Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 AFL National Draft and Rookie Draft 28 & 29 November 2022

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Speaking of drafting, any keener academy observers got insights on what happened to Billy King this year? I appreciate he was never viewed as an elite talent, but at least a promising tall. Seems zero mention of him anywhere.
    Since he had a bit of a wrap on him, I was a bit disappointed on what I saw. Was just pretty good as a key forward, but I suppose he didn't get very good service. While in the ruck, I thought our midfield was more effective when young Caleb May was doing the tap work.

Although King was injured early in the season, so perhaps he was playing under some sort of duress? Still, there wasn't much to say draft prospect.

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    Very interesting Liz. There is something strange going on with Cat A Rookies, for example Fox has been Cat A for as long as I can remember, and apparently still is despite a new 2 year contract extension, so can we assume from this the same thing will apply to Wicks and McLean.
    I still think we will take 3 pick’s in the national draft unless another club makes an offer to good to refuse, which means when you add Paddy McCartin and Francis to the senior list, at least 2 of Naismith, Ronke, and Bell will be delisted, if not all 3

Regular in the Side
    eLiz same ? re fox,surely he needs an upgrade as well. if this happens what is the picture re delistings and draft picks. do we need to delist 2 (or demote them to rookies) ending up with 35 or 34 depending of how many we delist or demote and pick up 3 from draft (or 2) leaving us with 37 main list and 7 rookie list again depeds on how many we delist or demote.. Im inclined to delist Naismith (dont think knee will standup (aka Johnson) and keep ronke and bell as rookies.

Regular in the Side
    I believe Paddy has already been promoted to the senior list and that we also need to promote Fox, McLean and Wicks to the senior list. Fox and McLean I think were transferred to the rookie list on a special Covid provision rule. If Naismith, Bell and Ronke are all delisted that leaves three positions for the National Draft if we go up to a max of 38. I think that KB has been exploring the option of upgrading our picks and only taking two in the draft so as to leave a vacancy for the SSP.

This is all on the basis that the AFL do not change the rules on the fly as they often do. I expect Sheather will also need to upgraded to a Cat A rookie. If any of Naismith, Bell or Ronke are to be retained they will need to be redrafted on the rookie draft as the AFL has stated that the provision for transferring listed players direct to the rookie list is not available this year. This means that they can be selected by any other club with a pick before us.

I wouldn't worry too much about senior list vs. rookie list spots. There always seems to be a way to move players on to the rookie list. We can even move Melican to the rookie list. He can be delisted and then drafted as a rookie. I don't think we would mind if someone picked him up. He was shopped around with apparently no takers.

Of the 3 remaining unsigned players, I would think that Ronke would be the only one who might generate interest from other clubs. He was probably shopped around as well, given that he's still unsigned.

I think that means we now have 38 signed players for next year and a max of 42 list spots, if in fact Sheather cannot remain a Cat B rookie. So we can draft 3 or 4 players (other than academy or international players), depending on whether we want to leave an SSP spot open. It doesn't seem likely that more than 1 of the unsigned players will remain at the club next year, given the paucity of list spots.

If we don't trade up, I would take 2 in the ND and try to swap one of our picks for a 2023 pick. I would consider redrafting Ronke as a rookie. I think he's too good not to be on an AFL list. I'm also not against rookie drafting another ruckman, like Boyd, for instance. Maybe we will use a Cat B spot on Webster.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 14th October 2022 at 03:53 PM.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    I believe Paddy has already been promoted to the senior list and that we also need to promote Fox, McLean and Wicks to the senior list. Fox and McLean I think were transferred to the rookie list on a special Covid provision rule. If Naismith, Bell and Ronke are all delisted that leaves three positions for the National Draft if we go up to a max of 38. I think that KB has been exploring the option of upgrading our picks and only taking two in the draft so as to leave a vacancy for the SSP.

This is all on the basis that the AFL do not change the rules on the fly as they often do. I expect Sheather will also need to upgraded to a Cat A rookie. If any of Naismith, Bell or Ronke are to be retained they will need to be redrafted on the rookie draft as the AFL has stated that the provision for transferring listed players direct to the rookie list is not available this year. This means that they can be selected by any other club with a pick before us.

Fox has only been on the rookie list for two years, this time around. He was originally a rookie, then promoted, then moved back to the rookie list for the start of 2021. He therefore hasn't exhausted his three year maximum for his current rookie stint so doesn't have to be promoted.

I don't think McLean was ever on the senior list. I confess I am not sure I understand how he is still on the rookie list given the normal three year maximum, but there were certainly lots of concessions thrown around re rookie list qualification during the COVID years.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Here's the Hun's latest rankings

No Cookies | Herald Sun
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Maybe we will use a Cat B spot on Webster.
    Possibly Edwards too (instead of or as well as Webster). He was the only Swans academy players to be invited to a state combine. I saw that he put in a very fast time for the 20m sprint, particularly for such a big lad. I confess I wouldn't have picked that level of pace based on the games I've seen him play.

Father-son prospect among best performers at state draft combine

I’ve been big on Lauchie Cowan knowing the family well . Interestingly he has been interviewed by every side, either in Melbourne or by zoom meetings . Bulldogs came to visit him in Tasmania .
    Will be very interested to see we’re he goes draft night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by gloveski View Post
    I’ve been big on Lauchie Cowan knowing the family well . Interestingly he has been interviewed by every side, either in Melbourne or by zoom meetings . Bulldogs came to visit him in Tasmania .
    Will be very interested to see we’re he goes draft night
    Most ranking lists have him around the early/mid 20's, right around the Dogs pick 21 (22/23/24).

If every team has interviewed him, it shows how widely clubs look each draft given a number of clubs don't have picks anywhere near that area of the draft.

You'll be hoping we strike with pick 17 (18/19/20) eh gloveski? Keep us updated if you hear of further interviews, like Horse dropping in to see him :-)
    Last edited by 707; 17th October 2022 at 12:28 PM.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Most ranking lists have him around the early/mid 20's, right around the Dogs pick 21 (22/23/24).

If every team has interviewed him, it shows how widely clubs look each draft given a number of clubs don't have picks anywhere near that area of the draft.

You'll be hoping we strike with pick 17 (18/19/20) eh gloveski? Keep us updated if you hear of further interviews, like Horse dropping in to see him :-)
    If the Swans like him, I doubt "consensus" rankings will influence their thinking. Ling and Sheldrick are two examples of players they've picked much higher than the rankings indicated (albeit with little evidence yet that the club's ranking was validated by these players' actual output - for different reasons).

He does sound like a player who might appeal to the club, particularly his intercept ability as a medium tall, plus his pace and adventurous kicking from defence. That said, we have a couple of recent draftees taken with similar attributes - Rankin especially, and Hall-Kahan based on where he played the last half-dozen or so VFL games. So his appeal to the Swans might depend on how the club sees those two players' development and prospects. And maybe also on where they see Blakey playing in the medium to longer term.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Possibly Edwards too (instead of or as well as Webster). He was the only Swans academy players to be invited to a state combine. I saw that he put in a very fast time for the 20m sprint, particularly for such a big lad. I confess I wouldn't have picked that level of pace based on the games I've seen him play.

Father-son prospect among best performers at state draft combine
    Edwards has always had a very good 20m sprint time so that wasnt a fluke but I agree he doesn't look quick when playing (and never has) . He is a huge unit though and had a pretty good year at North Shore as well playing as a key back. Most likely from the academy to be drafted in my view with Webster possibly in the mix as well .

Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast