Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 6 pre-match thread - vs Hawthorn, Monday 25 April, University of Tasmania Oval

Quote Originally Posted by Goal Sneak View Post
    I agree that Bell needs to improve his kicking, I also think he's too slow with his decision making. He seems to be freezing a bit and getting caught in two minds. This often leads to a poor disposal. Looking at the injury list above, who would you put ahead of Bell right now?
    I believe that Bell is worth persisting with for now, to see if he can develop. There are some tools to work with there but his main downfalls at present are lack of composure under pressure and disposal at times. Can these be improved with experience and good coaching? Let's hope so.

Wicks has started the season poorly so deserves to be out of the side at present. Bell has provided more than Wicks since coming in.

Ronke has been the big surprise packet in the past 2 weeks. Can he keep it up? He seems to be a total confidence player.

I really hope that Stephens can fight his way back in soon. He shows promise at times. He reminds me a lot of Paddy Dow at Carlton. An early draft pick mid who has struggled to live up to expectations and cement a regular senior spot. Again, I think Stephens is a confidence player and is struggling to prove to himself and everyone that he can make it as a mid.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay View View Post
    Bell is surely there for his forward pressure. Did you see some of those tackles inside 50 from Bell? Just brilliant.
    He had one tackle and the player broke it 🤪

Quote Originally Posted by Goal Sneak View Post
    I agree that Bell needs to improve his kicking, I also think he's too slow with his decision making. He seems to be freezing a bit and getting caught in two minds. This often leads to a poor disposal. Looking at the injury list above, who would you put ahead of Bell right now?
    I'm not sure that thinking in terms of 'best 22' is how the MC approach it. We structure up with one dedicated pressure forward, and that has been Wicks, replaced by Bell. Much of what they do does not attract fantasy points or even stats: their main job is to close down space and to restrict the opposition's options out of their defensive 50.

Ronke's re-emergence is really interesting, in that he is a good pressure forward, and offers some attacking flair too. And just masses of energy. When Paps comes back in, perhaps we could do with him and Ronke, plus three talls (Reid. McLean, McDonald) and one medium (Hayward) with Heeney and Parker rotating through as marking targets.

But to return to my theme: I am less inclined to think in terms of best 22 than in the depth chart analysis (as championed by Matt80—was that his name?) structured around roles.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    I'm not sure that thinking in terms of 'best 22' is how the MC approach it. We structure up with one dedicated pressure forward, and that has been Wicks, replaced by Bell. Much of what they do does not attract fantasy points or even stats: their main job is to close down space and to restrict the opposition's options out of their defensive 50.

Ronke's re-emergence is really interesting, in that he is a good pressure forward, and offers some attacking flair too. And just masses of energy. When Paps comes back in, perhaps we could do with him and Ronke, plus three talls (Reid. McLean, McDonald) and one medium (Hayward) with Heeney and Parker rotating through as marking targets.

But to return to my theme: I am less inclined to think in terms of best 22 than in the depth chart analysis (as championed by Matt80—was that his name?) structured around roles.
    Can Stephens do the Bell job? He has good endurance and would probably find himself in a bit more space if he is not in the congested midfield. He may get a point of reference and work himself into a bit of rhythm and form. He does kick well when not under pressure.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    He had one tackle and the player broke it 🤪
    You know that just isn't true. I believe the one tackle you're talking about wasn't counted. The one tackle that was counted definitely stuck.

Seriously though, please don't go down the dangerous 'double down' trajectory on this player like someone else has with another player.

That's when things get out of hand....and 'alternative truths' abound.....but I agree, one (good) tackle in a game isn't enough.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 19th April 2022 at 04:16 PM.

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I believe that Bell is worth persisting with for now, to see if he can develop. There are some tools to work with there but his main downfalls at present are lack of composure under pressure and disposal at times. Can these be improved with experience and good coaching? Let's hope so.
    I'm thinking it's more about settling down his nerves and backing himself to make the right decisions. Not always an easy task but generally comes with more game time.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post

Hard to disagree with anything you've suggested here. This being the case, I don't think there is anyone better available to fill the role of pressure forward at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Seriously though, please don't go down the dangerous 'double down' trajectory on this player like someone else has with another player.
    I think there are enough varying opinions regarding James Bell that it won't escalate into the same one-sided, cyclical discussion as James Rowbottom. What is it with our players named James though?

Super interested to see how Ladhams goes. Expectations weren’t high based on VFL form but he was very good against WC.

Could we develop into a team (when Hickey is back) with 2 rucks that are a headache for the opposition? Kinda like Melbourne? Or is that madness and we would be too tall and immobile.

Senior Player
    Interesting that Lance is potentially available for selection this week but Tom P is another week away. I wonder if they would give him a run against his old team although Longmire suggested he was pretty happy with the performance of the Mac attacks according to the AFL app.

"A couple of the young key forwards came in and did a good job for us, and that's important, with Franklin and Papley and (Sam) Wicks (out), that's half of our starting six of our forward group."

That makes me think maybe not. It was also interesting he mention Sam W as well which makes me think he is rated a bit higher by the coaching staff than some on here.
    James B had the highest number of pressure acts by a Swan player on Friday and I suggest that wouldn’t go unnoticed especially when combined with a goal as well.
    Often one of the factors that can be overlooked , and stats usually won’t reflect this, is how well did a player undertake the role asked of him by the coaching staff ?
    I feel this is probably why some of the players that supporters bemoan as not producing numbers that they consider acceptable keep getting picked.
    Sometimes I think the coaching staff know more than we do 😀

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    It’s a supporters forum Joey, it’s my opinion and I’m allowed to have it

I don’t have anything against the guy personally, but I don’t believe he’s up to AFL standard and continually gets a game ahead of players who would impact the team more positively

His role is a small forward, but he gets very little of the ball, doesn’t kick goals, lays very few tackles, is clumsy to say the least, and the opposition stroll the ball out of our forward line with him there.

There are no nuances or subtleties I’m missing, it’s simply another case of the coaching staff favouring or under utilising certain players, it happens all of the time, even at afl level.

James is a professional sportsman and he is paid well enough to put up with reasonable criticism of his on field performance. I’ve never personally attacked him or posted anything which I think crossed the line or is unreasonable.

There’s a whole thread dedicated to Rowbottom, perhaps I’ll start one up about Bell so you don’t get offended in the future

Ironically you have a dip at Wicks in your post, maybe you could say that in the huddle 🙄
    The one difference is that you always post your Bell opinion and you don't have any balance in what you see in his game ...I've never negatively posted about anyone..I'm not offended personally , I just think youre belittling a player I personally have a lot of time for and nd feel he fills out a particular role very well. And he does nail tackles and puts perceived pressure on.. Nathan Buckley actually complimented during the game .
    You've basically made the Bell comment everytime he's been picked and played a game..is it just a copy and paste ...I like Wicks but I think Bell's better value at the moment and allow me to rephrase it'd be better if he wasnt giving away free kicks by tackling players late..maybe using brain snaps wasn't the correct phrase but I was in no way undermining his value and talent .

Unlike you with Bell

And Ronke is first in line before the two of them in my opinion

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Sometimes I think the coaching staff know more than we do 😀
    Heresy!

I find the omissions of content on the injury exasperating. Now Fox and COR are finally listed but with TBC on the return date. After 3 weeks one would think there would be something more definitive on a hamstring and an eye injury. We also know that both Amartey and Roberts were taken out of the VFL game due to concussion, so they should be on the injury list, except they're not. There has also been a lack of news on why Shledrick and McAndrew didn't play on Sunday.

I think Bell looks a bit better this year, but agree with the comments about his indecision. It would be a big improvement to his game if he could see the play developing around him more quickly. His instincts near goal are pretty good. Maybe if he could play more instinctual footy he could make a big leap in his progress. I suppose it would be more beneficial to him to stay at AFL level, but I imagine he will be replaced wither this week or next, when Papley becomes available.

I noticed had trouble sticking their tackles on a mature Geelong side. Maybe it was the rain. But it made me think that JPK might be a good inclusion against a team like Hawthorn, but I also like the mix of our current midfield, so am undecided about selection if it comes down to Bell or Kennedy.

An update on injuries has just come through for us Swans members. Sheldrick not looking good - seeing the surgeon about his knee later this week. Roberts and Armetey on concussion protocols for 12 days.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast