Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast

Thread: First preseason game v Giants in Albury

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Based on Fridays game and this news, we might just mark round one down as a loss. It was much more fun going into last season with limited expectations.
    Oddly negative comment, followed up by a compliment of sorts. Very "glass half empty" type stuff.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    I feel that because he doesn't ruck, he needs to show more to his game then just be a target in F50. I'd like to see him push up onto a wing and be used as an outlet out of defence. He's a really nice kick and a Logan - Buddy combination would be nice to see.
    Yes, it seemed (on that @@@@ty feed) that he played wing. I'll be watching this week.

Veterans List
    Based on Fridays game and this news, we might just mark round one down as a loss. It was much more fun going into last season with limited expectations.
    Carn, stevo - GWS are without their best player for the first six weeks and don't seem to be turning it up.

I don’t think we are going to lose round one. If we do lose round one then Stevo (Allan Pease’s) body language report will be a good read.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think 'accurate by foot' doesn't quite capture his skill set. Based on a couple of things he did on Friday, plus some of what I've seen of him at training, I think he has the ability to spot and pull off high difficulty, punchy kicks. In future years we may find ourselves drooling over his kicking highlight reel and arguing whether he, Campbell or Gulden is the best kick in the team.
    I haven't seen the game, but since I respect your opinion, I went back and looked at the draft previews: wondering why we got him so cheap?
    This one backs up what you were saying about his kicking.

Lachlan Rankin Draft Profile - Aussie Rules Rookie Me Central (formerly AFL Draft Central)

But what I really like, is that they emphasise his spacial awareness and his ability to choose the correct option under pressure. The only knock on him, was they thought that, even though he roved a pack beautifully, he was perhaps a bit lean to win contested balls. His weight on that profile was 68kg. In the AFL Record, he's listed at 73kg. So hopefully, it will be much the same deal as Errol. That is, we got him under a 'too small' discount, but the too small rapidly became irrelevant.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Goal Sneak View Post
    Oddly negative comment, followed up by a compliment of sorts. Very "glass half empty" type stuff.
    Yes it was glass half empty....but warranted after such an insipid, mistake laden performance that bore no resemblance to the exiting brand of footy we played for most of last season. We'll revisit this after round one.

Bangalore, there will be no body language assessments....if we lose, there will be soooo many other reasons. Of course, I hope we win.....just not buoyed by Fridays game. Were you impressed enough to predict big things for 2022....or even round one?

Yes it was glass half empty....but warranted after such an insipid, mistake laden performance that bore no resemblance to the exiting brand of footy we played for most of last season. We'll revisit this after round one.

Bangalore, there will be no body language assessments....if we lose, there will be soooo many other reasons. Of course, I hope we win.....just not buoyed by Fridays game. Were you impressed enough to predict big things for 2022....or even round one?
    You've called me out for being negative when I stated one time that Rowbottom was lucky not to have been penalised for holding the ball. Now here you are, after one trial match, with multiple, negative and overly-dramatic comments.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Goal Sneak View Post
    You've called me out for being negative when I stated one time that Rowbottom was lucky not to have been penalised for holding the ball. Now here you are, after one trial match, with multiple, negative and overly-dramatic comments.
    Oi....negativity isn't actually banned on RWO! Don't be sensitive if someone has a go at you for joining the unpopular 'bagging of Rowbottom' minority club, which must be how I took your post, rightly or wrongly.

He wasn't holding the ball anyway....he should have got a free for high contact from Selwood (I presume you are referring to the game against Geelong last season?).

Besides, 'over dramatics' is a gimme on a footy forum. We all go there at some point.

What the swans have taught us many times over the past 20 odd years is to read very little into pre-season form, in particular the first run out. I wouldn't want to see similar on Sunday against North, I want to see good signs of progress - but recognise that it is pre-season after all, and we have never worried as a club about results in it for a very long time.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Has anyone gone back and watched a replay?

We kept a lot of our talent on still in the 3rd qtr when GWS removed almost their whole forward line of Himmelberg, Lloyd, Hogan, Ricarrdi etc

GWS if they kept that starting forward line probably would have put on another 5 to 8 goals

My concern is that our backline cant match GWS again come finals 2022 if both teams make it

My other concern is that Haynes, Leek, Taylor, Davis, Ash, Whitfield etc have our forward match up covered

My last concern is that at our best midfield vs GWS best midfield isnt in our favour either

So can a better team beat a bunch of superior indvs?

YES

BUT considering Taylor and Haynes didnt even play against us in this intra game that would be like us not having T.McCartin and or Rampe in the first 3 qtrs vs GWS last wknd............if T McCartin and Rampe were missing it would have been total destruction

Are GWS ahead of us significantly for 2022?

Does that mean we may struggle to make the top4?

Is not making the top4 a concern for our team while we still have Kennedy and Bud in 2022 and probably our best chance
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Has anyone gone back and watched a replay?

We kept a lot of our talent on still in the 3rd qtr when GWS removed almost their whole forward line of Himmelberg, Lloyd, Hogan, Ricarrdi etc

GWS if they kept that starting forward line probably would have put on another 5 to 8 goals

My concern is that our backline cant match GWS again come finals 2022 if both teams make it

My other concern is that Haynes, Leek, Taylor, Davis, Ash, Whitfield etc have our forward match up covered

My last concern is that at our best midfield vs GWS best midfield isnt in our favour either

So can a better team beat a bunch of superior indvs?

YES

BUT considering Taylor and Haynes didnt even play against us in this intra game that would be like us not having T.McCartin and or Rampe in the first 3 qtrs vs GWS last wknd............if T McCartin and Rampe were missing it would have been total destruction

Are GWS ahead of us significantly for 2022?

Does that mean we may struggle to make the top4?

Is not making the top4 a concern for our team while we still have Kennedy and Bud in 2022 and probably our best chance
    Great post and addresses my concerns perfectly. I guess we'll find out in Round One but my assessment at this point is that GWS have our measure. Of course, happy to be proven wrong on this.....and sincerely hope I am.

Great post and addresses my concerns perfectly. I guess we'll find out in Round One but my assessment at this point is that GWS have our measure. Of course, happy to be proven wrong on this.....and sincerely hope I am.
    The trial looks to have curbed some enthusiasm for the upcoming season. GWS are a talented side and seem to match up on us well. Also don't underestimate just how much they love to beat the Swans. They turn up to play us every time. This is not something that can be said of them against other teams, although I do consider them a chance at finishing top 4.

It's always a struggle to make the top 4 no matter what, so yes, we will struggle to make the top 4!

Based on last year, I think we should have a strong belief that we can go further. The trouble is, there are a bunch of other teams thinking the exact same thing.

Hopefully we can turn up today and play some decent footy and lift everyone's hopes to where they were last year.