Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 23 v Gold Coast Suns

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Selfishly ? Its for the good of the team .

and arent you supposed to be the one who knows RB and even you are saying you'd prefer Chad ? You will get in trouble for talking him up
    Sheesh. Any chance you can make like Menzel on track 5 of the Frozen soundtrack and … “Let it Go”?

and arent you supposed to be the one who knows RB and even you are saying you'd prefer Chad ? You will get in trouble for talking him up
    I do not know Rowbottom, TB. I know his family, and have met James several times. That is the extent of it. That wouldn't have become known if I hadn't had to defend personal attacks on his character and his professionalism that I knew to be unfounded and untrue!

Back to the topic at hand, I said that I would prefer Chad in the team right now, in a respectful way that did not denigrate or diminish Rowbottom's contributions. It is possible to do! There's nothing wrong with liking one player more than another! We would all be fine with you rating Chad over James if you kept it to that, and didn't accompany every comment with nefarious and nasty swipes!

I hope this gets moved to the appropriate Rowbottom thread, as you have managed to take a well-meaning comment about this week's selections and turn it into the usual antics, and I see I have fallen for it.

Senior Player

It’s déjà vu all over again 🥱

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries

Actually, no.

Most of us rate Chad. Most of us rate James, too. And what most of us have acknowledged is that whilst James has done well to play injured - something Horse has confirmed but you disputed - he's likely to be outside best 22 come finals because of that current limitation if everyone is fit.

See, nuance and logic. Give it a go some time.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

The problem I'm having with Rowbottom is his low TOG. I think we need to have players in the finals side who can go at least 75%. If that means that RB gets dropped in favour of someone who can go 75% TOG, and certainly Chad is the big name in the picture, but not the only option, then I'm for it.

I think there's a Webinar coming up with Tom Harley. The 2 questions I would like answered is the RB TOG, and if that can safely be ramped up, and what's happened to Matt Ling.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    The problem I'm having with Rowbottom is his low TOG. I think we need to have players in the finals side who can go at least 75%. If that means that RB gets dropped in favour of someone who can go 75% TOG, and certainly Chad is the big name in the picture, but not the only option, then I'm for it.

I think there's a Webinar coming up with Tom Harley. The 2 questions I would like answered is the RB TOG, and if that can safely be ramped up, and what's happened to Matt Ling.
    And are McDonald and Amartey also secretly injured

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    And are McDonald and Amartey also secretly injured
    It would help if we could get a reserves report. Someone mentioned that they thought McDonald might be injured. There's no reason to believe that Amartey is injured, barring news to the contrary.

Looks like they are not going to manage players.

I seriously hope they keep Campbell in the team. I liked the contribution he made as a small forward. I want to see if he can make that spot his own in the finals. I don’t see Campbell staying in that position long term.

People know my view on getting a more talented footballer to play Wick’s role. I want to see if Campbell has the capacity to give as much defensive pressure and intensity as Wicks. I’m not sure if Campbell can as Wicks’s defensive pressure is known to be elite.

If Campbell can give as much defensive pressure as Wicks then Campbell will be the small pressure forward.

It’s almost certain that 8-10 touches from Campbell are going to be more damaging than Wicks’s 8-10 touches.

I would love Barracuda to comment on the above as his comments on small forwards are known to be excellent.

Regular in the Side
    Longmire said Our reserves in the last couple of weeks have been playing really good footy. Would be nice if they could give us a more detailed report on who is actually playing and how they are going. Very frustrating for fans as with lockdown we are not getting any independent reports.

Opti-pessi-misti
    One thing I would like to know is is Rampe playing with some sort of injury all year as has Mills. It has not seemed to affect Mill's game too much - can't wait to see him next year free of injury - but Ramps has been playing below his best all year despite getting the job done more or less!

Back on topic, I am interested in the back 7, forward 7, midfield 8 rough structure. Obviously, there is some smudging of the lines at times (eg Heeney to the middle, Gulden forward) but I think that Longmire largely sticks to this structure with 6 of the 7 backs always in the backline and 5 of the 7 forwards always in the forward line.

For this game:
    Back 7: Rampe, McCartin, Cunningham, Fox, Lloyd, McInerney, COR
    Middle 8: Hickey, Parker, Mills, Dawson, Florent, Hewett, Gulden, Warner
    Forward 7: Franklin, Reid, Papley, Hayward, Wicks, Heeney, Campbell

It would mean:
    Outs: Blakey, Kennedy, Melican, Rowbottom, McLean
    Ins: COR, Mills, Warner, Lloyd, Franklin
    Last edited by liz; 17th August 2021 at 04:11 PM. Reason: off topic comments deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Looks like they are not going to manage players.

I seriously hope they keep Campbell in the team. I liked the contribution he made as a small forward. I want to see if he can make that spot his own in the finals. I don’t see Campbell staying in that position long term.

People know my view on getting a more talented footballer to play Wick’s role. I want to see if Campbell has the capacity to give as much defensive pressure and intensity as Wicks. I’m not sure if Campbell can as Wicks’s defensive pressure is known to be elite.

If Campbell can give as much defensive pressure as Wicks then Campbell will be the small pressure forward.

It’s almost certain that 8-10 touches from Campbell are going to be more damaging than Wicks’s 8-10 touches.

I would love Barracuda to comment on the above as his comments on small forwards are known to be excellent.
    Not unreasonable perspective. One thing I have noticed about Wicks is that his contested possession numbers are going up. What were once one on one contests resulting in him tackling are now contested possessions. Whilst Campbell is elite by foot Wicks is elite by hand in heavy traffic. He is tending to win one on ones and then hand balling to mids running in.

On balance though Campbell can do this once he settles in. He was bit hassled at times, and missed a few tackles. But his upside is greater. I wouldn’t be surprised if he explodes this weekend.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast