Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 7 prematch thread - vs Brisbane at the SCG, Sunday 4.40 PM

Outs - Logan, Paddy, Bell, Rowbottom

Ins - Reid, Gould, Papley, Kennedy

Rowbottom - Medical Sub

Goulds time has come. Melican has had plenty of chances and Gould has done his time.

Palpley for Bell is obvious. If not Papley then Wicks.

Rowbottom distribution was poor against the Hawks. I’m not sure how much extra that Rowbottom would give that Kennedy couldn’t give. Kennedy was great in the last quarter against the Hawks, used the ball well and has played his way into the team.

I haven’t had the pleasure to watch much of the reserves so far this year so am happy to rely on others and so it seems that Gould has earned his chance. Previously people have called for his debut based purely on his draft highlights but it seems that he has actually put together some excellent form in our VFL team to warrant selection. The biggest worry for me is the form of Harry C against Charlie Cameron.

I would like to see Reid come in and play down back replacing Paddy. Please not Melican.

Amartey for McDonald.

Papley for Bell.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I would like to see Reid come in and play down back replacing Paddy. Please not Melican.

Amartey for McDonald.

Papley for Bell.
    Yes, but would like to fit Gould in. Not sure how!

How far off is Hickey?

Papley / Wicks replaces Bell
    Amartey for Logan
    Reid / Gould for McCartin

Senior Player
    Ok, Lyon and Riewoldt confirmed Paddy failed the concussion test. Garry Lyon suggested Paddy was a bit anxious about passing it and got a few answers wrong. That would have been super frustrating for him and explains his reaction.

We're certainly going to be a bit thin down back next week.

Suspended by the MRP
    In Papley Kennedy
    Out McDonald Mccartin , shame

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Ok, Lyon and Riewoldt confirmed Paddy failed the concussion test. Garry Lyon suggested Paddy was a bit anxious about passing it and got a few answers wrong. That would have been super frustrating for him and explains his reaction.

We're certainly going to be a bit thin down back next week.
    I wonder if Paddy should return to wearing a helmet ? He has so much riding on his health that maybe having some protection will help with confidence as well as protect his head

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Gould ahead of Melican is a big call but I'd love to give him a chance and debuting him in our home game gives him a great opportunity. Rampe will have to step up in Paddy's absence.
    Step up is definitely the right word. As Deja notes the Lions play very tall up forward. At the moment they play with 2 ruckmen (Hipwood out) plus Daniher all 3 over 6 foot 6 and then McStay at 6 4 - a lot of height.
    It will be interesting to see if the great Dane can still cope giving up so much height - or whether the decline many are commenting upon will make it too big a stretch for him.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by josho View Post
    If Wicks or Papley is ready, I'd bring either in for McDonald. If both are ready, then Bell's time is up. But I like the forward group a lot better when we're a bit smaller. Buddy + McLean is plenty of size, in my opinion. Gives a bit more space for Heeney to operate, and I think Hayward would play better with that look too.
    I agree that we looked a little top heavy up forward on the weekend so bringing in a small to medium sized player for McDonald may be better. If he trains well then Papps may be a chance but given he has not played for 2 months he may need a game in the reserves. I think Gould is worth a shot as we know what we will get with the Pelican (nothing special). I would give Florent another game given his undoubted talent but put him on notice to perform. Bell probably deserves to be dropped.

Out: Bell, McDonald, McCartin
    In: Stephens, Wicks (Sub), Gould

This means Joey starts based on his performance yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Step up is definitely the right word. As Deja notes the Lions play very tall up forward. At the moment they play with 2 ruckmen (Hipwood out) plus Daniher all 3 over 6 foot 6 and then McStay at 6 4 - a lot of height.
    It will be interesting to see if the great Dane can still cope giving up so much height - or whether the decline many are commenting upon will make it too big a stretch for him.
    I think Sammy has to come in to help out. Gould can debut against a smaller forward line- this week may not be appropriate.

In: Sammy, Paps, Kennedy

Out: Paddy, Logan, Bell
    Sub: Stephens

Note: The thread heading is wrong, in that the game start time is 4:40

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast