Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 11 v Carlton

For a team having a winning season and who just lost a game by less than one goal, some people are really swinging the changes! I suspect there will be few changes. One or two.

Out Fox (INJ), Blakey
    In McInerny, Gould or Melican (if latta àaa¹er is ready)

PS There is zero chance that Rowbottom will be omitted unless he is injured!

Regular in the Side
    Out Fox Injured in Brand as we need a defender. Out Stevens because McInerney is better than him at the moment so comes in. out either Hayward or Blakey for Mc Donald.
    Stevens as sub.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    For a team having a winning season and who just lost a game by less than one goal, some people are really swinging the changes! I suspect there will be few changes. One or two.

Out Fox (INJ), Blakey
    In McInerny, Gould or Melican (if latta àaa¹er is ready)

PS There is zero chance that Rowbottom will be omitted unless he is injured!
    I went to the last 3/4 of the reserves today and I think Brand did better than Gould and I think Melican will come back in the 2nds so if Fox does not play I think Brand comes in.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    McLean had a terrible game on the weekend. But he played an important structural role - he really prevented Cox from having a large impact on the game as an intercepting defender. If you haven't watched Freo much, you might not appreciate how good he and Ryan have been for them.
    Whilst I wish he could have at least broken even on many marking contests, he is important to the structure and stays.

Blakey played a similar role in negating Ryan. But, his time with the footy in hand was was terrible. Would happily swap for McDonald this week.

If Melican is right, he's in for Fox. Similarly McInerney for one of the young mids - likely Stephens unless another needs a break.
    That's the most generous assessment of McLean's game I can imagine - he was embarrassingly torched.

Carlton is too tall on each side of the ground. There is no way we can control their forwards Pittonet, McKay, Koning with our cavalry without giving away free kicks especially if we get beaten in the middle.

First thing - fix contested balls.
    Second - stop Saad and Williams in back half.
    Third - stop Sam Walsh

Carlton play SCG well. If they get run from Zac or saad the ball will enter our defensive half too quickly.

Out - Fox, Stephens, Clarke
    In - Melican, Mcinereney, Lewis Taylor (sub)

Maybe out - Blakey if Reid available.
    Unless the weather is wet.

I would put Blakey in forward half. The experiment of him being in midfield is over.

It all seems to hinge on the (second) ruck. That’s assuming Hickey is fit which he may not be.

Sinkers has already been deemed an unplayable failure on here (and Horse implied his selection was an error last time he played).

Blakey is not the answer as demonstrated on Saturday.

Sam Reid being fit would be very handy but unlikely…

Which leaves Amartey? Naismith? Daylight?

We don’t know why McLean isn’t being allowed to ruck. It would make him so much more valuable.

Putting that problem to one side I think:

Blakey out, McInerney in
    McLean out, MacDonald in
    Fox out, Melican/Brand/Gould in
    I worry a great deal about Hewett (why didn’t they use him as a tagger on Saturday) there are better options e.g. COR

Stephens would have to be in danger of going straight back out and Blakey keeping his spot, purely as backup ruck.

Let’s see what Monday brings?

The monumental moment has arrived and it’s been much anticipated.

Outs

- Blakey, Fox, Wicks

Ins

- J-Mac, Gould, McDonald

Gould to debut. Much anticipated and and will generate excitement amongst the Swans community.

Carlton are tall, so an opportunity presents for McDonald. He’s done some time in the reserves and his time is now. He was pretty valuable in weeks 1-3.

J-Mac walks into the team if fit. We missed his ability to cover the whole right side of the ground.

I’m giving another chance to McLean (must ruck a little), Haywood and Stephens.

Wicks is a favourite of Red and White, however he needs to recover his zing in the twos.

Unfortunately (because I like him), I’ve lost some faith in Blakey. I speculate as to what impact not having his Dad around is having on his football. He just seems to be trying too hard (maybe fuelled by Swans fans losing faith in him).

When he gets the ball he always rushes and tries to do too much. He’s looking for the perfect play all the time. The simple play is often there. He reminds me of an out of form Batman who anxiously goes at the ball too early instead of waiting for the ball to come him or an out of form womaniser who is trying way too hard to impress.

He needs some time with a psychologist to build his confidence and settle his nerves.

I think with Blakey, things can turn around quickly and he can be a very damaging player.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    Carlton is too tall on each side of the ground. There is no way we can control their forwards Pittonet, McKay, Koning with our cavalry without giving away free kicks especially if we get beaten in the middle.
    Fortunately only 2 of the 3 Carlton players mentioned will be stationed in the forward line at the one time. In the absence of Curnow and McGovern - they have stationed Silvagni or Cripps up forward.
    So yes I think we will need to include Brand.

But Hickey's hurting, McLean isn't allowed in the ruck for some reason, Naismith has only played a single full game in the 2's, Brand is not a ruckman, and Blakey/Dawson are even less so.
    Which means it's Sinkers or Amarty
    I have no idea whether we can have Sinkers/Amarty, Buddy and McLean in the same forward line.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 24th May 2021 at 09:23 AM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    OK BF, who do think will back up hobbled Hickey/underdone Naismith/Sinclair next weekend?
    Blakey backs up Hickey if fit. Sinclair/Amartey if Hickey not fit. McLean can spend time in ruck if needed. JMac for Stephens or Wicks. McLean was poor but one bad game for a young player after a number of good ones is not unusual

McLean needs a second tall defender to have an impact. He got the best last week and struggled. Sam Reid in the team stationed closer to goal will help McLean but maybe he needs to come through 2s. If that is the case Amartey would not be a bad option. Haven’t seen him so cannot comment.

Sinclair is a big downgrade on Hickey and if we go Amartey / Sinclair we are definitely going to lose this one especially with their on ball brigade.

If our pressure is good they will make mistakes as they are woeful in their turnovers.

Brand for Fox seems like a good choice. Tall and should get the job done on their less mobile ruck forward. Maybe that is the best chance that Brand may have to cement his place. If he plays well we would have the best backline combo with talls well covered.

Regular in the Side
    McLean did go into the ruck against Darcy at one stage but failed to get a hitout. Not a real option. Blakey only an option as an emergency ruck, not a viable second ruck i the team. Naismith, Reid, Sinclair and maybe Amartey the only viable second ruck options and not really convinced about any. Hope Hickey is 100% or we will have trouble against Pittonet and De Koning.

I'd be dropping Blakey back to the academy.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast