Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Round 17: the other games. Everywhere but Sydney, even Mars.

There is a battle for 4th, with the Swans coming like a racehorse making a late run from 4 back, 100m from the post.

and, a battle for 8th, of about 6 teams, maybe even Carlton and StKilda, with early top 8 locks like West Coast, Richmond and GWS all doing their best to fall out of the 8, while teams that had all but given up like Freo, doing a "Bradbury" and ending up in the 8 by accident.

Funny enough, our game against the giants has a massive bearing on both.

Win, and we can extinguish the Giants finals hopes. Lose, and we may fall out of the running for 4th, and will settle for a 6th or 7th finish.
    I dont think Hub life is doing the giants any favours.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Anyone got any theories how teams can fall away so dramatically mid-season a la​ Richmond and West Coast?
    Richmond has not handled the bye well. Richmond's implosion started after their bye.

West Coast is similar. Their last six weeks: 22-point win against Carlton (A, SCG), 4-point win against Richmond (H), bye, 55-point loss against Western Bulldogs (H), 92-point loss against Sydney (A, Kardinia Park), 10-point loss against North Melbourne (H).

Both clubs have lost all three games after their round-14 bye.

Clubs with a bye in round 14: Adelaide, Collingwood, Fremantle, Melbourne, Richmond, St Kilda, Sydney, West Coast. Some have played better after the break (Collingwood, Fremantle, St Kilda, Sydney). Some have been worse (Adelaide, Richmond, West Coast).

IMO a bye in round 14 is too late in the season because clubs with a bye have 13 games before the bye and 9 games after. In past seasons, round 12 was usually a split round, giving an 11-11 or 12-10 split. We should return to this schedule, with all byes over two rounds rather than three. Furthermore, every club's first match after their bye should be against another club with their bye in the same week.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I don't think anyone really expected the wheels to fall off the Richmond bus, as badly as it has.
    But we all hoped they would implode #anyoneButRichmond

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I was quite happy for them to win one, but three was really overstaying the welcome.

The only team in the top 12 I really don't want to win is Geelong. Unfortunately they are one of the prime contenders. It's a gut feel but, if I have to find reasons, I would suggest they are: (1) I view Geelong as our rivals more than the others - we both have had sustained success over the past 25 years with competing different approaches to playing and list management and they already have one more flag than us; (2) Chris Scott; (3) their arrogant attitude? Not sure if this is true/fair. Do others think they are arrogant? I don't like Joel Selwood as much as I used to, as impressive as he is. Don't much like their other stars either.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

The only team in the top 12 I really don't want to win is Geelong. Unfortunately they are one of the prime contenders. It's a gut feel but, if I have to find reasons, I would suggest they are: (1) I view Geelong as our rivals more than the others - we both have had sustained success over the past 25 years with competing different approaches to playing and list management and they already have one more flag than us; (2) Chris Scott; (3) their arrogant attitude? Not sure if this is true/fair. Do others think they are arrogant? I don't like Joel Selwood as much as I used to, as impressive as he is. Don't much like their other stars either.
    I dont think Geelong can win it. Already they have Cameron out with his second hammy of the year, and he's one of their younger ones. They are only a couple of hammy's or calf's away from straight sets exit in the finals.
    They would need a lot of luck to win it.

Historical data would show that one of the top 2 form teams at this stage probably wins it 80% of the time. So its dogs and melbounre's to lose.
    I was just looking through the TAB odds. Gold Coast are 26:1 to make the 8. Just beat both 2019 grand finalists. Tempting. They play tough teams, but hardly leave QLD.
    Last edited by barry; 13th July 2021 at 05:42 PM.

Veterans List
    I see them as a Victorian version of the Swans. A successful club with a great culture and for that reason, I quite like them. Plus my Mum barracked for them so I've always had a soft spot for the Cats....them beating the Hawks in finals and GF's and during the 'Kennett curse' years has brought me much joy!

No, I don't see them as arrogant (although some players have an air of arrogance about them) and as much as Chris Scott is annoying and petulant at times, it's not a reason to dislike an entire club IMO.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    as much as Chris Scott is annoying and petulant at times, it's not a reason to dislike an entire club IMO.
    Yes it is!
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Except this weekend, when it's #gotiges (or something).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Yes it is!
    I quite liked Geelong in the Harley/Thompson era, a southern ally against the Melbourne cartel. Scott has entirely ruined that, so I share your sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Except this weekend, when it's #gotiges (or something).

- - - Updated - - -

I quite liked Geelong in the Harley/Thompson era, a southern ally against the Melbourne cartel. Scott has entirely ruined that, so I share your sentiment.
    Exactly where I stand too.

From the AFL site:
    "SYDNEY'S premiership push has received another boost, with the Swans to return to happy hunting ground GMHBA Stadium, to host Fremantle in round 19."

Really? I suspect that it would have been more of a boost, to return home to NSW.

IMO I think we should push for as many games at the MCG as possible whilst in Vic hub. Gain valuable experience come finals time particularly if we somehow make the big dance.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast