Page 154 of 529 FirstFirst ... 54104144150151152153154155156157158164204254 ... LastLast
Results 1,837 to 1,848 of 6340

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

A team like the Swans cannot stay down for long as the support just isn't there when we lose in a city like Sydney. We have done really well to be down a couple of years (after being up for sooo long) and then had some great success (H&A) this year.

One thing we can't do is waste the limited opportunities we've had at high draft picks!

We really need/needed Stephens and McDonald to be successful picks and both become stars as we haven't had an opportunity to draft that high in years (barring Academy picks).

There are some concerns around Stephens already and talk that we may lose him after just 2 years. That is a terrible situation for us to be in and if we do lose him we MUST get something decent back in return! We have to demand a top 10 pick and not get fleeced like we have on many of our other outgoing player trades in recent years.

The more important of the the two I mentioned is probably McDonald though. He has to become the player we hoped/expected when we drafted him last year! But more importantly, if he does, we need to keep him!

This is another important off season for us and may be the final building block to some more sustained success that we've been lucky enough to experience the last 20 or so years! We have to get it right!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

On the veteran's list
    When will the AFL release next year’s salary cap so we can get these contracts done. I will eventually get over yesterday’s loss when we confirm our stars are signed up.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    For this to be true, Melican would need to be on +$500k. There is no way that’s the case. Footywire must be wrong.
    That was my impression too. Footywire must be wrong. But when I look at some of the poor list management decisions we've made the past few years, I wouldn't be surprised if it were correct. The Swans used to be very savvy at list management, but there have been several questionable decisions made in recent times. The mere fact that we got ourselves in a salary cap dilemma, even though we have a young list, indicates that something has gone awry at Swans HQ.

It's not just this year, but how are we going to satisfy contract demands for all these talented young players we've drafted the past 3 years?

Let's see how we handle our list management now that the playing part of the season is over.

It was a great season that delivered a lot more than expected, even though it ended on a sad note.

Senior Player
    Disappointing yesterday, and I'm bleeding.
    But the cut could be deeper.
    Lots of positives from 2021.
    Gains from Gulden, Campbell,Hickey, Blakey etc.
    Queries over a few others.
    I am torn about Ollie Florent.
    Good ballgetter, finds space but his delivery is not improving as would be expected with the games he has played.
    When Gulden races into space, I feel confident that the outcome will be positive.
    The converse with Florent.
    He has good trade value.
    Is it a silly thought?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I've been watching some of the U19 championship game between WA and SA. WA have a fair number of talls, both forward and back, that look pretty good. The best of the lot is a name that's come up recently because his accurate goal kicking, Jye Amiss. He's not quite as impressive as Logan McDonald, but has similarities. Amiss looks athletic and is a strong mark, and of course, a very accurate kick for goal.

WA also had 2 impressive KPDs, van Rooyen, who also plays forward, and Bazzo.

Our 1st round live pick should be in 13-15 range, we will gain a spot if Essendon win v. WB, so I think we will have a few KPP choices in the 1st round and perhaps the 2nd round as well.

Corey Warner played, but didn't do much from what I saw. Looks a lot like his brother.
    Yes, I'm hoping that there's a decent key position type, around about our first pick. On the u19 championship, have the Allies played? If not, any idea when and where their games can be watched?

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, I'm hoping that there's a decent key position type, around about our first pick. On the u19 championship, have the Allies played? If not, any idea when and where their games can be watched?
    Its going to be really intriguing to see what we do with our first pick - I understand its not seen to be a particularly 'deep draft' this year, so early picks might be a premium selection that has to be taken (unless we trade out for next year). Do we ignore the draft for a KPD and run with what we've got (or target someone like Talia on the cheap as a fill in), and try to fill another gap, do we seek to trade out to next year's draft and strengthen our hand, so to give us more flexibiltiy knowing a bunch of important players need contracts both this year or next year.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    Disappointing yesterday, and I'm bleeding.
    But the cut could be deeper.
    Lots of positives from 2021.
    Gains from Gulden, Campbell,Hickey, Blakey etc.
    Queries over a few others.
    I am torn about Ollie Florent.
    Good ballgetter, finds space but his delivery is not improving as would be expected with the games he has played.
    When Gulden races into space, I feel confident that the outcome will be positive.
    The converse with Florent.
    He has good trade value.
    Is it a silly thought?
    Florent is an interesting one. We all are hoping he takes that next step, but just doesn't quite seem to be happening for him. I don't think its necessarily a silly thought at all - there is a lot of juggling going on at the moment, especiually while the AFL continues to sit on its butt and not get the salary cap sorted out already.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

The one thing holding Florent back from becoming a good player is his kicking into the forward line. His general field kicking is okay. I don't know why he makes such poor decisions at critical moments. Usually players become more composed and make better decisions as they gain experience and hope that it won't be long before the penny drops for him. I wonder if our coaches have been working with him on it.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    For this to be true, Melican would need to be on +$500k. There is no way that’s the case. Footywire must be wrong.
    There was interest in him from the doggies so maybe we got into a bit of a bidding war for him hence the inflated figure. Personally I would have him on 200k tops.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    The one thing holding Florent back from becoming a good player is his kicking into the forward line. His general field kicking is okay. I don't know why he makes such poor decisions at critical moments. Usually players become more composed and make better decisions as they gain experience and hope that it won't be long before the penny drops for him. I wonder if our coaches have been working with him on it.
    The kicking is one thing. His lack of composure in traffic is my biggest concern. Either gets pinged for holding the ball or makes a dud handball / kick.

Re: Melican, Swans may have deliberately back ended his contract (ditto Hewett) to ensure that his final year $$ make him a RFA.

To me that’s good management.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    So, I’ve expressed some of my frustration with Florent before.

He does a lot right, but he’s got a couple of specific weaknesses, and you’d really like him to put his hand up in games like yesterday and be a difference maker (if that phrase even makes sense).

I don’t *want* to trade him, as I’m loyal to our players and recognise the good bits in him.

But, we do need to be ruthless in the next couple of years as we build to a flag opportunity. And if we see a trade that will improve us (ie, access a KPD), then he’s the type of player right now who leaves himself exposed to not being seen as utterly indispensable.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I think Brand offers so much more than Melican.
    Even in Scrabble, I don't think Brand offers more than Melican - let alone on the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Re: Melican, Swans may have deliberately back ended his contract (ditto Hewett) to ensure that his final year $$ make him a RFA.
    To me that’s good management.
    Agreed, absolutely brilliant if corect.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Warming the Bench
    we have a kp in the rookies. paddy martin
    forgotten 1996
    2005 a much sweeter memory,2012 even better