that is fair enough if there’s other good offers out there for him.

You can also understand why we would be trying to save every dollar we can, with a lot of good young players to receive upgrades in coming years.

But that is why you hold firm and don’t overpay for guys like Zac Jones - I’d much rather have the money to keep someone like Dawson.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I would be highly surprised if Dawson left, if his manager is trying to squeeze a bit extra out of us that is fair enough if there’s other good offers out there for him.

You can also understand why we would be trying to save every dollar we can, with a lot of good young players to receive upgrades in coming years.

But that is why you hold firm and don’t overpay for guys like Zac Jones - I’d much rather have the money to keep someone like Dawson.
    agreed - better player and better temperament

Yes, to be clear, it does cause offense. Up to you whether you want to take any of this quite thoughtful feedback on

I would love to keep Dawson and I think the Swans will prevail.

Someone mentioned that the Swans would require the Crows 1st round pick to do the deal.

If the Crows offered up (projected) pick 6-8 for Dawson, would that be a deal the Swans should take? It would be a great return on a player they took at pick 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post

Someone mentioned that the Swans would require the Crows 1st round pick to do the deal.

If the Crows offered up (projected) pick 6-8 for Dawson, would that be a deal the Swans should take? It would be a great return on a player they took at pick 50.
    I don't see why Dawson would want to go to a club that's been as troubled and unstable as Adelaide has over the past few seasons. The Swans have a great organisation and are ready to reload for a premiership challenge where he can play a major role.

If Dawson demands to be traded, I would definitely demand a top 10 pick. We would still be the losers in that trade. Why would we trade out a player who is playing like a top 10 pick for a new top 10 pick who may or may not develop into a player the equal of Dawson?

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post

How is it a great return?

Quote Originally Posted by bennyfabulous View Post
    That would be a great loss.
    Just had a look at Zac Bailey at Brisbane in tonight’s match. He is going to be great. He was taken just after Matthew Ling in the 2017 draft.
    Imagine we get another of similar player to Ling drafted on the pick from Adelaide who may not be as good a player or may take many years (just like Dawson to develop) and we would be set back by many years.

However if there are reasons other than money that make Dawson to head back, we should get the best return we possibly can.

Quote Originally Posted by bennyfabulous View Post
    Only worth debating if Dawson decides to leave. I want him to stay as he is a very talented player.

It’s a great return if you pick up a player at pick 50 in 2015 and sell him for pick 6 in 2021. You have turned your original draft pick of 50 which is not usually a great selection into a great selection. In the meantime you have also got 65 odd good AFL games out of a player.

The Swans have been great drafting the last 3 years. Only Taylor and you could argue Ling have not worked out.

The Swans can be very crafty with pick 6. It could mean that you can do a deal for another establishment AFL player like Shia Bolton, you can pick up an 18 year old you really like or you can swap for a future pick or picks because you know what’s coming through the Academy in future years.

The Academy makes draft picks better for the Swans than other clubs because you have more intel on a player in your own system than other systems.

I want Dawson to stay but give Beetson pick 6 and history suggests that the scouting team will make something good of it.

If we had all players on the field fit and firing .............. and we could have Alex Rance join us this mid season...........would Rance with a firing Buddy at the other end be enough for us to get into the top 4 and two chances in the finals ?

If we could get Buddy to Sydney is it possible we could get a player like Rance to Sydney?

It is a tough assignment to get into the top4 but it is possible with our draw and currently 6th

Rance, Rampe, Tom and Dawson would cover our tall rotation in the backline well enough to repel most teams

Rance is back playing local and make our backline seriously difficult to breakdown

For me with Kennedy, Buddy departing soon and same again for Rampe i sense our window is now and or 2022...........the depth at the Dogs, Port, Geelong, Melb, Brissie is very strong and unless we bring in a few serious players to replace Keenedy, Bud and Rampe we wont be a dominant top4 team in my humble opinion.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    • The best end of season recruiting option that I see would be Mabior Chol, which I mentioned in earlier posts. He's far from the best, but offers the most potential for a low cost forward/ruck who should be available. He would allow us cut Sinclair, so replacing a 3rd ruck option and backup forward with a younger one
    https://www.zerohanger.com/afl-trade-news-five-rival-clubs-trying-to-lure-tall-tiger-2021-84243/

I've been on about Mabior Chol for a couple of year it seems. Jon Ralph now reports that 5 clubs are after him. I hope we are one of the 5. I wonder if we could convince him he has a spot in our side, at least after the end of Buddy's contract and how having Buddy on our list, even at 35 yo, could be a deterrent to someone looking fort a permanent spot with us.

It's not surprising that he's come on the radar of a number of clubs, even though he hasn't quite shown that he's up to an AFL standard at a top club. There's still work to do to get him up to the level required.

Unless Amartey comes through, we don't have a good forward/2nd ruck in the McDonald era. We might have to go to the draft for one if we can't get Chol and Amartey disappoints. Hopefully Reid can hang in there without too many injuries until we can find a solution.