Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Live: R4 V Bombers @SCG Thursday 8/4/2021

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Outstanding post. Attractive wining football is the key. The 1st three rounds had amazing attractive football. Round 4, despite the 4 points, went back to the old school swans boundary line football.

The round 4 game resembled a middle age man, thriving is his mid life crisis suddenly handing back his new Ferrari and getting back into his old Hyundai.

Like this middle age man, I want to see the Swans go back to the attractive Ferrari style football of rounds 1-3. If we can score 100-120 points a game with fast corridor football then the crowds will continue to grow as this style of football is great for the fans.
    It can't happen every week. No team plays like that all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    You’re kidding surely? Never seen a rugby league game that is more attractive than the worst Aussie rules match.

When there is a stinker AFL match there is a reason why people are warning it looks like rugby.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    It can't happen every week. No team plays like that all the time.
    +1. No team is allowed to play that way every week by the opposition.

The way Longmire adapted the game plan to get around the Bombers’ tactics. is one of the things that impressed me Thurs night.

We might have been thumped otherwise.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post

The way Longmire adapted the game plan to get around the Bombers’ tactics. is one of the things that impressed me Thurs night.

Damn that opposition.

If anyone wants to watch athletic grace with a guaranteed outcome, I suggest a season ticket to the Australian Ballet. Thrilling and majestic. But not competitive. Not sport.

Contest and uncertain outcomes are pretty core components of sport.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post

There was an interesting comments in the interview with Blakey after his re-signing where he noted that they were already training for those times when the opposition wouldn't let them rule the corridor. Might be considered a tad defeatist but seemed rather pragmatic to me and thus it proved last Thursday.

I've been one to say that attractive footy is winning footy and winning footy and entertaining footy. In the end, pro sports are a form of entertainment and should be enjoyable to the viewer, especially those who are the more dedicated supporters, like those who frequent this forum.

I, for one, have loved the way the Swans have gone about building a more attractive brand of football. And the results say it's winning football as well. It's something to get excited about for this year and for the next decade as well.

Part of playing attractive football is being adaptive, finding solutions to counter whatever the oppositions poses for resistance. I believe we have the right playing group and coaching staff to make this happen.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Even against a side that sought to curb our style of play, and was well and truly up for the fight, we would have scored 100 points had we kicked straight. I’m not sure we did THAT much wrong the other night.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Even against a side that sought to curb our style of play, and was well and truly up for the fight, we would have scored 100 points had we kicked straight. I’m not sure we did THAT much wrong the other night.
    Totally agree - we were playing a team that was relentlessly hard at it all night, but we responded and held on brilliantly.

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Totally agree - we were playing a team that was relentlessly hard at it all night, but we responded and held on brilliantly.
    Was my first live game since 2019.

Wow was it fast and the pressure relentless watching it live.

Credit to the swans , I thought they looked slightly the better team all night , even when they went behind.

I must sincerely throw my hand up to admit that I never saw this level of success coming. Hickey looks nothing like the player from preseason and the short kicking by all of the team is very impressive.
    Its funny but I feel like Gulden and Campbell look more effective at this level than they did when watching them at under 18s level.

The senior players did lead the way home on the night though in my view and Essendon had clearly done some work on the younger boys as they were not as effective as previous games.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Its funny but I feel like Gulden and Campbell look more effective at this level than they did when watching them at under 18s level.
    I don't think that's surprising. When you are surrounded by good players, you can focus on doing what you are in the team to do, rather than having to make up for the weaker players.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Outstanding post. Attractive wining football is the key. The 1st three rounds had amazing attractive football. Round 4, despite the 4 points, went back to the old school swans boundary line football.

The round 4 game resembled a middle age man, thriving is his mid life crisis suddenly handing back his new Ferrari and getting back into his old Hyundai.

Like this middle age man, I want to see the Swans go back to the attractive Ferrari style football of rounds 1-3. If we can score 100-120 points a game with fast corridor football then the crowds will continue to grow as this style of football is great for the fans.
    If our opposition cant counter fast moving, corridor footy, and we maintain our skill level required to pull off this footy, then sure, let's do it like we did R1-3.

However, if we're having an off day (does happen even to the very best) and / or our opponents counter with the hardness and tactics if the bombers the other night, it would be the height of stupidity to continue playing this style.

We need to be adaptable. Entertain where possible but what will bring the crowds and keep them is winning, pure and simple. And there are many ways to win.

After 4 rounds we have scored 446 points - next best is Footscray with 409.