Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 16 • Sydney Swans v West Coast Eagles @Geelong

Just finished watching the game on delay - had friends over today.

Wow!

I know weagles weren't playing well leading into this game but we murdered them. I'm not going to regurgitate the sentiments of others here in detail but:

Hickey - gave NicNat a bath today. I was at the corresponding game last year at Metricon and Natanui dominated. His opponent that day was Aliir but Hickey has shown what a proper ruck can do for the team. Hickster is in the top 3 rucks this year and is the recruit of the year.

Hewett - leave him as a tagging midfielder. Curbs the opposition's most influential yet gets his own touches. Re sign as priority please.

Blakey - now I don't want to take the credit but I was the first to suggest he had the attributes to be good off HB. He looked great and I loved his commitment, typified by the crunching tackle he laid. One game does not make a career but he definitely showed enough to be persisted with.

Wilbur - I got this one wrong. A few rounds back I called for him to never be picked again. Glad no one listens to me because since my rash call, he has taken Lever, Aliir and McGovern out of the equation for their respective sides, as well as doing the same to Haynes last year. McGovern didn't take an intercept mark until 4Q and I think Aliir only had 2 marks last week. Plus he still has been kicking goals so is not totally negative.

Great team effort. With players to come back, we're looking good for top 8.

PS Reid can come back via VFL - Amartey was great today and I think had a break out game.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    First emboldened comment must have you shocked! The UDL's should help there.

Second one....frees 18 all so they evened them up from an embarrassing first half discrepancy. Yes, there will be less talk about umpiring this week. Maybe Derm's accurate umpiring spray earlier this week had an effect? If so.....good!
    Yep. No UDL cans.

I reckon you would be a great bloke Stevo.

We should have a drink when Covid is over.

And great to see the boys wearing Swans AFLW t shirts for the warm up. Looks like Nike might be on board as a sponsor too.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I've always thought Amartey has had talent, but always wondered if he had enough to make it to AFL level - he has done that now. Whether he has enough to take the next step to become a regular choice over time and mainstay is still up for question - but a few more games like today (especially the contribution he made as a relieving ruck) and he is going to be very hard to dislodge. First time today I've felt that he has shown a bit of confidence that he 'can' belong at this level - for some players they have that from day dot. For some, it takes 50/100 games even before they hit that point. But all have that sort of 'light bulb' moment when they realise they are good enough to be good footballers at the AFL level. Maybe today will be that milestone for Amartey - I hope so!
    I really felt we saw that happen to Amartey today. Fantastic to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    And great to see the boys wearing Swans AFLW t shirts for the warm up. Looks like Nike might be on board as a sponsor too.
    Hear Hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Hear Hear.
    Nike is amazing. The way they supported Colin Keapernick (one of my favourite NFL players) will live long in my personal memory.

Nike looked at bigoted middle America and said “take a hike”. I support that.

Veterans List
    Aaron Naughton subbed off with concussion in the Dogs game. One high flying forward we now won't have to contend with next week.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Yep. No UDL cans.

I reckon you would be a great bloke Stevo.

We should have a drink when Covid is over.
    I'm ok. Where are you?

The team today just seemed to be perfectly balanced and everyone in their best roles ..loved the Blakey and Dawson roles …I know some of you got those totally tight in having tipped them as possibilities ..
    Papley and Heeney were probably our least effective up until some point in the fourth quarter when they provided their goals and flashes of brilliance …they still bring pressure throughout the game anyhow..
    And I absolutely love Hewett not just as a tagger but he’s also now so composed with the ball and time and spatial awareness

Quote Originally Posted by joeykanga View Post
    The team today just seemed to be perfectly balanced and everyone in their best roles ..loved the Blakey and Dawson roles …I know some of you got those totally tight in having tipped them as possibilities ..
    Papley and Heeney were probably our least effective up until some point in the fourth quarter when they provided their goals and flashes of brilliance …they still bring pressure throughout the game anyhow..
    And I absolutely love Hewett not just as a tagger but he’s also now so composed with the ball and time and spatial awareness
    By least effective I mean producing highlights ..I’m sure they were still applying big pressure and running around creating space for others

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Aaron Naughton subbed off with concussion in the Dogs game. One high flying forward we now won't have to contend with next week.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm ok. Where are you?
    Maybe when COVID is vaccinated. I could get you, MCS, TheBloods and JoeyKanga for a beer (or whatever) and discuss how much joy The Swans have brought us.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    Bell did really well today. I’m happy for him but he is the 22nd player picked. The interesting question for me is surrounding The Chad and RB. If they were both fit, I assume that one comes in for Bell. Would the other come straight back in? If so, who for? It’s not easy to choose.
    Warner every day of the week.

I want to say to say to James Bell “well done” . Keeps doing his job well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Warner every day of the week.
    If Chad is ready he’s in. I cannot believe he’s in Newcastle. Get him ready and fast.

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast