Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Rnd 12 Pre-Match Thread, vs Melbourne at MCG, 7:25 PM Saturday 4 June

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    .....and I'll say it again, Buddy had no idea he had been awarded a free. Do you actually think he knew? Do you think he would have done what he did, had he realised? He's not THAT dumb, so stop calling him 'dumb'. Had he known it was our/his free kick....and then did what he did, I would agree he was/is dumb. He's not.
    I didn't call Buddy dumb, I said his actions were dumb. BIG difference.

Buddy, as a senior player, knows better. If you know better and act in a way that contradicts that knowledge, then you are acting in a dumb manner.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Play Roberts in the mids this week
    Why can you provide some basis for this proclamation ? you said that last week and he got 2 possessions do you genuinely think he will acquit himself better against the best team in the competition ?
    And if so in what way will he be a better option than others ?
    Do you think he is now considered one of of our best 22 players ?
    I think you would get more traction and less friction with others on this platform by providing opinions rather than edicts.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Why can you provide some basis for this proclamation ? you said that last week and he got 2 possessions do you genuinely think he will acquit himself better against the best team in the competition ?
    And if so in what way will he be a better option than others ?
    Do you think he is now considered one of of our best 22 players ?
    I think you would get more traction and less friction with others on this platform by providing opinions rather than edicts.
    Why would my comment cause friction ? He was the best mid according to the coaches . So he earns a debut , but then we dont play him in the mids. Its the same with Bell all over again . You cant reward someone for their form and then be surprised when they dont match it in a different position . Why would it be surprising if i did think he was in our best 22 players ? He was selected in our best 22 players this week by the coaches wasn 't he ? I like him . I reckon he can be better than what we 've got so deserves a chance to show that . If hes poor in his natural spot then fine , drop him

Why would my comment cause friction ? He was the best mid according to the coaches . So he earns a debut , but then we dont play him in the mids. Its the same with Bell all over again . You cant reward someone for their form and then be surprised when they dont match it in a different position . Why would it be surprising if i did think he was in our best 22 players ? He was selected in our best 22 players this week by the coaches wasn 't he ? I like him . I reckon he can be better than what we 've got so deserves a chance to show that . If hes poor in his natural spot then fine , drop him
    When you post a one liner which is contrasting to most others view that Roberts isn't ready, then you may cause some to believe you are baiting. When you elaborate and explain your contrasting view as you have here, it provides a basis for the point you're making to be considered by everyone else.
    It would've been good to see Roberts in the middle at least for a small stint but it didn't eventuate. I agree he deserves a shot in there but probably not against the Demons. I'm a big fan also, I don't think it will be too long before he demands his spot.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Taylor and Clarke running around getting 30-40 cheap uncontested possessions each week in the VFL is probably the most futile thing I’ve ever seen.

Clearly they’re not in our plans, but it’s still odd we wouldn’t give them a role or instructions to play another way - even if we have 20 injuries we’re not going to ask them to play that way in the seniors.
    I think that's a fair comment on the way Taylor plays. Less so for Clarke, who wins a lot of genuine contested ball in the VFL and plays the game unselfishly.
    There's a lot to like about Clarke's game. Unfortunately, handballing and kicking aren't included.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    .....and I'll say it again, Buddy had no idea he had been awarded a free. Do you actually think he knew? Do you think he would have done what he did, had he realised? He's not THAT dumb, so stop calling him 'dumb'. Had he known it was our/his free kick....and then did what he did, I would agree he was/is dumb. He's not.
    I don't see that him having received a free or not (or knowing whether he had received a free or not) makes any difference. The cost of pushing Cotchin in the face wasn't just a reversed free kick. It was a week's holiday. So yes, it was a dumb act.

Fortunately for him, so much of what he does is sublime that we all learn to accept the occasional dumb act. Others in the team should aspire to achieve his sublimity first, before copying the dumb-act-ness.

Senior Player
    Thank you that’s a comment / opinion with some content to consider and evaluate. It makes it much easier to discuss than your proclamations.
    Now in regard to your point regarding selecting players in their preferred positions I agree with you and you may remember I backed you regarding Bell on this subject. Unfortunately however that is not always possible and sometimes players need to adapt to what the coaches require to continue to be selected.
    Callum is an excellent example of just how to handle that expectation and evolve and grow as a player. He is now probably one of our most important players and Friday showed the benefit of his previous exposure to playing in the backline.
    I have no doubt Robert’s will be back but I just don’t see a role for him this weekend..

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    We're challenging the dumb-act-ness, given he's so sublime

Buddy's Tribunal bid: Swans challenge Lance Franklin's striking ban
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    We're challenging the dumb-act-ness, given he's so sublime

Buddy's Tribunal bid: Swans challenge Lance Franklin's striking ban
    Given we couldn't get Rowbottom out of his charge, it seems unlikely he'll escape any suspension (Although I don't underestimate the pull of seeing Buddy play at the MCG in what should be a huge game).

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Thank you that’s a comment / opinion with some content to consider and evaluate. It makes it much easier to discuss than your proclamations.
    Now in regard to your point regarding selecting players in their preferred positions I agree with you and you may remember I backed you regarding Bell on this subject. Unfortunately however that is not always possible and sometimes players need to adapt to what the coaches require to continue to be selected.
    Callum is an excellent example of just how to handle that expectation and evolve and grow as a player. He is now probably one of our most important players and Friday showed the benefit of his previous exposure to playing in the backline.
    I have no doubt Robert’s will be back but I just don’t see a role for him this weekend..
    Then dont select him . Simple. We cant have it both ways and not everyone can be like Mills . You cant like someones form in one position then expect them to pick up a new position on debut !

What was stopping us from putting him in the mids can i ask ?

Quote Originally Posted by bandwagon View Post
    Cotchin didn't do anything outside the rules, so I don't think it will be relevant to the MRO. Take the week and give Buddy a rest.

Also - my input for the MC: Blakey, Hickey & Ronke for Roberts, Franklin & Wicks
    agree with both of these points

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think that's a fair comment on the way Taylor plays. Less so for Clarke, who wins a lot of genuine contested ball in the VFL and plays the game unselfishly.
    There's a lot to like about Clarke's game. Unfortunately, handballing and kicking aren't included.
    sadly yes

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast