Page 48 of 529 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898148 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veterans List
    Tom McCartin signed two year extension to end of 2023.

Dawson the important one now.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Tom McCartin signed two year extension to end of 2023.

Dawson the important one now.
    Dawson, Hewett, Stephens and Parker are the remaining 25 players out of contract. Besides Parker I could genuinely see the other three leaving (all potentially to SA) but god I hope not! Of the three Hewett appears to be the one we could most do away with as we have an abundance of inside mids ....

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Dawson, Hewett, Stephens and Parker are the remaining 25 players out of contract. Besides Parker I could genuinely see the other three leaving (all potentially to SA) but god I hope not! Of the three Hewett appears to be the one we could most do away with as we have an abundance of inside mids ....
    Unduly pessimistic. The only one of those I can see leaving is Hewett for more $$ and a more secure spot elsewhere. Would expect to get something back for him.

Dawson we have to keep. Parker will stay, surely.

Stephens you’d hope would show this year he’s deserving of a spot in the 22.

Hewett I think may well leave for more midfield opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Unduly pessimistic. The only one of those I can see leaving is Hewett for more $$ and a more secure spot elsewhere. Would expect to get something back for him.
    I guess I didn't articulate it well enough but what I was trying to say is that there is a real possibility that any 3 of those players could leave, but I highly doubt that all 3 of them will

Not an ideal extension from Tommy - two years?? I am thrilled he is ours until 2023 but i was hoping for a bit more of an act of commitment to the Swannies! Tom Mitchell never committed for more than two years at a time and i always took that as a sign that he was a potential flight risk and/or the type who was more about benefits than loyalty (& i'm not judging him for it - a man's gotta make a living!!) But he eventually decided five years as a Swan was enough, and was out the door by 23. Zak Jones never committed for more than two years at a time.. and then he decided six years as a Swan was enough, and was out the door by the time he was 24! Dawson has never committed for more than two years.. he's now in his sixth year as a Swan, and has put off contract talks. By the time McCartin's contract is up, he'll be in his sixth year at the club and he will be 24. That dreaded range!!

I dont want to be a debbie downer about what is great news for our future!! But i've grown weary of getting excited by key pieces of our future "committing" for just enough time to get them to their peak years only to see them depart once they get there!! Hope Tom is the exception to this rule!! OR if he does leave that he at least helps win us a flag in the mean time he he

Short contracts benefit the club more than the player, so I'm comfortable with 2-3 year contracts.

At the end of the day, a premiership team is built around players who buy-in big time to the club, and dont chase top dollar. Its almost a given that stars need to accept unders to fit in a premiership team. I'm sure the Bont could have got a few hundred thousand dollars more on the open market.
    So if Tom is buying into the next premiership, he aint going nowhere in 2 years time. And if he aint buying in, then we arent winning a flag anyway.

Some could say the reason the Giants havent won a flag is they havent had that sort of buy-in, and every year there has been an exodus of players leaving for better money. This eats away at the soul of a club.

Agreed that a 3 to 4 years is better in the case of McCartin but we will just have to wear 2 years. We should be right in the premiership window by then so him leaving would be unlikely. Certainly some priority re-signings left now.

You can't keep them all. As the young players we want to keep start to command more money, others will have to go. RB, Chad, JMac, Errol, Campbell, McDonald etc will all need bigger contracts than they are currently on. So it may be that we will have to let some favourites go, especially if they are offered huge money by a cashed up rival.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    You can't keep them all. As the young players we want to keep start to command more money, others will have to go. RB, Chad, JMac, Errol, Campbell, McDonald etc will all need bigger contracts than they are currently on. So it may be that we will have to let some favourites go, especially if they are offered huge money by a cashed up rival.
    Cheers Gillon.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Short contracts benefit the club more than the player, so I'm comfortable with 2-3 year contracts.

At the end of the day, a premiership team is built around players who buy-in big time to the club, and dont chase top dollar. Its almost a given that stars need to accept unders to fit in a premiership team. I'm sure the Bont could have got a few hundred thousand dollars more on the open market.
    So if Tom is buying into the next premiership, he aint going nowhere in 2 years time. And if he aint buying in, then we arent winning a flag anyway.

Some could say the reason the Giants havent won a flag is they havent had that sort of buy-in, and every year there has been an exodus of players leaving for better money. This eats away at the soul of a club.
    Lets not forget Barry that player managers have a big say in the contract length. If we pick up P. McCartin in the mid season draft that might precipitate an extension by Tom past 2023. Also the Buddy factor ceases with season 2023.

Dawson must be the next signing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Lets not forget Barry that player managers have a big say in the contract length. If we pick up P. McCartin in the mid season draft that might precipitate an extension by Tom past 2023. Also the Buddy factor ceases with season 2023.
    Buddy’s current contract ceases in 2023

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    If it’s eating away at the soul of GW$ it’ll go away famished as there wasn’t much of a soul in that manufactured monstrosity to start with