Page 60 of 63 FirstFirst ... 10505657585960616263 LastLast

Thread: Swans VFL 2023

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Is your keyboard or auto-correct on the fritz Auntie.G ?
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

3rd apology to the forum

I changed phones recently

Will reset as it is driving me nuts also 🥹

God ruck wid dot Onty
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 19th August 2023 at 03:19 PM.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Gold Coast are ripping Carlton to shreds. Halfway through the third quarter and Gold Coast are leading by 119 points. Carlton are 8th on the ladder.

This makes our 68-point loss look competitive.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    3rd apology to the forum

I changed phones recently

Will reset as it is driving me nuts also 🥹
    Autocorrect is the spawn of the devil. I refuse to use it and I disable it whenever possible. I would rather have a typo remain uncorrected than have it "corrected" to the wrong word.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    Don’t worry Auntie. You are in credit with all your insightful posts.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    A lot of rucks seem to perform so much better when they are the sole or designated first ruck, compared to when they are supposedly sharing the load. I ruminated at length on the topic a couple of years ago and it's still true.
    Being forced to share duties or being relegated to supporting ruck status does bad things to a ruckmans head.

In the case of Ladhams, it's even more extreme - he's been dropped completely to the 2's, and then been relegated to the relieving ruck spot. There were already concerns about Mensa's head space before - lord knows that's going on in there right now - but his onfieled endevours suggest it isn't good.
    I think he’s still battling with the ankle injury

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could indeed be that simple gloveski.
    If it is, any idea why they've been playing him for so many weeks in the forward line of the 2's with that ankle injury?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    It could indeed be that simple gloveski.
    If it is, any idea why they've been playing him for so many weeks in the forward line of the 2's with that ankle injury?
    I reckon as insurance as we can still make finals so they want him semi match fit if needed . If or when we can’t make finals I reckon they will put him on ice for the year . I’m sure kinnear said he was battling with the ankle ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard Kinnear say that he was now struggling with an ankle last week during the podcast. But anyone who watched the last 2's game could tell you that. I don't think he said when Mensa began to struggle with the injury.

It seems a funny sort of insurance policy. Increase the chances of further damage, and derail rehab, without increasing match readiness in any appreciable sense. I'm in no position to say one way or the other, just making some general observations on the nature of ruckmen.

For what it's worth, this is the team for today's game against Werribee, which is scheduled for 1.05pm at Tramway. It's a tough assignment for our final game, as Werribee are second on the ladder, but there's probably a few of our team playing for contracts, so maybe there's a chance of an upset.

B: L. Melican (43), W. Gould (17), W. Edwards (28)
    HB: L. Rankin (41), H. Arnold (38), J. Magor (32)
    C: C. Mitchell (35), M. Roberts (34), C. Warner (37)
    HF: J. Bartholomaeus (53), I. Kirk (54), H. Hall-Kahan (45)
    F: N. Shipley (52), J. Konstanty (18), P. Ladhams (19)
    R: L. McAndrew (46), H. Morrison (55), R. Clarke (4)
    INT: C. Owen (40), L. Cabor (68)*, A. Francis (10), C. Cleary (65), M. Rider (66)
    EMG: J. Tidemann (63), N. Hawkins (59), T. Gander (61), T. Howard (56)

IN: R. Clarke, A. Francis, M. Roberts, N. Shipley
    OUT: J. Buller (AFL), T. Gander, N. Hawkins, J. Tidemann

Obviously Francis goes out of the side and I assume Clarke as well. Gander being tall, probably comes in for Francis and plays forward. And since we've got plenty of talls named in defence, I'm guessing that Gould plays forward instead.

Which is the sort of opportunity that he really needs to grab. There's a reasonable chance that management have decided that he's unlikely to make it as key defender, but he could be better suited as a forward. So maybe a bag today will earn him another year?

A few others have contracts expiring. Hall-Kahan has probably done enough. Tends to use the ball well and maybe a bit unlucky not to have debuted. Rankin might be borderline? I had him as a delist earlier in the year, but he's played some quality games in the second half of the season. Perhaps one problem for him is the form of Magor, who's also playing as a rebounding small defender. Increasingly, he's been hitting targets, using the ball really well and making a few more tough defensive efforts. Although Rankin is a bit feistier. So, with Magor highly likely to be given another year, that might see Rankin being squeezed.

Of the tall defenders, there's a few who probably haven't totally locked in a contract. Melican, while he's shown some good form, will be really hoping he can get through the game without another soft tissue injury and earn a recall for next week. Another injury might be career ending. I think Arnold has done pretty well, but Kinnear doesn't appear entirely convinced. While Edwards has probably shown enough aerial ability to get another year on the rookie list.

Owen's contract also runs out and I can't really see him getting another one. In the ruck pecking order, he now seems to be behind Buller and he showed very little playing forward earlier in the year, nor recently in defence.

It's also nice to see Shipley back in, who's played enough quality games, to be some sort of a chance to get an upgrade from VFL squad to rookie list.

Veteran Site Admin
    There's more than just contracts next year to play for. There will likely be two spots in the senior team up for grabs next week. I don't know where McInerney is with his recovery. It's possible he takes one, though he's not a like-for-like for either Papley or McCartin. If he is ready, maybe he makes his return as the sub or pushes Stephens out.

Melican probably has front running on McCartin's spot if he's fit enough after his recent lay-off. Or maybe Francis will return down back if Amartey's injury is not long term.

Even though his form in recent weeks has been encouraging, I'm not sure that our Papley-in-waiting is ready for a senior debut. But maybe Jacob thinks differently. This is his chance to show it.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    There's more than just contracts next year to play for. There will likely be two spots in the senior team up for grabs next week. I don't know where McInerney is with his recovery. It's possible he takes one, though he's not a like-for-like for either Papley or McCartin. If he is ready, maybe he makes his return as the sub or pushes Stephens out.

Melican probably has front running on McCartin's spot if he's fit enough after his recent lay-off. Or maybe Francis will return down back if Amartey's injury is not long term.

Even though his form in recent weeks has been encouraging, I'm not sure that our Papley-in-waiting is ready for a senior debut. But maybe Jacob thinks differently. This is his chance to show it.
    Melican in for Tommy if he gets a week. Would HHK be a chance for Paps? JMac for Stephens if fit.