Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 AFL National Draft and Rookie Draft 28 & 29 November 2022

KB did say that they expected this draft to be good for KPPs but it turns out it’s not and is better for mids, wingmen and running backs.

Yep, most years they seem to say next year's draft crop looks better. Then when it comes around, not so much.

Incidentally the draft will be on 28 & 29 November 2022 this year. Please could the date be added to the thread title?
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

I hope we draft or rookie draft (noting that Braedtke played for our VFL team this season) at least one of these prospects and/or Harry Boyd:

Kevin Sheehan’s 2022 NAB AFL Draft Top Prospects – Tall Forwards/Rucks
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I hope we draft or rookie draft (noting that Braedtke played for our VFL team this season) at least one of these prospects and/or Harry Boyd:

Kevin Sheehan’s 2022 NAB AFL Draft Top Prospects – Tall Forwards/Rucks
    Plenty of tall prospects in that group. I would be surprised if we try to go up in the draft. I reckon at 14 and 17 we can pick up a couple of promising talls.

If you believe what KB said on trade radio, we don't think the talls are very good in this draft. It could be KB misdirection, or it could be the truth, but I think those that expect us to draft multiple KPPs in the ND may well be disappointed.

Regular in the Side
    i have us with 34 on main list (incl francis but with wicks still a rookie) Rookie at 7, with wicks, mclean,mccartin and fox all needing upgrades. Perhaps naismith needs to be downgraded of delisted. Still too manmy assummuing we take 4 in drafdt. Can someone with more knowledgfe than me tell me what the real numbers are?

Veteran Site Admin
    My understanding is that we ended the season with 36 on the senior list, 6+1 (HHK) on the Cat A rookie list and 2 on the Cat B rookie list.

We have lost three to retirement from the senior list and added Francis, one from the Cat A rookie list (Taylor) and one from the Cat B rookie list (BOC).

My understanding of the rules (imperfect, as they change all the time) is that two Cat A rookies have to be promoted (Wicks and McLean). It has been suggested that McCartin has been promised an upgrade. Also, Sheather needs to be upgraded to the Cat A rookie list unless the club applies for, and receives, a dispensation to leave him as a Cat B rookie.

If the above is correct, we would have 37 on the senior list, 4 on the Cat A rookie list (Fox, Sheather, HHK, McAndrew) and no-one on the Cat B rookie list.

We are obliged to take two players in the National Draft (one of the minimum of three can be absorbed by a rookie elevation) and the maximum senior list size is 38. So we have to delist at least one from the senior list to be able to fulfill this requirement. We would then have two picks in the ND and two possible Cat B rookie spots to fill.

There are three players currently without a contract for 2023 - Bell, Naismith, Ronke. So the most we can delist is three, which would give a maximum of four picks in ND (and up to two Cat B additions). But up to two of those picks could be pushed back to the rookie list given the flexibility over the list size splits between senior and Cat A rookie lists.

Excellent synopsis, liz!

Can you clarify your list of the 6 Cat A rookies at season's end. Also, I think you have listed Sheather and BOC as the Cat B rookies, but wouldn't McAndrew be Cat B?

Veteran Site Admin
    McAndrew was a mid-season rookie selection so had to be on the Cat A list. Regardless, we already had a full Cat B rookie list.

My tally of the rookies on our list this season is:

Cat A - Taylor, Fox, McCartin, McAndrew, McLean, Wicks + Hall-Kahan
    Cat B - Sheather, O'Connor

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    McAndrew was a mid-season rookie selection so had to be on the Cat A list. Regardless, we already had a full Cat B rookie list.

My tally of the rookies on our list this season is:

Cat A - Taylor, Fox, McCartin, McAndrew, McLean, Wicks + Hall-Kahan
    Cat B - Sheather, O'Connor
    If only the cleaner could take a pic of the whiteboard in that locked room it would be so much clearer :-)

We'll almost certainly use three picks at the ND unless there is an unexpected pick trade that reduces our useful picks to just two, that being a pick upgrade or a move into the 2023 draft.

Beatson is of course the master of subtle misinformation, so lucky he is part of our club

Veteran Site Admin
    I doubt we will (can) package our picks to move up in this draft. But it is possible that, during the live draft, a club might have their heart set on a player who has "drifted" a little and offer a future first round pick for one of ours. Unless we also have interest in that player, it sounds like the club might be open to that.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Speaking of drafting, any keener academy observers got insights on what happened to Billy King this year? I appreciate he was never viewed as an elite talent, but at least a promising tall. Seems zero mention of him anywhere.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast