Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 2nd preseason game v North

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I was driving back to Sydney from Canberra while the match was played. Anyone know where I can find a replay of the game?
    AFL app. Just click on 'matches' and on each match, there's a 'watch replay' button.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Another grenade launched.....well done. 'Great' to see you keeping up your tactic of subtle agitation BS .

The 'comparison' is pointless....most of us agree Chad has it over RB in the 'class' department, the argument now just seems to be 'is RB worthy?'.

He has proven beyond a doubt (to unbiased Swans fans anyway) that he is.....and after a full pre-season and full fitness, by season's end the 'Chad v RB' argument may again 'be a thing'.

Let's just see how the season unfolds shall we?
    That’s dramatic Stevo. I was asked my opinion on Rowbottom and gave it.

The 2021 Chad v Rowbottom comparison was created by fans of Rowbottom who were looking for a way to defend Rowbottom against the 2021 criticism from TheBloods. Chad is a favourite of TheBloods and he was dragged in by supporters of Rowbottom to create a comparison point that stacked up statistically.

Moving to 2022, Chad and Rowbottom have both had good preseasons. Chad looks like he could have a 10-15 Brownlow vote year and Rowbottom could be a good midfield relief option. Rowbottom is worthy. He could make a career out of feeding handballs to the Warner Brothers, Campbell, Stephens and J-Mac who will break the lines.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Ok Meg, happy to ditch the Mac / Mc abbreviations, especially now that they have all played in the same game together. Last thing I want to do is cause annoyance even before the season has started proper!
    And ditch the Row um bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    I didn’t see a lot of Rowbottom from watching the last quarter and a bit of the 1st quarter. I do recall a great switch of play to J-Mac.

He must have been really good in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

Last season many Rowbottom supporters were comparing stats to suggest that Chad and Rowbottom were similar in ability and output.

Watching Chad in the 1st two preseason games he’s gone to another level and has settled the argument in the Chad v Rowbottom comparison.
    So you admit to having seen less than half of the game yesterday, but you simultaneously can provide a definitive 'god view' over both matches...... Um, not sure both states can exist together. And that's before one might mention 'it's only pre-season'.

More broadly though - the only matter that really counts for much is that both players have the potential ability to become very important players for the clubs, and to have very good AFL careers at an individual level. Both have also had some really good moments in pre-season that suggest they could both have very good seasons ahead.

Beyond a desperation for a constant appendage measuring contest to prove somehow some people's ability to judge players is 'above and beyond' others, I don't see why the comparison really holds much importance at all - while yes they are both midfielders, they are very different types of players, and it would seem highly unlikely in my opinion that they will be in any meaningful direct competition for the same spot in the team.
    Last edited by mcs; 7th March 2022 at 12:38 PM.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

I was really impressed with Rowbottom (Nico - just for you 😉) yesterday. Great attack on the ball, excellent 2nd, 3rd and even 4th efforts, stuck his tackles and he really lifted when the North midfield were starting to gain some ascendency in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. I have absolutely no concerns about his trajectory this year, confident he will play most of the season in the AFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    I was really impressed with Rowbottom (Nico - just for you 😉) yesterday. Great attack on the ball, excellent 2nd, 3rd and even 4th efforts, stuck his tackles and he really lifted when the North midfield were starting to gain some ascendency in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. I have absolutely no concerns about his trajectory this year, confident he will play most of the season in the AFL.
    I thought he was really solid in the 2nd/3rd quarters in particular - a bit quiet later in the contest.

Still has plenty of room to develop in terms of ability to strongly influence the contest when he isn't in the 'in and under', and his kicking efficiency needs improvement. But I think both pre-season games have shown that he is improving with his ability to see what is unfolding and make the right decisions with his ball use (execution needs improvement). For some players, that ability is almost natural, but for most it takes times to develop.

As for many of our younger guys, I have very positive thoughts that he will take another good step forward in 2022.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Hit outs prove to be the most overrated statistic once again.

Hit outs: -28
    Clearances: +13

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    Hit outs prove to be the most overrated statistic once again.

Hit outs: -28
    Clearances: +13
    Only useful if you have a good one , Gawn, natanui , their mids feed off their taps

Most rucks now days arent much chop . Hickey been a great asset but would n't get a game in the 80s based on his tapping , the ruck craft is dying . Effective hitouts are the only numbers that should be counted ,

Is there any info on Cunningham? He only played minimum minutes yesterday; perhaps to allow Campbell to have a decent hit out.

I don't recall whether he played a full game last week. I would have thought he is a lock for R1 on Hill.

Haven't heard any commentary about McAndrew's game on the weekend but I saw an impressive 2nd effort in the highlights reel that led to a goal. Can anyone offer any commentary?

Thanks deja for the tip but I just went and had another look and I still can't find it. Maybe it's only on the app? I am looking via a web browser. When I got to Matches/Match Replays - it just defaults to a blank screen for R1 and there's no option to select pre-season games. When I go to AFL.TV, there's still nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Only useful if you have a good one , Gawn, natanui , their mids feed off their taps

Most rucks now days arent much chop . Hickey been a great asset but would n't get a game in the 80s based on his tapping , the ruck craft is dying . Effective hitouts are the only numbers that should be counted ,
    RnR - would you care to comment on this? I'd be interested in your point of view given your affection for rucks.

I agree with you MM, Cunningham is a lock for R1. Your theory about Campbell is plausible because I reckon Campbell is in contention for the 22nd spot for R1.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Two-thirds of all points usually come from turnovers in AFL.

On average, if u give up the ball nine times fewer per match than their opponents you will be a champion team.

Only one of the WEB of critical stat's but the outlier !

Didn't mind the look of rookie Roberts. Redhead with pace, kicking and tackle skills. Could be the first of this year's draft class to play seniors during the season.