Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on AFLW

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    The next draft has about 20 outstanding players lining up and the year after will be massive. The Swans will get priority picks and hopefully some good youngsters from the Academy. A full pre season will also help. The girls will be competitive quicker than you think.
    I have no issue with the players - I think Montana Ham will be an outstanding player.

My question is: do you think the 'normal' AFL length ground is fit for purpose for AFLW?

Quote Originally Posted by Foreign Legion View Post
    Why am I uninformed if I may ask?

I have watched at least 30 games and about 5 in person.

How do comments hurt a game? Should it not be robust enough to endure criticism?
    So two games with the winners above 60 points.

OK.

- - - Updated - - -

Two games with sides scoring THREE and ONE points
    Did you watch the showdown? I thought Port did really well for an expansion team. Just couldn't score.

Senior Player
    Did you watch the showdown? I thought Port did really well for an expansion team. Just couldn't score.
    No I admit I did not watch it. Unfortunately I am a bit disinterested in AFLW lately. I watched pretty much every game for the last few years - different seasons I know.

I have to say I started watching a Kayo replay of the latest Swans game and at half time fast forwarded to see the result,

Why am I uninformed if I may ask?

I have watched at least 30 games and about 5 in person.

How do comments hurt a game? Should it not be robust enough to endure criticism?
    I have no issue with the players - I think Montana Ham will be an outstanding player.

My question is: do you think the 'normal' AFL length ground is fit for purpose for AFLW?
    Yeah we just need another four or five of her.
    The 3 games I mentioned were 3 of the best games I've seen of AFLW and I've watched every game of every season except for the ones I fell asleep watching.They were all played on full size grounds. My opinion only but smaller grounds would lead to more congestion.

Senior Player
    Yeah we just need another four or five of her.
    The 3 games I mentioned were 3 of the best games I've seen of AFLW and I've watched every game of every season except for the ones I fell asleep watching.They were all played on full size grounds. My opinion only but smaller grounds would lead to more congestion.
    There is a bloody lot of congestion now because the kicks/handballs don't clear the area. Would you not rather see the ball inside 20M from goal than bloody mauls outside 50?

I am not trying to downplay AFLW - I am trying to promote ideas to improve it.

Veterans List
    The next draft has about 20 outstanding players lining up and the year after will be massive. The Swans will get priority picks and hopefully some good youngsters from the Academy. A full pre season will also help. The girls will be competitive quicker than you think.
    Great....so the Swans might improve and be more competitive but will the women's game as a whole improve? I still contend that it has NOT improved much at all since season one....and now we have a talent pool spread even further with all 18 teams represented.

It's going to be a very slow process (and it may be ten years or more until the young girls currently going through the talent pathways in juniors actually get to the highest level).....can the paying public wait that long....or will just family and friends be turning up to watch?

Sustainability is my main worry because Foreign Legion is right....the game's viability will be determined by economics and ratings, not by positive 'feels' regarding inclusion.

Stevo do you watch any other games apart from the Swans? There was 20000 at Adelaide oval Friday night. This year's crop of draftees are already dominating ,they are so talented.TV rights and advertising is already paying for the competition, the gate takings are barely relevant.Do you really think the AFL would continue with AFLW if they weren't making money from it or see it as financially viable in the near future? It will take a couple of years for the expansion teams to catch up. There will always be clubs that struggle from time to time just like North afl.Go watch the replay of Collingwood StKilda last weekend then come back and tell me you didn't enjoy it and I'll call you a liar.

Senior Player
    Stevo do you watch any other games apart from the Swans? There was 20000 at Adelaide oval Friday night. This year's crop of draftees are already dominating ,they are so talented.TV rights and advertising is already paying for the competition, the gate takings are barely relevant.Do you really think the AFL would continue with AFLW if they weren't making money from it or see it as financially viable in the near future? It will take a couple of years for the expansion teams to catch up. There will always be clubs that struggle from time to time just like North afl.Go watch the replay of Collingwood StKilda last weekend then come back and tell me you didn't enjoy it and I'll call you a liar.
    What are your thoughts on the length of the ground?

Veterans List
    I have not watched ANY Swans games. I'm in Victoria.....the Swans are NOT prioritised down here but I have watched many other AFLW games and I just get frustrated frankly....on so many levels.

How are the ratings for AFLW? Are advertisers going to continue to keep lining up?

Of course, some games are going to attract a crowd. The first SA 'showdown' was always going to attract interest with Erin playing against her old side....and Port got thrashed. Let's see how many are at the next Port game shall we?

There has been games with less than a thousand spectators.....quite a few. That is NOT sustainable. TV rights are only high because of the men's game....so it will be the men's game subsidising the women's game, won't it.

Senior Player
    I'm sure things have improved now but in 2008 in the Sydney City Juniors comp once girls were thirteen they weren't allowed to
    play in mixed teams, and as there was no girls U14 comp then they had to "retire" from competitive football. This happened to a
    number of girls at the junior club my sons were at. If there had been comps for girls 13 and over then some of those girls might
    have been playing in the AFLW now, with at least a similar long term grounding and playing time and experience to what the
    boys got. In other words, there needed to be pathway then to get the fruits of it now.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I have not watched ANY Swans games. I'm in Victoria.....the Swans are NOT prioritised down here but I have watched many other AFLW games and I just get frustrated frankly....on so many levels.

How are the ratings for AFLW? Are advertisers going to continue to keep lining up?

Of course, some games are going to attract a crowd. The first SA 'showdown' was always going to attract interest with Erin playing against her old side....and Port got thrashed. Let's see how many are at the next Port game shall we?

There has been games with less than a thousand spectators.....quite a few. That is NOT sustainable. TV rights are only high because of the men's game....so it will be the men's game subsidising the women's game, won't it.
    AFLW will be here long after you and I are gone from this earth. Who pays for it is irrelevant. In 2-3 years the expansion clubs will have caught up talent wise. AFLW is in it's 7th season so I'm guessing crowds under 1000 must be sustainable and the Advertisers keep lining up or the AFLW wouldn't exist.

What are your thoughts on the length of the ground?
    Whitten oval was shortened by about 20 meters for AFLW games before the current redevelopment and my own personal opinion is it didn't make much difference. This season the games at Marvel/MCG/ Adelaide oval/ Metricon seem to be more free flowing than previously but that probably has more to do with the skills improvement and the kids that can play starting to come into the game. It is interesting that the games at Kardinia park tend to be slugfests on the narrow ground but that could just be the way Geelong play. Next season I'd like to see the lasso rule gone and boundary throw ins from the boundary line.
    Last edited by aardvark; 3rd October 2022 at 03:33 PM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast