Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 9 pre-game thread, vs Bombers at SCG, 7:25 PM

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Was i wrong ? Can you give me an example of where Bell has been given a chance in the mids ?
    Using your logic, if someone called for playing Lewis Melican in the mids, it can be supported by the fact that he's never been given a chance in the mids. Right? Can anyone give me an example where Melican has been given a chance in the mids? I don't think so. Let's give him a go then.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    All the forwards had a quiet week. In fact, the Swans' offense had a quiet week. It was more than quiet; it was tranquilizing. I don't know why Ronke has been singled out for criticism. At least Nico put the torch to Hayward, even though I disagree. Except for that nice goal he kicked, Papley hasn't done much since he returned. But we are all happy to give him time to pick up the pace of the game.

There is so much wrong with the way we are playing it's hard to know where to start. We are not winning enough ball in the midfield and we're turning it over far too much. We just can't win games like that, and our forward line isn't going to be looking too good with the unimaginative ball movement forward.

I think the blame should fall on the coaching staff rather than the players. Perhaps with 2 consecutive short weeks it's hard to make adjustments. So that falls on the unfavourable fixture we got from the AFL. Longmire intimated that we needed to look at our preparation coming off short weeks, which is something I wanted before we even went into the short weeks. We also need to batten down the game plan to better adjust to opposition defenses, so we don't get dominated and drop out of the game before halftime.

There was this perplexing line from the injury report. Maybe it's time for Harry to see the doc:

The club is still yet to diagnose the hip/abdomen problem suffered by Cunningham against Brisbane in round seven.

There was no mention of Sheather, who went out after halftime with a back complaint. I hope he's okay, because he's been playing well since moving into defence.

I wouldn't mind seeing COR and Clarke into the side this week. Both look to be in good form. I'm sure some regulars could use a week off. As Wolftone suggested, Buddy had a bad one and could also use a week off. We have another 6 day break after this game, so we might look to rest players that look tired, rather than have them play another lethargic game.
    Agree with all that Ludwig.

I can report that after watching Sheather closely in the VFL replay that he was walking OK and it simply appeared to be a classic lower back spasm caused by some fierce tackling. It was treated with an icepack and didn't seem to be a big deal.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Suspended by the MRP
    Using your logic, if someone called for playing Lewis Melican in the mids, it can be supported by the fact that he's never been given a chance in the mids. Right? Can anyone give me an example where Melican has been given a chance in the mids? I don't think so. Let's give him a go then.
    What are you on about . Melican plays FB in reserves then plays FB in seniors . Thats called giving him a chance . Bell plays mids in reserves , excels , then plays fwd pocket in seniors . Its not rewarding him for earning his spot and its setting him up to fail in a way . Others get their preferred spot every week despite being lousy and get a million chances . Bell would like just 1 !

Hickey for Mclean
    Would like to see Stephens in somewhere

AFL website predicting Bell for Ronke.... spare me

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Hickey for Mclean
    Would like to see Stephens in somewhere

AFL website predicting Bell for Ronke.... spare me
    If I see that, we deserve to be out of the top 8

Pushing for Selection
    Is getting 30 odd every week in the 2s not enough for you ? How else is he supposed to earn it !
    Unfortunately he is not doing that. Completely false statement.

What are you on about . Melican plays FB in reserves then plays FB in seniors . Thats called giving him a chance . Bell plays mids in reserves , excels , then plays fwd pocket in seniors . Its not rewarding him for earning his spot and its setting him up to fail in a way . Others get their preferred spot every week despite being lousy and get a million chances . Bell would like just 1 !
    Just who are the “others” you are referring to, TB? Please don’t mention he who can’t be named as we’ve been down that track a million times before. If Bell puts together a handful of games in the ressies breaking the door down, I’d be happy to give him a go in the mids. But until then, others are clearly better.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Just who are the “others” you are referring to, TB? Please don’t mention he who can’t be named as we’ve been down that track a million times before. If Bell puts together a handful of games in the ressies breaking the door down, I’d be happy to give him a go in the mids. But until then, others are clearly better.
    What do you think hes done the whole time hes been on the list ? Was in the neafl team of the year a couple of times playing midfield then thrown in the fwd pocket at senior level ! Its not on . As soon as everyones favourites like Campbell , JPK aren 't played in their position , everyones sticking up for them but when its someone nobody has time for like Bell there is no acknowledgment or respect from anyone that hes not getting to play in the position he impressed in in the 2s !

What do you think hes done the whole time hes been on the list ? Was in the neafl team of the year a couple of times playing midfield then thrown in the fwd pocket at senior level ! Its not on . As soon as everyones favourites like Campbell , JPK aren 't played in their position , everyones sticking up for them but when its someone nobody has time for like Bell there is no acknowledgment or respect from anyone that hes not getting to play in the position he impressed in in the 2s !
    The problems that Bell has had in the AFL have nothing to do with being played out of position. It's mostly his decision making and disposal through the middle of the ground where he's fallen short. So he's not building a good resume for playing more time in the middle.

Players are getting their positional assignments from the coaching staff, not us on RWO. It's fine to disagree with the coaching staff, but have to admit that in the opinion of the coaches, the mix of midfield players is about right. Quite often the coaches come around to seeing things the way some of us on RWO see it, like moving Mills to the midfield. Maybe they will come around to seeing things your way in due course. Time will tell.

Suspended by the MRP
    The problems that Bell has had in the AFL have nothing to do with being played out of position. It's mostly his decision making and disposal through the middle of the ground where he's fallen short. So he's not building a good resume for playing more time in the middle.

Players are getting their positional assignments from the coaching staff, not us on RWO. It's fine to disagree with the coaching staff, but have to admit that in the opinion of the coaches, the mix of midfield players is about right. Quite often the coaches come around to seeing things the way some of us on RWO see it, like moving Mills to the midfield. Maybe they will come around to seeing things your way in due course. Time will tell.
    Hows he supposed to improve his disposal if hes hardly getting any tucked away in the fwd pocket ? He deserves a chance . Even my favourites like Chad , what did he do to get a spot in there pre season of his 2nd year while Horse wont give Bell a look in at all . You can spin it how you like but its wrong , plain and simple . What message does it send to the vfl side ? Work hard and dominate and you wont get anywhere unless your one of Horses favourites !

Veterans List
    I have been reading all this with a perplexed interest but am ultimately left more perplexed. On one hand we have Rowbottom, who, by keeping his spot in the midfield, is obviously doing what the coaches want him to.....and we have Bell, who most here agree has had his chance to prove himself and indeed hasn't.....resulting in the main detractor of RB suddenly touting Bell as a potential saviour for our midfield malaise. Spare me....it makes no sense.

Seriously, if you want to see real 'deer in the headlights' stuff......put Bell in the middle. Like a lamb to the slaughter IMO.

I have always liked Bell and want him to succeed but have seen nothing to make me think he's worth a go in the middle.....or indeed has a future at the highest level. He has been given plenty of chances! Just not in the middle.....where traditionally the best players go or at least the ones with at least a modicum of talent. Can you explain to me and everyone here what you see in Bell that makes you think he would succeed as a mid, besides his occasionally effective tackling?

The really perplexing bit is that you seem to be saying that you think Bell is potentially a better footballer than RB. Is that what your saying?

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I have been reading all this with a perplexed interest but am ultimately left more perplexed. On one hand we have Rowbottom, who, by keeping his spot in the midfield, is obviously doing what the coaches want him to.....and we have Bell, who most here agree has had his chance to prove himself and indeed hasn't.....resulting in the main detractor of RB suddenly touting Bell as a potential saviour for our midfield malaise. Spare me....it makes no sense.

Seriously, if you want to see real 'deer in the headlights' stuff......put Bell in the middle. Like a lamb to the slaughter IMO.

I have always liked Bell and want him to succeed but have seen nothing to make me think he's worth a go in the middle.....or indeed has a future at the highest level. He has been given plenty of chances! Just not in the middle.....where traditionally the best players go or at least the ones with at least a modicum of talent. Can you explain to me and everyone here what you see in Bell that makes you think he would succeed as a mid, besides his occasionally effective tackling?

The really perplexing bit is that you seem to be saying that you think Bell is potentially a better footballer than RB. Is that what your saying?
    Thats exactly what im saying . How can you say hes not potentially better when he hasnt been given anywhere near the amount of chances RB has had ? Fact is when Bell is in the mids in the 2s he is a star . Maybe hes only made for that level , im not saying he is or isnt . Im saying he deserves the chance and we owe it to him and to ourselves to find out . If he has a few games and shows no ability then fine , at least we will know . But he deserves the chance

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast