Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sam Reid is the Key Defender we need!

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I don't disagree with your observation on Reid, or that elements re the midfield

I do think we need another tall KPD. One: imagine if McCartin went down. We'd be royally screwed. Two: Rampe is 31 and can't go on forever. He's been remarkable and has a few years left in him touch wood, but we need a plan for life after him and there's no sign yet either way that Gould will definitely fill the void. And three, the best teams are now playing three tall forwards. We're a bit of an exception to the rule.

I get we can and have successfully used different methods to cover that, but an extra KPD is essential for our list going forward.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

I would say to Sam Reid - this is your last chance and we will put you in defence. He has played a few times in defence, mostly as a part time near the end of a qtr.

This will give us an extra year to try and find a tall defender to help out McCartin. With most other teams now having 2 -3 very tall forwards we really need to find more hight to assist an overworked defence.

I am not sure if Melican has the pace or skill to hold down CHB, but he did have a good last qtr on Saturday.

Also what about Paddy McCartin - is he a possibility or too big a risk.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny40519 View Post
    I am not sure if Melican has the pace or skill to hold down CHB, but he did have a good last qtr on Saturday ...
    The next LRT?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    I'd rather Dan Talia who is a proven commodity whom we can get for nothing trade wise as a DFA, providing he passes medical. Paddy McCartin as other Key Defender option.
    +1
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I do think we need another tall KPD. One: imagine if McCartin went down. We'd be royally screwed. Two: Rampe is 31 and can't go on forever. He's been remarkable and has a few years left in him touch wood, but we need a plan for life after him and there's no sign yet either way that Gould will definitely fill the void. And three, the best teams are now playing three tall forwards. We're a bit of an exception to the rule.

I get we can and have successfully used different methods to cover that, but an extra KPD is essential for our list going forward.
    Agree 100%. Gould and Barry O'Connor are our depth. How would have they fared against Jesse Hogan?

I would feel a lot better if we signed Paddy McCartin. He hasn't had a concussion this season and has played well both in defence and forward. We know he's a quality player. I hope there aren't any impediments that we don't know about that would keep us from signing him. If Paddy came on board, I would let Sam Reid go. We would have enough depth both forward and back. The salary cap relief is a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I would feel a lot better if we signed Paddy McCartin. He hasn't had a concussion this season and has played well both in defence and forward. We know he's a quality player. I hope there aren't any impediments that we don't know about that would keep us from signing him. If Paddy came on board, I would let Sam Reid go. We would have enough depth both forward and back. The salary cap relief is a plus.
    I’m all for signing Paddy, but still would like to retain Sammy if possible on low money as we need him for insurance.

Sure, his body is suspect and he may only be able to play half a season but Gould and O’Connor are unknowns at this stage. I’ve leaned the lesson with our rucks last year and so don’t want to get caught in case of injury to Tom Mc or Ramps- this could derail our whole season. This happened with my EPL team Liverpool, when our top 3 Centre Backs were all out with knee injuries for the season and they had to play midfielders to cover these positions. Played Peter to rob Paul and almost didn’t make too 4!

Hasn’t had a concussion, but one BBBH brain fade

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Next year Sam Reid is due to have a injury free season which appears to be a every 2nd year pattern. This is reflected in he's only managed 150 games from his 12 season career thus far.

Not sure if he can transition from part time to full time Key Defender. I'd rather Dan Talia who is a proven commodity whom we can get for nothing trade wise as a DFA, providing he passes medical. Paddy McCartin as other Key Defender option.
    Pretty certain the club is a Talia-free zone after the debacle with his brother.

The Reid to KPD suggestion has some merit, but Sam's ongoing tenure at the Swans is presumably first and foremost a salary cap issue.

I think there are better options than Talia, including retaining Reid as key defender. I would be worried about Talia's foot injury, which are always difficult to overcome. Not the time to recruit a 30 yo with injury concerns, especially since we already have one on the list.

Sam Reid has NEVER played as a key defender. He has gone back to play as an extra defender but he has never ever been accountable for a player like Jesse Hogan let alone a Tom Hawkins or Jeremy Cameron.

Sam has been a good player for us and deserves more respect than he often gets on here. The role he has played when fit is bloody difficult. If he stays on our list, he will need to stay knowing that he is not in our best 22 and so is remunerated accordingly.

Not the time to recruit a 30 yo with injury concerns, especially since we already have one on the list.
    Good time to re-sign a late 20’s player whose knees are stuffed and averages a game a year during the latter part of his career tho.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast