Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sydney Bloods?

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    I'm starting to get the impression more Sydney based supporters have warmed to the traditional Red V jumper & it's history than ever before. The Red V was last worn as the official guernesy in 1986. Design was changed to reflect it's new Sydney base & not give new supporters impression this is a transplanted team from Melbourne. Much has changed since then. I starting to think if the club were to revert back to the RED V guersney on a permanent basis, the positive responses would far outweigh the negative. This is because i think the love of our club has evolved into something more deeper, than just whether jumper contains a Sydney emblem which reflects the city. I think the club may have been surprised with the response RED V had received this year (we didn't lose a game playing in it!).

If i can be cheeky to suggest the Opera House design can be worn for future heritage rounds!
    I think a simple fact that means a permanent move to the Red V won't happen is that there is already a 'Red V' in rugby league. That is probably as big an obstacle as anything - in a sporting market like Sydney, differentiation does remain important (sounds silly but it definitely has some validity). Unless of course the Swans were to take over the Dragons and they become one club (BTW i'm all for that - if you want to see a carlton like shambolic mess in rugby league, then that is the Dragons - very very sad).

As I've said on here before, I think the suggestion of using it as a Melbourne away jersey has merit and strikes the right balance between recognising proudly our history, and also recognising that the club is now very much the Sydney Swans. After all, next year will be 4 decades since the club moved to Sydney - while for many I'm sure it still feels like yesterday, it really isn't any more!
    Last edited by mcs; 30th August 2021 at 09:23 PM.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    As long as the club wears red and white for most jumpers, I'm fine with it. The Indigenous jumper is the obvious exception with the colours (red, white and some black for black swans).

I prefer the traditional South Melbourne jumpers, but that's because my love of the Swans predates the move to Sydney.

Any tinkering with the jumper should consider one thing: we have a women's side starting soon, and that offers an avenue to explore alternative jumpers. Perhaps the women's side should have a predominantly white jumper?
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234