Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bob Skilton Medal

Senior Player
    I did reflect on Mills' missed games, but think he will score so well in the games he did play that he will overcome that disadvantage. He did not have down games.

I think Parker will be a runaway winner and that Mills would have run away with him, but for the missed games.

I think the 3, 2, 1 format of player's player gives Mills a decent chance to win that award. While Parker was super consistent, I reckon Mills would have clocked a number of 3 votes.

My predictions, like others, has Parker as winner, but a reasonable amount of shuffling in the other positions.

1: Luke Parker. Had a very good year, especially the latter part of the season, when Mills started to miss games. Topped the season’s stat sheet for disposals, tackles, clearances and contested possessions. Our highest scoring player in the Coaches Votes. One of only four Swans to play every game.

2: Tom Papley. Our only player to make the All-Australian team. He finished third in last year’s Skilton, when he almost singlehandedly carried our forward line, and I feel that he had a better season this year. He kicked 43/27, as opposed to 26/27. And in a stat that may surprise a few TV commentators, he topped the side for goal assists. His case should also be helped, by the bit of extra time that he spent around the clearances, where his breakaway pace was very impressive. Also played every game.

3: Jordan Dawson. Another who played every game, many of them quality performances, notable for his incisive ball use. I always get a little spark of optimism, when he gets the ball in his hands. Third in disposals behind Parker and Lloyd.

4: Jake Lloyd. Last year’s winner kept on doing what he does best: which is to relentlessly provide an option for his team mates in defence. Topped the side for uncontested possessions and average number of disposals. However, I don’t think he was quite as prominent as he was last season, probably because the ball spent less time in our defensive end.

5: Tom Hickey. Probably greatly exceeded the expectations of the large majority of fans. Not only did his tap work get the midfield moving, he also finished third for both clearances and contested possessions. His work rate also impressed.

6: Isaac Heeney. While he was our second highest scorer in the Coaches Votes and third highest goal kicker, it’s probably true that while he had some spectacular patches of form, he also had some quiet patches. Still, it wouldn’t surprise me if he finished a couple of places higher.

7: Callum Mills. I certainly think he will be leading the medal count, until it gets to his two game forced isolation and the late tendon problems. His move to midfield was certainly a success, not only for his inside work, but his tireless running and the ability to find space.

8: Tom McCartin. Developed into our best key position defender. I’m not sure what’s measured in the 1% stat, but Tom had 160 of them and our next best was Jordan Dawson with 96.

9: Lance Franklin. It was great to have a fit Buddy running around again. Topped the goal kicking for the first time since 2018 and also had the most contested marks.

10: Justin McInerney. Consolidated his place in the team with his beautiful ball use and his outside dash. Definitely one Swan who I love to see receive the ball, because I’m always confident that something good will happen.

Now that I’ve completed that exercise, there’s still a handful of players who wouldn’t surprise me if they snuck into the top ten: Kennedy, Florent, Wicks, Cunningham, Rampe, Hayward, Gulden and Hewett. Which I guess is an indication that we had a very good season.

Veteran Site Admin
    I "forgot" about Kennedy. Agree he could well finish top 10. He was good this season by any standard other than the one he set himself in the mid 2010s.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    There's no right or wrong. Just thought it deserved its own thread, and reckon this one will get a bit of traffic over the next 28 hours. Figured it was worth separating them.

As a general comment, if someone isn't sure that they are posting something in the best thread, it's often a sign that it warrants a thread of its own. If not, it can always be merged into an existing thread. It is (marginally) quicker for me to merge two threads together than it is to split a thread in two.
    Appreciate the advice. I know I can contribute to the chaos on RWO, but thankful for the work you and others do to keep the show on the road.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

I "forgot" about Kennedy. Agree he could well finish top 10. He was good this season by any standard other than the one he set himself in the mid 2010s.
    Yes, it's a bit of an odd one? My impression was that he had a solid, but unspectacular season, but he still finished fourth for disposals and second for tackles. But I guess I'm mentally marking him down a bit, because he doesn't really dominate inside, like he used to.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, it's a bit of an odd one? My impression was that he had a solid, but unspectacular season, but he still finished fourth for disposals and second for tackles. But I guess I'm mentally marking him down a bit, because he doesn't really dominate inside, like he used to.
    I believe his failure to dominate inside as much as he once did was, in part, by design. That is, the team knew it needed to move on and rotate more players through the middle. But did you notice how a player never known for his speed, would so often run through the middle or down the wing onto a loose ball and keep the momentum going forward, with his opponent trailing in his wake?

One of the things I most admired about Jude was how he reinvented himself in his final season or two, graciously giving up his premier on-ball role to become a pretty effective medium sized forward. I think we saw a bit of that from Kennedy last season too. Different reinvented role, but one he seemed to embrace. And he remained important, at times, in the crowded midfield, wrenching the ball free and setting it our way. Just not so much as in seasons past.

I believe his failure to dominate inside as much as he once did was, in part, by design. That is, the team knew it needed to move on and rotate more players through the middle. But did you notice how a player never known for his speed, would so often run through the middle or down the wing onto a loose ball and keep the momentum going forward, with his opponent trailing in his wake?

One of the things I most admired about Jude was how he reinvented himself in his final season or two, graciously giving up his premier on-ball role to become a pretty effective medium sized forward. I think we saw a bit of that from Kennedy last season too. Different reinvented role, but one he seemed to embrace. And he remained important, at times, in the crowded midfield, wrenching the ball free and setting it our way. Just not so much as in seasons past.
    Yes, he did seem fit. Hewett, too. Who in the latter part of the season, I noticed running into space more, and he seemed to have gained an extra half metre of pace.

In the Carey-Bunton Medal for best NSW born player, Mills and Heeney finished in 2nd and 3rd place, behind Hopper.
    They also made the nominal NSW State of Origin side, along with Rampe, Cunningham, Wicks and Gulden.
    Gulden also won the Stiff Medal for Emerging Talent. If anyone is contemplating making any of the more obvious comments, about the Stiff Medal for Emerging Talent, please go to the principal's office now.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    So far

RS: Gulden
    MI: McInerney
    Clubman: COR
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Senior Player
    I watched on mute. Anything interesting in the speeches? Where was John?

Regular in the Side
    I find it a bit concerning the first and third in The Best and Fairest well clearly deserved are not currently signed to the club

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I watched on mute. Anything interesting in the speeches? Where was John?
    Parker and Dawson talked a fair bit about taking this year's momentum into next year. Which I guess is encouraging, in regards to them signing new contracts.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast