Page 51 of 529 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

While Stephens might be slightly behind the career tragectory of a pick 5 players, he's tracking ok for his age group. He suffers from a mild case of 'picktitus', where he's forever judged as a pick 5 player.

McVeigh was a pick 5 or pick 6, and he's well ahead of McHack at similar points in their career.

You'd only consider trading him if it was in exchange for a pick 1-8 in return.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Not delisting anyone. But we will have tough decisions to make and would prefer not to lose Hewett and Dawson IF it comes down to that.
    Hey Ralph there are other players on the list that you would delist or let go before you should even consider Stephens. I believe he will be a very, very good player, just give him time to develop.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    People say the Krakouer brothers had a special instinct for what the other brother was doing or planning to do, which made them such a dangerous duo. Maybe we could have the same with the Tom and Punchy show doing a smackdown at the SCG.
    One slip up and he's "Punchy'.......love it

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Hey Ralph there are other players on the list that you would delist or let go before you should even consider Stephens. I believe he will be a very, very good player, just give him time to develop.
    I don't disagree with that point, shame it's not as simple as that. Say one of the Adelaide clubs offers Stephens more than we do or a longer contract. It might place us in a position where we can't keep Hewett or Dawson. As opposed to a player like Sam Gray or even Ling who will be lucky to get offered anything of substance.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    While Stephens might be slightly behind the career tragectory of a pick 5 players, he's tracking ok for his age group. He suffers from a mild case of 'picktitus', where he's forever judged as a pick 5 player.

McVeigh was a pick 5 or pick 6, and he's well ahead of McHack at similar points in their career.

You'd only consider trading him if it was in exchange for a pick 1-8 in return.
    I am glad that people are comparing Stephens to McVeigh. I recall myself being concerned about McVeigh in his first couple of seasons. He ran around a lot but was slightly built and pushed easily off the ball. He had minimal impact.

If Stephens keeps at it and is dedicated then he, like McVeigh, can become a key player for us over time. He just needs to build up, become smarter with experience and begin to believe that he belongs in the AFL. At present he fumbles a bit under pressure (lack of confidence) and is easily cast aside.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    One slip up and he's "Punchy'.......love it
    That one “slip up” was a king hit.

The Hun has us taking Cody Raak in the mid season draft, which actually makes sense.

No Cookies | Herald Sun

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    It’s been reported we have spoken to Alex Mirkov, currently playing for Carlton’s VFL team

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    It’s been reported we have spoken to Alex Mirkov, currently playing for Carlton’s VFL team
    210 cm but raw as, a long term project ruckman but we need that rather than a now ruckman of which there probably aren't any AFL ready.

This MSD actually shapes as interesting, hopefully we do better this time. Appears WC & Freo aren't having a pick which makes us pick 11, that's a lot of players taken before us.

Hawks are up to something dodgy, a Box Hill player is the only one to put extra requests on his nomination, wants a three year contract after the remainder of the season. This would be the Hawks putting off the other 17 clubs so they can get him with their second rounder and not have to use their first rounder on him. Jake Niall in The Age suggested we may not be put off by such an audacious request. I'm all for anything that pisses off the Hawks! Rat cunning and dodgy are the Hawks, long may they languish at the foot of the table!
    Last edited by 707; 31st May 2021 at 10:42 PM.

Its interesting that many of the expected picks are players considered to be longer-term, development prospects rather than players expected to provide a more short-term impact. I thought that the original rationale for re-introducing a mid-season draft was to enable Clubs to potentially plug a gap due to injuries etc.? If its about development players then perhaps this draft is not needed?

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I thought that the original rationale for re-introducing a mid-season draft was to enable Clubs to potentially plug a gap due to injuries etc.? If its about development players then perhaps this draft is not needed?
    One of the problems with the value of the mid season draft is its order. If it is meant to be an opportunity for clubs to fill a glaring need this season then it should only be offered to those in finals contention (and perhaps also linked to clubs who have players with season ending injuries).

If the best available players are taken by clubs without any real hope for the finals this year, the only ones left are development picks - which really defeats the purpose of the draft.

Good point Matt although I sincerely doubt that the AFL would allow some Clubs to participate and ban others. It woukd be viewed by some as favouritism.