Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Sydney vs Collingwood Match Thread

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Kafka's Ghost View Post
    Changing the subject entirely, this is a nice article regarding Ryan Clarke.

Sydney Swans midfielder Ryan Clarke enjoying career resurgence after spending most of past two years in the twos

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
    There are a few other articles about him and others on the site here
    Swans chat Sydney Swans in the media - let us know if you see anything interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    I agree the free kick was there every day of the week and deserved to be paid.
    Booing an injured player is not a good look.
    Some people like to say well what about Adam he was booed by supporters everywhere but forget that the justification offered up by many was that he staged for free kicks and so that was why he was targeted which does sound familiar ?
    Now I don’t think for one minute that was the only reason Adam was victimised by a large number of opposition supporters but it was without a doubt a commonly held perception at the time.
    I still believe that initially his being booed by many supporters was the staging perception.
    Unfortunately this morphed into a distinct racial angle after his calling out racial abuse during the Collingwood game during indigenous round in 2013.
    There was without doubt a racial angle at play prior to this and I remember being at games where the expression cheating black …. was thrown around freely.
    From then on it had nasty undertones and was without doubt a shameful period in the history of the game.
    Getting back to my initial point I am the first one to boo a poor umpire decision or a player who has committed a flagrant foul action against one of the players on the team that I support, however booing or jeering any player based simply on perception is pretty poor and I think we need to be aware of the potential impact it has on young mens mental well-being.
    There may have been a perception, but there was little or no reality behind that perception. It was more a, "I'm not racist, but" excuse, to pretend that race and politics weren't behind it. I actually remember at the time, wondering why people were going on about Goodesy staging, as I was unaware of any staging that he was doing. So I did YouTube and Google searches, to see if I could find any evidence. Of course, they drew a blank. And in the course of the extended and interminable online debates at the time, when the staging was mentioned by people attempting to justify their campaign, I often asked them to provide evidence or point to any specific incident. Unsurprisingly, they were never able to do that.
    So, yes, there was a perception, but that perception appeared to be almost entirely the result of widespread weasel words.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    I am not suggesting that there a direct correlation rather I am annoyed that sections of the crowd feel the need to persecute a stranger for no good reason.
    It's not persecution. It's justified negative feedback, that will hopefully modify his poor behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    It's not persecution. It's justified negative feedback, that will hopefully modify his poor behaviour.
    What poor behaviour did he exhibit in our match?

Quote Originally Posted by monopoly19 View Post
    What poor behaviour did he exhibit in our match?
    That would be the staging for the free that was given against Paddy. Some are saying that it was justified, but I view it as more of a classic Selwood slump. That is, after rising with the ball, he immediately lowered his body when Paddy went for the tackle, pushed the arms up, to move contact from around forearm to head, then accentuated the seemingly minimal contact. If I remember rightly, Paddy's arm was about his own hip level, and by the look on his face, he seemed to think that he had been conned.

Of course, it may have been an entirely legitimate free, but since the AFL has given a directive to the umpires, to be aware of that method of milking frees, largely because Ginnivan ( and others) was exploiting it so often earlier in the season, I and many others, are not inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Senior Player
    I love the fact that at almost 60 years of age I can still learn.
    My latest learning is that I have been using the word perception wrong for so many years
    The definition of perception is the ability to see, hear, or become aware of something through the senses.
    That sounds like me to be evidence based rather than what my original belief in that it was influenced by the common consensus.
    In fact what I probably should have referenced was an actual antonym of the word namely misconception.
    So for the purposes of my previous posts please substitute misconception for perception.
    My opinions however remain unchanged.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Nope, he is a teenager that the media has made the poster boy for ducking/dropping for free kicks. There a many footballers across the league that do the same thing. Jack doesn't deserve to be booed when sitting on the bench injured.
    Yes. He’s a kid. It’s not acceptable.

One thing I’ve noticed, McRae has backed him and basically said it’s a good thing if he gets a free kick. It makes me wonder if their coaching panel have encouraged it somewhat (disclaimer: just surmising here) - which I’d like to think isn’t the case.

I have also noticed one of our young guns has removed this behaviour from his repertoire lately. Could just be me… but I haven’t seen it so much.

Once again, comparing Goodes is entirely false equivalence. Adam was the victim of a racist agenda, largely pushed by high profile, right wing media types. Ginnivan is a victim of his own flagrant staging.
    You’re correct. The underlying reasons for the booing are vastly different. But i don’t think that is the comparison being made here.

It’s more a generic observation on singling out players as villains & the potential for psychological impact.

I don’t like it & won’t do it - regardless of the reason.

That would be the staging for the free that was given against Paddy. Some are saying that it was justified, but I view it as more of a classic Selwood slump. That is, after rising with the ball, he immediately lowered his body when Paddy went for the tackle, pushed the arms up, to move contact from around forearm to head, then accentuated the seemingly minimal contact. If I remember rightly, Paddy's arm was about his own hip level, and by the look on his face, he seemed to think that he had been conned.

Of course, it may have been an entirely legitimate free, but since the AFL has given a directive to the umpires, to be aware of that method of milking frees, largely because Ginnivan ( and others) was exploiting it so often earlier in the season, I and many others, are not inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.
    Ridiculous. It was a free kick, not bad behaviour and certainly not worthy of continued booing.

A portion of our crowd has fallen for the media (and AFL) generated storm around Ginnivan and it’s just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    Yes. He’s a kid. It’s not acceptable.

One thing I’ve noticed, McRae has backed him and basically said it’s a good thing if he gets a free kick. It makes me wonder if their coaching panel have encouraged it somewhat (disclaimer: just surmising here) - which I’d like to think isn’t the case.

I have also noticed one of our young guns has removed this behaviour from his repertoire lately. Could just be me… but I haven’t seen it so much.
    I don't think making excuses for his staging, like saying that he's young, is going to stop him from staging. Nor will McRae backing him solve the problem. And I don't think people pretending that he isn't staging, or that pretending that opposition supporters are under some sort bizarre obligation not to express their displeasure, is going to solve the problem.

What I do think is an easy solution to the problem, is for people at Collingwood to tell him to modify his behaviour. If he can stop himself from throwing his head back when no contact has been made, or rapidly slumping to draw contact, then I feel sure that he will no longer get the reaction that he's currently getting. Perhaps the attention will then shift more to other flagrant stagers, like Weightman, but that's fine by me, because that might cause them to also change their approach.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    I love the fact that at almost 60 years of age I can still learn.
    My latest learning is that I have been using the word perception wrong for so many years
    The definition of perception is the ability to see, hear, or become aware of something through the senses.
    That sounds like me to be evidence based rather than what my original belief in that it was influenced by the common consensus.
    In fact what I probably should have referenced was an actual antonym of the word namely misconception.
    So for the purposes of my previous posts please substitute misconception for perception.
    My opinions however remain unchanged.
    I thought i knew everything until i had grandkids . Now im learning half the words in the Merriam Webster were invented after they were born ! What hope do we have !

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Ridiculous. It was a free kick, not bad behaviour and certainly not worthy of continued booing.

A portion of our crowd has fallen for the media (and AFL) generated storm around Ginnivan and it’s just silly.
    I don't think it's ridiculous. Before the umpires were instructed to adapt the interpretation it would've been a free kick. He clearly raises his arm and lowers the body which has been instructed not to be paid, and it hasn't been, until this particular instance. Errol has changed his technique accordingly so I can't see why Ginnivan can't do the same.

Veteran Site Admin

Horse has commented, in a typical Horse manner.

Horse calls for respect after Ginnivan booing

I imagine the atmopshere that Goodes dealt with in the final year and a half of his career still feels pretty raw for Horse and others at the Swans. Regardless of the similarities or differences in the circumstances, he (Longmire) makes a pretty-easy-to-follow suggestion to fans.