Page 43 of 46 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546 LastLast

Thread: Round 1: Brisbane v Swans @ the Gabba

Watching the game style on Saturday it looked similar to the game style of the 2013-2015 Hawks dynasty.

Good delivery by foot, holding possession of the ball and penetrating left foot kickers streaming through every line.

Great model of football to emulate as holding possession of the ball and moving it quickly (when space is open) allows less contested boundary line football and preserves the health and energy of players.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Watching the game style on Saturday it looked similar to the game style of the 2013-2015 Hawks dynasty.

Good delivery by foot, holding possession of the ball and penetrating left foot kickers streaming through every line.

Great model of football to emulate as holding possession of the ball and moving it quickly (when space is open) allows less contested boundary line football and preserves the health and energy of players.
    It could be the first time in forever, that an AFL rule change works in our favour.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    You're doing very well if you can remember most of the players who have played for the club since 1959. Over 600 players have played for the club in that time (plus a couple of hundred more who were on the list but never got a game).

Shane Fell played only 15 games in the 1990 season. We had seven players who only played games in the 1990 season. The others were Michael Kennedy (15 games), Matthew Ryan (10), Brett Page (1), David Wittey (1), Paul Starbuck (1) and Darren Denneman (3).
    Paul Starbuck was a fellow local who played for Chewton in the MCDFL (Maryborough/Castlemaine). I played for Maldon, then a powerhouse in the league. I played on him in one game.....and I believe I beat him on the day. He was good (and up himself) but I didn't think he was AFL standard.....which proved to be correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post

While I hate those wees and poos with a vengeance (always will after the disgraceful behaviour of their 'fans' on GF day 2014), I thought exactly the same thing on Saturday night at the game. If we continue to develop on the path we are, we will eventually rip teams apart in a way that the opposition will feel like they haven't touched the ball in the process.

Massive credit has to go to Longmire for the evolution of our approach too - many of us (myself included) have been critical of him at times in recent years, but he is showing an old dog can have new tricks, and you can see in his press conferences etc recently how much of a 'spring' he is starting to get from working with a young group that is 'finding its way' but showing all the signs of becoming a top quality football team sooner rather than later.

I do wonder as others have postulated on here at times, just how much of a bargain we have got with getting Don Pyke into the footy club as an assistant too.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post

Massive credit has to go to Longmire for the evolution of our approach too - many of us (myself included) have been critical of him at times in recent years, but he is showing an old dog can have new tricks, and you can see in his press conferences etc recently how much of a 'spring' he is starting to get from working with a young group that is 'finding its way' but showing all the signs of becoming a top quality football team sooner rather than later.
    The old dog has a pretty decent bunch of pups!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Paul Starbuck was a fellow local who played for Chewton in the MCDFL (Maryborough/Castlemaine). I played for Maldon, then a powerhouse in the league. I played on him in one game.....and I believe I beat him on the day. He was good (and up himself) but I didn't think he was AFL standard.....which proved to be correct.
    Don't be like that Stevo. I looked him up, he got 11 touches in his one and only game. Legend has it he moved to the US
    after his "footy career" finished and apparently has done quite well for himself in the coffee business.

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    The old dog has a pretty decent bunch of pups!
    And a Pyke

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Don't be like that Stevo. I looked him up, he got 11 touches in his one and only game. Legend has it he moved to the US
    after his "footy career" finished and apparently has done quite well for himself in the coffee business.
    Paul's Cafe de Footy?

Though I was thinking, that Starbuck is a much more NFL name than AFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Obviously.
    HAHAHAHA 555.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Gulden is playing some game!
    Cue the complaints about the academy from south of the border.
    That would be funny in this game as both have Academies

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    Just heard a caller on the radio suggest this is a start of the new dynasty at the Swans. Commentators mocked and ridiculed him and advised him its only one game. From my personal viewpoint, we have Kennedy and Franklin and nearing retirement and no one else is close. I believe we could be seeing the start of a new Dynasty and in 2022/23 I believe we will be premiership contenders.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Except that we also played three debutants in round 1 2016. Two of them played their 100th games tonight and the third has a claim to be BOG tonight (and isn't far away from his 100th - Driver Ave gutters permitting).
    The difference being Hewett did his apprenticeship in the reserves before debuting. All 3 debutants are this year's draftees. This could be a first.