Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: TV rights deal

TV rights deal

Hi all

Feel free to move this if it is in an inappropriate place.

Big rumours that the new TV rights deal does not include live coverage of interstate games.

Also another rumour that all Saturday games will be fox exclusive.

Now my elderly mother lives and breathes AFL footy, she loves it. She was an NRL convert many years ago

She can't pay for Foxtel, or Kayo, and she will probably revert to NRL.

I won't pay for anything Murdoch so I will probably just go to the odd game...

Surely this decision is just terrible for growing the AFL in the northern states?

Any comments ?

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Any sources?
    I have heard about Fox wanting all Saturday games but I have heard, at least Barrett, say that won't happen for whatever that is worth.
    Surely this decision is just terrible for growing the AFL in the northern states?
    Gill's legacy?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Does this mean that Swans (and GWS/Bris/GC) games won’t be broadcast live into their respective home states on free to air, or the other games (not involving ‘home’ teams)?

Silly decision if they want to grow the game.

They have spent millions of dollars on GWS/Gold Coast to expand the game. Then counteract that to get some extra broadcast money.

Mainstream free to air exposure is beneficial. You look at the effect on sports like Rugby and Soccer who have struggled to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    Silly decision if they want to grow the game.

They have spent millions of dollars on GWS/Gold Coast to expand the game. Then counteract that to get some extra broadcast money.

Mainstream free to air exposure is beneficial. You look at the effect on sports like Rugby and Soccer who have struggled to get it.
    I think the Minister for Media in the Government issued a thinly veiled warning to the AFL last week that there were no more games to be hidden behind the paywall. The AFL would be brave / stupid to snub the wishes of one of it's biggest benefactors

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't beleive any rumours until the facts are released.

Veterans List
    Meh, cut out some other vice and get Fox or Kayo or if you're a granny, get a son or grandson to chip in!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    I wouldn't beleive any rumours until the facts are released.
    and as it was talked about in the drafting thread, i before e except after c LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    and as it was talked about in the drafting thread, i before e except after c LOL
    Lol.
    Whoops
    Brain and fingers don't always talk

Reported in The Age a few minutes ago- the article says that Sydney and Queensland games will not be live free to air....

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...05-p5bfl6.html

And Kayo is awful...I'm not paying for ads- and my mad Swans fan mother won't pay for TV at all... back to the NRL for her...

Quote Originally Posted by Daisi View Post
    And Kayo is awful...I'm not paying for ads- and my mad Swans fan mother won't pay for TV at all... back to the NRL for her...
    She could always listen on the radio. It’s what most people did until relatively recently anyway. Getting to see all games is only a modern concept.

I think Kayo is great. Not sure what you mean about paying for ads. There are far fewer commercials than on free to air - and none after goals. I avoid free to air at every opportunity and am much happier because of it. Kayo is relatively cheap too.

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    She could always listen on the radio. It’s what most people did until relatively recently anyway. Getting to see all games is only a modern concept.

I think Kayo is great. Not sure what you mean about paying for ads. There are far fewer commercials than on free to air - and none after goals. I avoid free to air at every opportunity and am much happier because of it. Kayo is relatively cheap too.
    I won't go back to free to air since moving to Kayo. I used to have Foxtel for a season but was frustrated that I couldn't get the sports package without the standard TV package that's required. Kayo is perfect in that regard.

Way to kill growth in the game in NSW and QLD for the sake of a few extra $$$ if that is the final outcome. Delayed broadcasts in the modern age hey

Quote Originally Posted by Goal Sneak View Post
    I won't go back to free to air since moving to Kayo. I used to have Foxtel for a season but was frustrated that I couldn't get the sports package without the standard TV package that's required. Kayo is perfect in that regard.
    Yeh I have Kayo as well - I'd prefer not to pay Murdoch anything, but between myself and my brother, we share a subscription. So that means we cover off AFL and League for the main season, plus I enjoy watching plenty of cricket in the Summer, and he enjoys watching F1 and some other bits and pieces too. Works well, and compared to Foxtel it is relatively reasonably priced.

Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    Kayo is relatively cheap too.
    Whether something is cheap or not is relative however to an individual's circumstance. For many people in our communities, the luxury of paying for any TV subscriptions is something beyond their means, or a long way down the priority list behind a range of much more important calls on their income.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast