Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sam Reid is the Key Defender we need!

Sam Reid is the Key Defender we need!

Seen some weird posts on social media calling for the delisting of Sam Reid. McLean seems to have gone past him, and with the development of MacDonald and hubub surrounding him, you would assume Reid is set for the trade table.

I have thought for a while he is a much better defender than forward. With he and McCartin as the key posts with Rampe taking the 3rd forward and being more attacking, suddenly we could have a premiership defense.

Too good a player to not be playing.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

It would be a different story if the poor bugger could stay fit.

But one has to wonder how long we can persist with a player that doesn't seem to be able to string more than a handful of games together before then missing a whole bunch. But perhaps he will have a chance this off-season to have a full pre-season, something which I do not sense he has had a chance to enjoy very often.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Reid's not considered best 22 anymore and he's injury prone. No up side to keeping him on the list.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    It would be a different story if the poor bugger could stay fit.

But one has to wonder how long we can persist with a player that doesn't seem to be able to string more than a handful of games together before then missing a whole bunch. But perhaps he will have a chance this off-season to have a full pre-season, something which I do not sense he has had a chance to enjoy very often.
    Time to go... a lot of clubs would not have shown the same patience as us. Will always be remembered as a premiership player.

I'm still waiting for his break out game

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    Seen some weird posts on social media calling for the delisting of Sam Reid. McLean seems to have gone past him, and with the development of MacDonald and hubub surrounding him, you would assume Reid is set for the trade table.

I have thought for a while he is a much better defender than forward. With he and McCartin as the key posts with Rampe taking the 3rd forward and being more attacking, suddenly we could have a premiership defense.

Too good a player to not be playing.
    On reflection having Sammy Reid down back instead of Melican would have been a better option. I have sure Hogan would not have taken all those marks with Reid as his opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor 01 View Post
    On reflection having Sammy Reid down back instead of Melican would have been a better option. I have sure Hogan would not have taken all those marks with Reid as his opponent.
    For sure, Crackerdactor. Sammy is great down back and very versatile. I had him in the team against GWS and we would have won the game. Yes, he is injury prone so we need a partner- Paddy comes to mind. We need to keep Sammy- period.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Reid's not considered best 22 anymore and he's injury prone. No up side to keeping him on the list.
    Next year Sam Reid is due to have a injury free season which appears to be a every 2nd year pattern. This is reflected in he's only managed 150 games from his 12 season career thus far.

Not sure if he can transition from part time to full time Key Defender. I'd rather Dan Talia who is a proven commodity whom we can get for nothing trade wise as a DFA, providing he passes medical. Paddy McCartin as other Key Defender option.
    Last edited by KSAS; 30th August 2021 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Next year Sam Reid is due to have a injury free season which appears to be a every 2nd year pattern. This is reflected in he's only managed 150 games from his 12 season career thus far.

Not sure if he can transition from part time to full time Key Defender. I'd rather Dan Talia who is a proven commodity whom we can get for nothing trade wise as a DFA, providing he passes medical. Paddy McCartin as other Key Defender option.
    I'd be concerned that Talia has been delisted from the 2nd or 3rd last team. He must be shot, and his best fit is a team that needs experience ala gold coast.
    Paddy McCartin would have been picked up in mid-season draft if they thought he was any good.

I think we are better off developing a young'in or drafting or recruiting a young'in.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I've got two arguments against Reid, and one for.

Against No1: His body. I've always like Sam at his best, but it's hard to have any more faith at his ability to play a full season - particularly given blokes with that sort of history don't tend to get any better with injuries as they get older. We need to be ruthless about how list, and he's on the wrong side of the ledger right now.

Against No2: We've got three good young developing forwards - McDonald obviously, and then two who play a similar role to Reid in Amartey and McLean. They need games as we enter a premiership window, so sorry Sammy - but you're time is up. And as a defender, we're going to pick McCartin's partner for the next five years and develop that synchronicity. And you ain't got five years in you.

For No1: Next year is the last year we have Buddy (most likely). So, on a significantly reduced, one year contract, we'll keep you on in the hope you stay fit - and if we get you at your best, up front or down back, you can maximise our chances of nicking a flag before Buddy sails off into the sunset.

I lean to the former, as much as I like Reid and suspect the coaches do too, but just wanted to make the latter case for the sake of debate.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Can we have a different Sam?
    Sam Taylor would be great fit.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

I dont think our defense is the problem. We kept the giants to a low score.
    Our problem in the final was lack of big bodied midfielders around the stopage, which kennedy and mills cover.

I wouldnt be suprised if we look for organic growth internally for 2022. And Reid is not in that equation.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast