Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All Australian squad

All Australian squad

Disappointed Hickey didn’t make the AA squad. Slightly gutted Aliir did. Did we lose that ”trade”?

Hickey can’t have too many more years left (his knee not withstanding). Aliir almost certainly does.

We needed a ruckman. They needed a defender. But we could still use a tall rebounding defender who is an effective intercept mark … and will likely need a ruckman to replace Hickey sooner rather than later.

Congrats to Buddy, Mills, Papley and Parker. Can’t see Bud making it to the final side tho

Suprised Buddy made the cut tbh. He's had a good year but I feel like he made it on past performance.

Also Dawson was a bit hard done by. Has been more crucial to our team this year than arguably any other player, even the 4 that made the cut.

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Suprised Buddy made the cut tbh. He's had a good year but I feel like he made it on past performance.

Also Dawson was a bit hard done by. Has been more crucial to our team this year than arguably any other player, even the 4 that made the cut.
    Agreed.

Out: Franklin
    In: Dawson

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post

Magnificent post. I thought Dawson was very unlucky. Maybe the fact that he’s so versatile counts against him. I think he’s only played 8 or so games on a wing. If he played the whole year on the wing I think he will make AA.

We definitely did not lose the trade. Much like Sinclair for Jetta, it worked out well for both teams. Our defence is doing just fine and it may well have been that Aliir's style doesn't suit ours. It's also fair to say that we would not be in finals without Hickey, so I think it's win-win. I agree that Hickey could have been in the AA squad, but it's tough when you have Gawn and Naitanui ahead of you.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Gutted for my favourite player Jordan Dawson. Haven’t seen the actual squad yet but there will be less talented players who contributed less but come from Victoria. Also I really think that Tom Hickey did more this year than Nic Nat. Seriously I would be picking him if we were fielding an AA team in a real match

Hang the hell on a minute. Salem ahead of Lloyd, McInerny, Blakey and Dawson. Say what now???!!!???!!! Fritsch ahead of Heeney???? And Seedsman?!?!? Ahead of Dawson they can’t be serious. Sean Darcy OMG

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Disappointed Hickey didn’t make the AA squad. Slightly gutted Aliir did. Did we lose that ”trade”?

Hickey can’t have too many more years left (his knee not withstanding). Aliir almost certainly does.

We needed a ruckman. They needed a defender. But we could still use a tall rebounding defender who is an effective intercept mark … and will likely need a ruckman to replace Hickey sooner rather than later.

Congrats to Buddy, Mills, Papley and Parker. Can’t see Bud making it to the final side tho
    Depends whether you break it down as two trades or one. If you think we traded Aliir for Hickey, then I don't think we lost. We needed a ruck more than we needed Aliir. Sure Hickey is old and a bit banged up but he's also been a complete revelation and made a massive difference to our team. And we still have one of the best defences in the competition even without Aliir (although we'd love to have him playing in his current form). However, if you break it down into two trades then Port won their trade with us and we won our trade with West Coast. Overall I'm happy to call it a win-win. Even West Coast didn't lose because they had more use for draft picks than Hickey given that NicNat has been fit and in outstanding form and they still have Vardy as a back up.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Depends whether you break it down as two trades or one. If you think we traded Aliir for Hickey, then I don't think we lost. We needed a ruck more than we needed Aliir. Sure Hickey is old and a bit banged up but he's also been a complete revelation and made a massive difference to our team. And we still have one of the best defences in the competition even without Aliir (although we'd love to have him playing in his current form). However, if you break it down into two trades then Port won their trade with us and we won our trade with West Coast. Overall I'm happy to call it a win-win. Even West Coast didn't lose because they had more use for draft picks than Hickey given that NicNat has been fit and in outstanding form and they still have Vardy as a back up.
    I like this perspective. Hickey this year has benefitted our team more than Allir would've. It's not certain Allir would've had the same type of standout year had he stayed anyway. We got what we desperately needed although we had to lose a club favourite. I've still really enjoyed seeing what Allir has done this year and now Hickey is fast becoming one of my favourite players.

No doubt, Hickey has been a tremendous addition to the team, but as you say, it leaves us with a couple of spots to fill.

Harley mentioned on SEN today that Gould is going okay, but is learning to be a key defender. Brand has been a disappointment, but O'Connor could still be in the picture. It's hard to say due to the lack of regulation games the past 2 years. If we recruit Paddy McCartin, that might be good enough KPD depth going into next year.

Nick Blakey?

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    No Swans predicted to make the final list according to the AFL.com reporters. No Aliir either.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/670221/w...-make-the-call

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast