Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425

Thread: Round 1 v Giants

Veterans List
    Was a ripper game - I watched a little bit of every game (little bit tragic I acknowledge) and thought this was comfortably the best of the round.

And a fantastic win against a quality opponent, notably a few players down, but still with an outstanding top 12. Was all very enjoyable.

Parker's performance was immense - worthy of Huddo-style "give him a longer contract!" heroics. And of course he was given the licence to do so by the tremendous work of so many great young mids.

To achieve a great win like this, while giving "flying hours" (Horse's words) to McCartin, P, JPK, McDonald and Sheldrick was a real bonus. Even bigger challenge awaits this Friday (OMG, Danger's first 30 mins were jaw-dropping), can't wait - should be another cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Yep....and Eric's brother Errol looks pretty good too.
    Omg bloody Self correction. Of course Eric is more common than Errol. Lol

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    Omg bloody Self correction. Of course Eric is more common than Errol. Lol

Senior Player

Sheldrick has gone straight on to my list of favourite young Swans - along with Gulden and McInerney. He didn't have an enormous impact but I loved what I saw. Absolute Warnerish (or Parkeresque?) desperation at the contest and Rowbottom-strong defensively. As noted already, he is incredibly good at keeping his feet and being ready to make second and third efforts. Like Errol and Juzzy, a great team player too.

Lots of our young 'uns had good games: Blakey, Rowbottom, Errol all stood out. McInerney, Stephens and Campbell were all good (Campbell's goal was a ripper!).

I was pleasantly surprised that we played McLean ahead of Ladhams. Given that Ladhams is a young guy on a 4 year contract I think we need to make him adapt to our culture and earn his spot by learning the Bloods way.

I was very impressed with Paddy McCartin's field kicking (notwithstanding the clanger that gave away a goal). He offers a lot sending the ball forward. His marking was strong too. I thought I detected some (understandable) caution with his attack on the ball e.g. he was a bit slow to get up after that relatively innocuous collision and there was another time I noticed him being a bit tentative (unlike Tom who was all courage and vigour). I'm not holding this against Paddy and hopefully he will build his confidence as he too gets more 'flying hours'.

Parker really had a great game. His goals were all quality but he made so many other contributions besides and with real determination and desperate competitiveness. Showed the way.

I don't know the answer for JPK, or in relation to who goes out as Lloyd and Warner return. I place my faith in the match committee - they mostly get it right.

Fabulous all round team performance, although defensively shaky at times. Gritty win against quality opposition. Great coaching performance too, making the necessary adjustments to blow past the Giants in the second half while, together with the senior players, instilling the faith that we could do it.

Bring on Geelong! I think we should be happy if we win one of our next two (two out of three against strong opposition will be an excellent start to the year). I can't decide who I would prefer to beat if it had to be a choice - Geelong or Bulldogs? I really want to beat both of them. I think I'm going to say Geelong - not sure if that's just because it's our home game.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Did anyone else think Daniel Lloyd is a bit of a poor man's Jordan Dawson? Same ability to kick long goals from outside 50. Decent mark.

Incidentally, when people talk about how we miss JD, they always talk about his kicking. However, as has been pointed out, we have lots of great kicks in our team: Blakey, Campbell, McInerney, Paddy McCartin, Rampe, Florent, Mills, Stephens, Heeney and Buddy all kick well. What people sometimes forget is that JD is excellent overhead and that is a tougher thing to cover. Blakey is taller but not as good. Errol is great for his size but under 180 cm. Nobody really replaces that marking ability. Still, we have so much else going for us that hopefully it's not going to matter too much and we'll make up for it in other ways.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Did anyone else think Daniel Lloyd is a bit of a poor man's Jordan Dawson? Same ability to kick long goals from outside 50. Decent mark.

Incidentally, when people talk about how we miss JD, they always talk about his kicking. However, as has been pointed out, we have lots of great kicks in our team: Blakey, Campbell, McInerney, Paddy McCartin, Rampe, Florent, Mills, Stephens, Heeney and Buddy all kick well. What people sometimes forget is that JD is excellent overhead and that is a tougher thing to cover. Blakey is taller but not as good. Errol is great for his size but under 180 cm. Nobody really replaces that marking ability. Still, we have so much else going for us that hopefully it's not going to matter too much and we'll make up for it in other ways.
    Lloyd has done pretty well for himself, 70 or so games so far in a good team. Especially considering he was first spotted
    by Mark McVeigh playing in the Hunter Valley league. As you say, he is a thumping kick.

Maybe Jordon Dawson's is a poor man's Daniel Lloyd. Played 2 less games and never played in a grand final.
    Hasn't kicked on at Adelaide.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Maybe Jordon Dawson's is a poor man's Daniel Lloyd. Played 2 less games and never played in a grand final.
    You’re funny, barry!!
    Both terrific players, but it’s a wee bit early to assess JD in Adelaide after 1 game!😊
    But I hope he plays a lot worse against us- yes, his overhead work can be exceptional: Isaac would be a great matchup on him.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post

We are ahead without Dawson. His cost v output compared to the upside and cost v output of Campbell and Stephens is in favour of the Swans.

Senior Player
    Dawson's career is over. He'll be dropped pretty soon and will be struggling to hold a spot in a SANFL reserves team by mid year.
    Give it a year or so and he'll be wandering around Rundle Mall, dishevelled and unwashed telling anyone within earshot, "I coulda
    been someone, I coulda bin a contender".

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Gidday Baz, That's what I would call "going the early Crow". Not a bad move by you, as the worst that can happen is you have "Crow" egg on your face.

Love your posts.

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425