Page 485 of 529 FirstFirst ... 385435475481482483484485486487488489495 ... LastLast
Results 5,809 to 5,820 of 6340

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

I am trying to figure out the shape of our list currently. I know others have tried to do the same. I share my analysis and invite correction/comment.

By my reckoning we have 36 players (not including Clarke). The next question is how many are rookies. Wicks and O'Connor were elevated to the senior list last year: O'Connor and Wicks elevated (sydneyswans.com.au). I suspect Amartey and Sheather were all elevated when they were given 2 year deals also: Young trio sign on (sydneyswans.com.au). I think McLean was elevated at some stage also. McAndrew surely fills a Cat B rookie spot. Taylor we know will be rookie listed. I can't actually identify any other rookies with confidence. However, Rookie Me Central has listed us as having 5 picks available at the ND (16, 31, 39, 70 & 88). To me this suggests that we have 33 players on the main list (to fit with the 36-38 players you can have on your main list). If that's right, that means there must be a 3rd rookie player and also Clarke can't be on the main list.

So, assuming we have 33 senior listed players and 3 rookies, we can bring in up to 8 new players over the summer (3-5 on the senior list and the rest as rookies including another cat B rookie). I think that Paddy Mc is certain to be one of the rookies via the SSP. [Please can someone confirm that SSP players go on to the rookie list and not the senior list?] I suspect that since we have heard no announcements about Clarke he is staying with the club and perhaps that means he is going to be rookie listed but it seems odd that we have heard nothing about it. The talk is we will rookie list Anderson (assuming he doesn't get taken in the ND) - and he will conveniently fill the second Cat B rookie spot.

This leaves us with 5 more spots. A minimum of 3 must and will be taken at the draft - picks 16, 31 & 39. It seems to me we may take another pick late in the draft and then possibly another rookie, or alternatively we may take 2 more rookies.

If we pick late in the draft, I have some interest in Patrick Voss. He is apparently very versatile and a bit of a brute but not so good with his disposal (especially kicking) or athleticism (especially agility): Patrick Voss Draft Profile - Aussie Rules Rookie Me Central (formerly AFL Draft Central). The thing that piqued my interest was reading somewhere (I can no longer remember where) that Marty Mattner described him as having just about the best footy IQ of any player he had ever encountered. From a premiership player who played at multiple clubs, that's a big wrap! He might be a good rookie prospect but he's tied to the Giants Academy and so we would need to invest an ND pick to be sure of getting him, hence the suggestion that we use pick 70. Thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

Please can we take discussion of the best 22 for next season to the appropriate thread, which is this one: Swans chat Best 22 Round 1 2022 - Page 3 (redandwhiteonline.com).
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

An analysis of draft picks 6-10 versus 11-20. There is very little difference.

AFL Draft 2021 preview, analysis: Best value draft picks, early mistakes, who each team should pick, stats, history

How about this. Keven 'Shifter' Sheehan actually rates Angus Anderson as one of the best tall mids in the draft.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    I'm not expecting to draft Conway despite his wanting to play for us, for reasons similar to those you stated. However, he could be a useful pickup in a trade a few years later, after Hickey and Sinclair retire.

My remarks were more to highlight some similarities to the 2013 and 2021 draft picks.

Assuming we end up listing Paddy McCartin, it would be a very interesting forward line. However, I'm expecting Paddy to spend some time playing in defence.
    I would suggest he will spend all his time in defence

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Kennedy might be slow but like you say hes got smarts experience and leadership . Rowbottom is slow and has none of those things to boot . He 's nowhere near Jpk's level so if people want him in over a champion like Joey , it stinks of ageism .
    It might stink of ageism but the reality is as much talent and footy smarts as JPK has he can't run out of sight on a dark night. When it comes to chasing he ain't even bothering anymore. See ball get ball has always been his motto. A Kennedy family trait you might say. He can still do that so has value. But he has value in smaller doses in today's environment. Against a really fast midfield he can be a burden. Against a Bont, Petracca, Wines or Cotchin he can hold his own because they are not particularly quick. But against McRae etc he would struggle to keep up.

The changing of the guard is not a negative it is progress. There comes a time in every player's career when hanging up the boots is an option. Look at Pebbles, he got far too slow. JPK is getting there too. I was surprised he did not retire at the end of this season.

Mummy making more comebacks than Michael Jordan

Nominating for the draft so that he is eligible for he mid year draft next year if GW$ need him.

If we plan to pass with our final pick in the draft, I wanna see Sydney use pick 88 to draft Mummy - ahead of GW$ with pick 89, knowing he won’t want to play (so he shouldn’t cost us anything) and that GW$ can’t take him in the mid-year draft if they need him. And he’ll end his career as a Swan

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post

Wicks and O'Connor were elevated to the senior list last year: O'Connor and Wicks elevated (sydneyswans.com.au).
    I think that was a temporary measure, and that the language used in the article was a bit misleading. They were elevated to the "non Cat B rookie" list temporarily as there were players on the LTIL. That meant they were eligible to play senior footy during that season.

I have no idea who is on which list right now, and it's not helped by the blurring of the senior and Cat A rookie lists, but I believe Wicks spent last year as a Cat A rookie and O'Connor as a Cat B rookie.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    It might stink of ageism but the reality is as much talent and footy smarts as JPK has he can't run out of sight on a dark night. When it comes to chasing he ain't even bothering anymore. See ball get ball has always been his motto. A Kennedy family trait you might say. He can still do that so has value. But he has value in smaller doses in today's environment. Against a really fast midfield he can be a burden. Against a Bont, Petracca, Wines or Cotchin he can hold his own because they are not particularly quick. But against McRae etc he would struggle to keep up.

The changing of the guard is not a negative it is progress. There comes a time in every player's career when hanging up the boots is an option. Look at Pebbles, he got far too slow. JPK is getting there too. I was surprised he did not retire at the end of this season.

I dont necessarily disagree , if there is a better option who can see ball get ball like Kennedy and is faster then by all means , a mans gotta know when its time to step aside and Joey is the kind of selfless LEADER who would do that . There is no such player on our list so until there is , Joey stays .

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    I dont necessarily disagree , if there is a better option who can see ball get ball like Kennedy and is faster then by all means , a mans gotta know when its time to step aside and Joey is the kind of selfless LEADER who would do that . There is no such player on our list so until there is , Joey stays .
    Isn't there? More and more toward the end of the year, Papley, Mills & Parker or a Hewett were the starting three. At times Warner. The guard was changing as the season progressed. Like Longmire ai don't see Paps as just a small forward. His run out of the centre was incredible at times.

Heens also spent a bit more time there and JPK took a HFF. Kicked a few goals too. JPK started as a forward. I cannot see why he can't transition back there if the coaches want to change the mids going forward to a more settled future look.

Suspended by the MRP
    Isn't there? More and more toward the end of the year, Papley, Mills & Parker or a Hewett were the starting three. At times Warner. The guard was changing as the season progressed. Like Longmire ai don't see Paps as just a small forward. His run out of the centre was incredible at times.

Heens also spent a bit more time there and JPK took a HFF. Kicked a few goals too. JPK started as a forward. I cannot see why he can't transition back there if the coaches want to change the mids going forward to a more settled future look.

They are already in the team , i was talking about Ludwig 's idea of not fitting JPK in the 22 to make room for players not fit to lace Joey's boots , all those you mentioned are in the team already

I think you are on the money there. The positions are not as fixed as they are say in rugby. Throughout the game, there is alot of chopping and changing to suit the needs of the game as it plays out. That's why it's important for the players to be multi skilled, in particular the midfielders. I remember JMc having a crack at the centre bounces and doing pretty well. Expecting to see Heeney and Papley rolling through the midfield more in 2022.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    No matter how good you believe Buddy has been for our footy club his contract did hurt us in regards to cap space and since the cap shrinkage it has been monumental.
    When the time does come to evaluate Buddy's career at the Swans, both the cost and the benefit will need to be taken into consideration. I think more RWOers are coming to recognise that to be the case, than when he was recruited.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.