Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans vs Giants Solitary Pre-season Match

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Yes. He's competing with Sinclair, Amartey and McLean as the backup ruck, secondary tall marking target. Logan should lead the line in Round 1.
    Yes, it would be nice if we had some info on how Amartey and McLean went in the reserves, but so far, those two practice games are an information free zone.

I remember that last year, one of us prodded management into giving us some better reporting about the scratch matches that we were playing. Who was that again?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, it would be nice if we had some info on how Amartey and McLean went in the reserves, but so far, those two practice games are an information free zone.

I remember that last year, one of us prodded management into giving us some better reporting about the scratch matches that we were playing. Who was that again?
    It might have been me! It might be time for some more polite feedback

In the press conference, John mentioned the forwards kicked a few in the reserves. It would be interesting to know who is performing well. They offer slightly different things - McLean is a big guy and huge competitor, who'll bring the ball to ground in F50 and maybe free up Logan a bit. Amartey offers more mobility and probably more as the second ruck, which might allow Reid to play exclusively as a second forward.

In the press conference, John mentioned the forwards kicked a few in the reserves. It would be interesting to know who is performing well. They offer slightly different things - McLean is a big guy and huge competitor, who'll bring the ball to ground in F50 and maybe free up Logan a bit. Amartey offers more mobility and probably more as the second ruck, which might allow Reid to play exclusively as a second forward.
    Yes, the total silence on what our lesser players are doing, is almost starting to push me into the murky realms of conspiracy theory.

And I'm also keen to see if Amartey and McLean have progressed, as they both apparently came into the preseason in good shape. Oh well, we'll probably get to see them in the VFL coverage. Assuming that the AFL gets around to organising the fixture. It was due at the end of last month, and as far as I know, it still hasn't been released.

Yes. He's competing with Sinclair, Amartey and McLean as the backup ruck, secondary tall marking target. Logan should lead the line in Round 1.
    Whoa!!!
    I seem to remember another High draft pick selected at Melbourne that was greeted as a star recruit and the answer to their woes.
    Lets wind back on the expectations a little and give the coaching staff and the team leaders time to work into the system, the pace and the potential. I have enormous faith in this club's ability to care for the talent on our list and develop them into the best player possible.
    I would hate to see someone with his latent talent unable to develop fully or worse, hate being here and wanting to go home after 2 years.
    Having Reid, Sinclair, McLean or perhaps Franklin as the main attacking option will allow this outstanding prospect to enjoy his footy and this club.

McLean kicked 4 goals and Joel kicked 5 points!

- - - Updated - - -

Also I heard Gould had a good game. I don't know much more than that.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Great, thanks mate!

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks so much. That's better than nothing.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post

Actually thought McLean looked better than Reid up forward towards the end of last year. Sam a little bit of a protected species re selection.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Actually thought McLean looked better than Reid up forward towards the end of last year. Sam a little bit of a protected species re selection.
    I have a feeling Sam's protected status is under review, but he's better in the ruck relief role than McLean.

I have a feeling Sam's protected status is under review, but he's better in the ruck relief role than McLean.
    I agree re Sam. He looked slow and out of sorts yesterday (along with Rampe, Heeney, Hewitt, Bell)..

We just need to find a taller forward line setup as we were mauled by the taller Giants defence. Hope we don't put too much pressure on McDonald, but he did look good when he came on in the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    Whoa!!!
    I seem to remember another High draft pick selected at Melbourne that was greeted as a star recruit and the answer to their woes.
    Lets wind back on the expectations a little and give the coaching staff and the team leaders time to work into the system, the pace and the potential. I have enormous faith in this club's ability to care for the talent on our list and develop them into the best player possible.
    I would hate to see someone with his latent talent unable to develop fully or worse, hate being here and wanting to go home after 2 years.
    Having Reid, Sinclair, McLean or perhaps Franklin as the main attacking option will allow this outstanding prospect to enjoy his footy and this club.
    Graeme, you are 100% correct. If we expect Logan to be our number 1 KPF for R1, he will be on Harris Andrews. As good a prospect Logan is, it's pretty clear who will win that contest.

That's why I think he should be viewed more as the 3rd KPF / medium and displace Hayward. Poor Will has not had a good run of games as a forward for a long time now. Neither big, nor small, just seems lost and can't get into the game.

At the game, I thought Reid did alright, especially at ground level.

Surely the mismatch in height between attackers and defenders advantages the attacking team, provided you use it to your advantage i.e. you don't rely on winning the aerial contests if you're shorter, whereas you do use the aerial route if you're taller.

I would caution against putting too much pressure on McDonald too soon. He is clearly talented but he may not be ready to take the #1 defender week after week and for full length AFL matches (and seasons) yet. I think the club are going to give him that chance and he is a long shot to be picked for R1.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)