Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rd 3 vs Western Bulldogs @ Marvel - Pre-Game Thread

agree AB
    opportunity cost to other fast moving fast linking options that align to our game plan
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

I like the logic of Buddy playing the next 2 and then missing a Perth trip.

By then Papley will be back, and I look forward to a time when McDonald can start playing the more expansive role without keeping free the space for Buddy. McLean to continue his more static contested mark role

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Nobody has mentioned Ladhams. If Buddy is rested, or McDonald dropped, then he could come in rather than Armetey. Ladhams seemed to have a pretty good VFL game based on the highlights.
    Ladhams was average for the first half of the VFL game v Footscray and compounded this with several acts of I'll discipline, giving away cheap free kicks. Laidler may have had a word to him because he came out and played much better in the second half.
    Amartey looked good, especially the first half where his size and mobility were a handful.
    If Buddy needs a rest or is in Covid isolation and we want to play 3 tall forwards, Amartey looked better IMO.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

I'm not sure I agree about Ladhams competing for McLean's spot. Ladhams would possibly be more like McDonald than McLean in that he is relatively mobile but not a noted contested marker.

I'm not expecting Papley to be back this week. I seem to remember they said 6-8 weeks. And these things can often turn out to be longer.... as we well know.

I get the logic of Buddy not flying to Perth but they won't necessarily want him to have a 16 day gap between games. And he may actually prefer to travel to Perth to be able to see family (or not, given they have little ones at home).
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

I'd play it safe with both Jmac and Paps. Besides are any changes necessary to that side on Friday night?

Bulldogs might be more mobile and quicker than cats, so possibly McLean or McDonald make way for Fox, C.O.R. or Clarke??

An R.G.O. for Buddy is worth considering too.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Relative View Post
    I'd play it safe with both Jmac and Paps. Besides are any changes necessary to that side on Friday night?

Bulldogs might be more mobile and quicker than cats, so possibly McLean or McDonald make way for Fox, C.O.R. or Clarke??

An R.G.O. for Buddy is worth considering too.
    Apart from Papley and McInerney, next cab off the rank has to be Sheldrick. He really justified his selection R1 and I would love to see more of him. Otherwise, if we needed to bring in a tall, then I would consider Amartey or, more likely, Ladhams.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Thanks for the update. Much appreciated! Minimal changes this week then.

No change to the 22 I reckon. Roberts to debut as sub. He was terrific against Footscray on Friday....Sheldrick to have a run in the reserves.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay View View Post
    No change to the 22 I reckon. Roberts to debut as sub. He was terrific against Footscray on Friday....Sheldrick to have a run in the reserves.
    Horrible way to debut sitting on the bench hoping for an injury. Let Roberts play reserves until there is a spot for him to move straight into the senior team.

No need to take any risks with JMac and it seems Paps may need another week. So if there are no other issues, we may as well leave the team unchanged. Wicks had a better game and if he improves his kicking it will help him to keep his spot- otherwise he should make way when Paps returns.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    No need to take any risks with JMac and it seems Paps may need another week. So if there are no other issues, we may as well leave the team unchanged. Wicks had a better game and if he improves his kicking it will help him to keep his spot- otherwise he should make way when Paps returns.
    Not sure that I like Paps for Wicks. Very different roles. Wicks cops a bit, but he is playing as a pressure forward, and does lots that does not pick up a stat (even 1%ers). Paps is an attacking weapon and crumber, waiting for the ball to be brought to ground by the big targets (and of course weaving his magic in other ways). Wicks has to position himself in other parts of the arc to block exits, and then close quickly to force errors and shut down angles, pushing defenders deep into pockets. I know that not everyone agrees with this, and I'm bracing for impact.

Rather than thinking like-for-like, the calculation will be about the balance of the forward six: how many talls, how many small play-makers, how many pressure forwards.

A forward line of Franklin, McLean, Hayward, Gulden, Papley and Wicks? With Parker and Heeney rotating forward? Is Hayward under pressure for his place in the team?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast