Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Rnd 17 - vs Bulldogs at SCG, 7:50 PM, Friday 8 July 2022

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    Looks like English is back for Friday's game.

I don't think we'll swing too many changes but back in who we have to respond. My tips would be Ladhams and Cunningham in. McDonald and Campbell out.

If Ladhams is still out of favour, then Amartey. I wouldn't mind seeing Gould at some stage ...
    I think we'd all like to see Gould at some stage soon....before he cracks the @@@@'s and heads back to SA.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I think we'd all like to see Gould at some stage soon....before he cracks the @@@@'s and heads back to SA.
    Gould must be pretty substandard not being able to break into this side

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by H2F View Post
    He is pidgeon holed as a defender. Try him up forward?

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    He is pidgeon holed as a defender. Try him up forward?
    Some take some time. Dawson took a while in the ressies didn't he? Not as long as Gould, but still. The most frustrated has to be Will himself.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Walk up start at the Adelaide Cows.

They will be talking to Will and/or his manager on a regular basis, they confirmed it's what they did with Dawson, and I think what they do with most SA players interstate, just see how they are going and letting them know the door is open.

Will doesn't have a contract for 2023, Stephens does.

It bewilders me when fans think that selection should be based on appeasing young players in the 2s so that they don't leave the club. For someone to be appeased and given a go in the 1s, someone else has to be dropped to the 2s. It's a nil sum game. Just pick players who deserve it and who give us the best chance of winning. The only time I would go away from this selection policy is when we are no longer in the hunt for a top 8 position and it may be beneficial to give some young players a development opportunity while senior players manage niggles or go for surgery. We aren't there yet so pick the best team and beat the Bulldogs.

FWIW, I have been a bit of a critic of Wicks before. However, I do see some correlation between our best performances when he is in the team and playing well. Therefore, I'll put my hand up and admit that I've underrated the role of the pressure forward. Campbell needs time to develop as a future midfielder so I would drop him and play Wicks for the rest of the season.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Walk up start at the Adelaide Cows.

They will be talking to Will and/or his manager on a regular basis, they confirmed it's what they did with Dawson, and I think what they do with most SA players interstate, just see how they are going and letting them know the door is open.

Will doesn't have a contract for 2023, Stephens does.
    I’ve never seen so much written about a reserves player who has never, in three years played an outstanding game that screams you’ll have to pick me. If Adelaide think he’s so good they would have offered him a contract at the end of last year before we gave him a crumb off the table.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by H2F View Post
    He is

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    It bewilders me when fans think that selection should be based on appeasing young players in the 2s so that they don't leave the club. For someone to be appeased and given a go in the 1s, someone else has to be dropped to the 2s. It's a nil sum game. Just pick players who deserve it and who give us the best chance of winning. The only time I would go away from this selection policy is when we are no longer in the hunt for a top 8 position and it may be beneficial to give some young players a development opportunity while senior players manage niggles or go for surgery. We aren't there yet so pick the best team and beat the Bulldogs.

FWIW, I have been a bit of a critic of Wicks before. However, I do see some correlation between our best performances when he is in the team and playing well. Therefore, I'll put my hand up and admit that I've underrated the role of the pressure forward. Campbell needs time to develop as a future midfielder so I would drop him and play Wicks for the rest of the season.
    Agree with all of the above

Last 2 weeks we laid more F50 tackles than anytime in the last 6 weeks. Wicks isnt the answer.

Accuracy cost us, plain and simple.
    We kick straight and no one is talking about our Fwd Line.

An issue I do see is pressure at stoppages around the ground (not centre bounce) its like we gamble for a clearance win with no defensive structure. Essendon jogged and moved the ball out of clearances with numbers and ease

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Last 2 weeks we laid more F50 tackles than anytime in the last 6 weeks. Wicks isnt the answer.

Accuracy cost us, plain and simple.
    We kick straight and no one is talking about our Fwd Line.

An issue I do see is pressure at stoppages around the ground (not centre bounce) its like we gamble for a clearance win with no defensive structure. Essendon jogged and moved the ball out of clearances with numbers and ease
    We still let Essendon back into the game with 5 straight goals before we kicked ourselves out of it in the 3rd.

On the veteran's list
    Comparing the last time we played the dogs, the difference between that team and the one that played last Saturday is

In: McLean, Cunningham, Ronke, Wicks, Amartey, Kennedy.

Didn’t play: McInerney, Papley, McDonald, Fox, Reid.

Surely the latter is a superior team.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast