Page 24 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans VFL 2023

Veterans List
    Looking at the team sheet, have we ever put a more inexperienced team on the field?

We cut a lot of depth players last year that simply were not quite up to AFL standard . But very good VFL players , there’s no shame in that The positions were filled with kids it was always going to be a struggle this year . Throw in the horror run of injuries it’s become a bit of a perfect storm .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the optimistic among us, this is the VFL team.

B: W. Edwards (28), L. Melican (43), W. Collis (51)
    HB: L. Rankin (41), J. Brown (50), C. Mitchell (35)
    C: C. Vickery (25), A. Sheldrick (29), J. Endemann (59)
    HF: J. Magor (32), H. Hall-Kahan (45), H. Morrison (55)
    F: J. Konstanty (18), C. Owen (40), S. Wicks (15)
    R: J. Crocker (54), C. Warner (37), M. Geddes (61)
    INT: T. Longmire (58), M. Velthuis (60), J. Bartholomaeus (47), J. Tidemann (66)*, T. Howard (56)
    EMG: O. Davis (68), R. Fitzroy (65)

IN: J. Brown, J. Crocker, H. Morrison, J. Tidemann, M. Velthuis
    OUT: L. McAndrew, D. Stephens (AFL), N. Shipley (hamstring), Ham. Morrison (Sydney Swans Academy), C. Haley
    NEW: Monty Velthuis, 23, Sydney University

Probably either Sheldrick or Warner will come out of the side, after being used earlier in the day as the AFL sub. The new top up, Monty Velthuis, is a 206cm ruckman.

In further cheery injury news; Shipley's hamstring injury is likely to keep him out for up to six weeks, while fellow VFL squad members, Alker and Veale, are out for the season.

Real shame about Shipley. Thought that he's been our best in the VFL and was probably doing enough to earn another chance on an AFL list

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Looks like Sheldrick is playing this game despite playing the last quarter today

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Halftime anf good to see the Cygnets having a go, sticking tackles etc.
    Looks like they are still going to lose but some positive signs.
    Owen doing quite well as first ruck, beaten by Sam, but still doing well.
    Hore-Kahan looks good, and Magor looking much better
    On the other hand Sheldrick is being heavily tagged and is very quiet.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Veterans List
    Hall-Khan looks like the obvious in for Hayward next week. Hopefully Konstanty starts playing some good footy.

Veteran Site Admin
    I liked the fact that they fought it out to the end, keeping the final margin around the same as the three quarter time margin. It would have been easy for heads to drop to allow Port to completely run wild in the final term. Port did score freely in that term, but we kept trying to move the ball in our direction too.

Shout out to Bartholomeus, who I thought was our best by some margin. I've been disappointed with him this season so far (as one of the only two of our VFL squad who I think is clearly VFL standard - ie would get a game in any side). In the absence of Shipley he seemed to be given more responsibility and more time on ball, and I think he rewarded the coaches for giving him that opportunity.

Another shout out to Crocker, who as one of the young top-ups, looked calm and clean down back.

I also applaud the coaches for changing up Magor's role. He's looked lost in the desert that our forward line has been all year, so giving him the chance to get his hands on the ball in defence was a good move. He seemed to relish it, and showed something of the skill set that he was drafted for.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Yep it was a 10 goal belting, but they stuck at it to the end. Which I found heartening.
    Bartholomeus did get a lot of the ball, but his disposal was horrendous. I was more impressed by CoreyW - I hope he gets anther shot in the firsts, even if only as the medi sub.

Montague Velthuis
    I see he's 23 and from SydneyUni but given how many ruck infringement frees he gave away (he seemed to get most time in the ruck in the 2nd half), I wonder how long he's been playing the game for - anyone know?
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    Port Melbourne's defender Phillips dominated the backline yesterday. At 23 years old and with our decimated backline, surely he must be on the Swans radar for mid season draft.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor 01 View Post
    Port Melbourne's defender Phillips dominated the backline yesterday. At 23 years old and with our decimated backline, surely he must be on the Swans radar for mid season draft.
    He dominated against a forward line with no tall forwards (well, none remotely close to AFL standard) and against a team who, despite having no quality tall forwards, have a forward delivery strategy of long, aimless bombs.

He might be prove to be a decent defender at AFL level, and is certainly being talked about in mid-season draft dispatches, but I wouldn't be basing any assessment of his potential on yesterday's game.

Didn't see the game last night, but for the people on here who did, how did Konstanty look? I see he's finally kicked his first goal in red and white, but still only had 3 kicks for the entire match!

I know it's still early, but are we right to be getting a little concerned yet?

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk