Page 183 of 198 FirstFirst ... 83133173179180181182183184185186187193 ... LastLast
Results 2,185 to 2,196 of 2366

Thread: 2022 List management, trading, drafting

3rd pick I could see us taking a ruck maybe a ready made player from the VFL,WAFL or SANFL . Or maybe even a rookie list spot .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Was charitable of the club to rehab the Cray for life after footy.

Probably the right decision to let him go.....probably. Just hope our ruck division stays fit.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    A shame re Naismith's history of injuries, as he could seriously play - but the decision was the right and inevitable one.

The standout ruckman in the draft is Harry Barnett. He seems to be rated late twenties/early 30s in most draft boards - but a few do rate his mix of skills and upside as quite high. Wonder if we'd look at him with our second pick as a bit of a list-needs selection. Park him away for a season or two and develop him as Hickey's successor and Ladham's long-term sidekick - recognising you need at least two decent rucks on your list.
    There's a South Adelaide ruckman Verrall that is very good as well, rated highly by some SA draft watchers, even in front of Barnett, only need our pick 40 or could fall to the rookie draft but we're way out at pick 17 in that. Any young ruck is a project and is it an immediate need with Ladhams & Hickey the pairing for next two seasons, Amartey as back up.

I think the feeling is that the ND might not go that far into the 50's, but that will become clearer closer to the draft.

Regular in the Side
    The more I look at him the more I like Norwood's Harry Boyd. Rated by North Adelaide before the Grand Final along with their Mitch Harvey and Adelaide's Kieran Strachan as one of the best three ruckmen in the SAFL. Sam Hayes does not rate a mention. Smashed Harvey in the Grand Final and was BOG. Was Norwood's best for the season. Only 25 and has not been injured. Only second year in the system so is young for a ruckman. Similar build to Nankervis but with better tank and good overhead. Can play as a KPP as well. Ex Shepparton so not a great go home factor to Melbourne. Hope my redleg bias is not showing out after their one point grand final win but I would happily take him with our third pick.

Glad we finally know the 3 delistenings and can look forward to the Draft with clear air. Kinnear and the recruiting team know exactly what we need and which draftees are in our sights, subject to last minute draft pick swaps. We are in a premiership window now with the young team and Buddy and just need a couple of key recruits to be there in September. Go Swannies

Rick

When reviewing the available options with our first two picks and or bundling our picks for a nice early one.........do u see anyone in the draft that could make our best 22 like Gulden did in his first year and make the difference?

Sam Naismith interviewed on SEN this afternoon. Sounded frustrated with his delisting, believing his body is now right and wished season went 2 weeks longer to prove himself. Hoping to be picked up by another club. No mention whether we might Rookie list him. He mentioned Horse & Co wanted to keep him in cotton wool till 2023 after his knee op last year. Podcast link below. Interview starts at 1:05:20 mark on Today's afternoon show with Julian De Stoop (2nd Nov)

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcas...s/id1198117761

Edit: There is a separate podcast link for the Sam Naismith interview bit further below on the same page.
    Last edited by KSAS; 2nd November 2022 at 05:49 PM.

Auntie, there are plenty of suggested picks by many RWOs but we will have to wait till our real experts do their thing on Draft night. I hope we will take an experienced pick along with 2 best young talent.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Sam Naismith interviewed on SEN this afternoon. Sounded frustrated with his delisting, believing his body is now right and wished season went 2 weeks longer to prove himself. Hoping to be picked up by another club. No mention whether we might Rookie list him.
    If he's not picked up by another club, and we're not willing to rookie, he could be given a Swans VFL spot and try to emulate Paddy McCartin.

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    The more I look at him the more I like Norwood's Harry Boyd. Rated by North Adelaide before the Grand Final along with their Mitch Harvey and Adelaide's Kieran Strachan as one of the best three ruckmen in the SAFL. Sam Hayes does not rate a mention. Smashed Harvey in the Grand Final and was BOG. Was Norwood's best for the season. Only 25 and has not been injured. Only second year in the system so is young for a ruckman. Similar build to Nankervis but with better tank and good overhead. Can play as a KPP as well. Ex Shepparton so not a great go home factor to Melbourne. Hope my redleg bias is not showing out after their one point grand final win but I would happily take him with our third pick.
    Boyd looks a reasonable option for our final pick in the draft. He could go in the 1st round of the rookie draft, so we might have to take him in the ND if we are keen, which means a 2 year commitment. I don't know why we would be keeping McAndrew if we are planning to take a ruckman in the draft. The 3rd ruckman hardly ever gets an opportunity to play and is primarily a development spot.

It's sad for Naismith, but he's not right for a 3rd string ruckman, especially with his injury history. There might be a club where the fit would be better.

Some clubs will play 2 ruckmen, but the Swans have too many AFL quality players in the reserves to use a spot in the 22 for a 2nd ruckman, especially since we have several forwards who can pinch hit in the ruck, That's why the 3rd ruckman is a development spot and not one likely to see AFL action in the coming year.

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    The third ruckman situation could change dramatically if the AFL decides to go with the coaches preferred option of going to a 5 man interchange and eliminating the medical sub.

The general feeling is most clubs would then go to two full time ruckmen rotating off the interchange bench.

While Ladhams is the obvious choice there is not much in reserve if he or Hicky were injured

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Some clubs will play 2 ruckmen, but the Swans have too many AFL quality players in the reserves to use a spot in the 22 for a 2nd ruckman, especially since we have several forwards who can pinch hit in the ruck, That's why the 3rd ruckman is a development spot and not one likely to see AFL action in the coming year.
    If the clear standout best player in the reserves is a ruckman when an opening appears in the firsts - does the Ludwig Rule still apply?
    Would that player have to wait until the first's current ruckman was injured/lost form?
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 3rd November 2022 at 09:00 AM.