Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Buddy 2023 & beyond?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Tom Harley has commented on the recent report that Lance Franklin could leave the Swans amid frustrations around contract negotiations.
    The above report from SEN clears the Club's position. There may be one very inexperienced member of Buddy's Team to have leaked such information.
    So we can put this Robbo story to bed now that Tom Harley has spoken. Never been much in it I'd suggest. Typical of a lot of the scuttlebutt sprouted by journo's that has it's origins in player managers pumping up their players worth by suggesting other clubs are circling.

Does anyone really think that Buddy would uproot himself for a season for just $100-150k (minus tax) given the nett worth of the Franklins? He would be seen as an ungrateful mercenary and wow, wouldn't the pressure be on him to deliver at a new club and having to deal with new fitness staff - all as a 36yo! How about getting your farewell to one of the great careers at end of next year as a Pie or Dog where you only played half a dozen injury riddled games. Not the way he'd want to go out.

GWS has known salary cap problems so there's no way they can fit in Dusty unless they lose two existing well paid players. If you were GWS, would you take an ageing and risky Dusty at the expense of Taranto and say Hopper? No gain in that move. Again, journo's dreaming stuff up to fill airtime and column inches
    Last edited by 707; 14th July 2022 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    So we can put this Robbo story to bed now that Tom Harley has spoken. Never been much in it I'd suggest. Typical of a lot of the scuttlebutt sprouted by journo's that has it's origins in player managers pumping up their players worth by suggesting other clubs are circling.

Does anyone really think that Buddy would uproot himself for a season for just $100-150k (minus tax) given the nett worth of the Franklins? He would be seen as an ungrateful mercenary and wow, wouldn't the pressure be on him to deliver at a new club and having to deal with new fitness staff - all as a 36yo! How about getting your farewell to one of the great careers at end of next year as a Pie or Dog where you only played half a dozen injury riddled games. Not the way he'd want to go out.

GWS has known salary cap problems so there's no way they can fit in Dusty unless they lose two existing well paid players. If you were GWS, would you take an ageing and risky Dusty at the expense of Taranto and say Hopper? No gain in that move. Again, journo's dreaming stuff up to fill airtime and column inches
    There was a guy named Brererton who ended up like that

Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    There was a guy named Brererton who ended up like that
    But I don’t think we paid him $700,000+ for the privilege. Or the early 90’s equivalent.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Harley didn’t say it was rubbish. The story has truth to it. But I reckon it’s highly likely a deal will get done

Senior Player
    Yep, as Harley says there will be very few people involved in the contract discussions. The bigger the numbers, the less people
    there are in room.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    I have no idea how close to facts the figures being thrown around may be, nor our current salary cap position overall, but on a one year deal the numbers mentioned don't really sound that far apart. I'll trust Pridham when he says this will get done.
    Nicely summarises my position as well. I'd find it remarkable that the Swans would even have hinted publicly that he might stay on in 2023 if they hadn't first tested the waters on the type of dollars he might be looking for.

Senior Player
    Interview with Jacinta where she hints at options.

Jesinta Franklin drops big hint on Buddy’s future: ‘We’ve got options’

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    I wouldn't characterise it like that. It was a flippant comment in response to a light joke from the host at the end of the interview. It did not at all seem like some intentional 'hint dropping'.

Time to move on Buddy. Would rather the $500k be spent elsewhere next year.

Most likely Jacinta was the source of the leaks

I'm happy to pay him $500K but not $700-800K. The future is the priority. I'll be surprised and disappointed if they don't sort it out.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by tlock View Post
    Most likely Jacinta was the source of the leaks
    Based on? Adam Finch is currently his manager.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast