Page 101 of 325 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,212 of 3893

Thread: 2023 List Management

Veterans List
    Only GC need to trade their first rounder. Needs to be two high seconds (plus) to give them more points than the first rounder, although where that first rounder might land is up in the air depending on how GC finish the season.

WC may well trade their first, Melbourne in the box seat with Freo's first plus their own first to play with.

And then of course we may have the AFL slopping out some picks to LOLNorf as they can't seem to help themselves out of the bottom two!

Pick trades likely to be very interesting this year.

I think Mackay at the right price per annum makes sense
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Thanks KG

Our likely high first and a second! - are we trading for 28yo Barrass or young Nick Daicos?

A lot of rubbish dribbles out of the media, how's those earlier in the season 6 years at $800k per season for TDK going?

I don't think the option is Barrass anyway. I would prefer Ratugolea. He fits our profile to the hilt. What's more, it is about time a few good Cats came to us. The last one was Mummy I think. Laidler doesn't count because he came via Blues. Barrass would be a very difficult one to get. His wife just gave birth to a new child. He has a four year contract on pretty good money and a move to Sydney would be very expensive for him. Not only that with his contract and his young family I don't think he will be uprooting them anytime soon. What's more, I don't feel the Eagles are ready to trade him. He is far too valuable to them in educating young players coming through.

TDK. Umm. He could be a good player but I don't think Voss is getting through to him. Where does he want to play would be a good question? Ruck? CHB? CHF? He has not shown anything to suggest he is worth $800,000/year. At this stage it is all 'He could be a good Ruck. He could be a good CHB. He might be, at a pjnch, a good forward'. Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Not IS.

I would like us to bring in Ratugolea and then draft a young Key Back.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    Barrass is 28 years old and will turn 29 in October.

He has played 132 games since he made his debut in 2015. His 132 games in nine seasons are distributed as 3 (50% from debut in R17, 12% season), 10 (43%), 19 (79%), 19 (76%), 14 (58%), 18 (100%), 16 (73%), 19 (86%), 14 (82%), total for career 132 (72% from debut). Only in 2020 did he play every game in a shortened season.

So he's in and out of the side, probably due to injury. I'll make some optimistic assumptions: he plays six more seasons and we play 24 games each season. I'll also assume that he plays 72% of games - his career average. 24×6×72% = 104 games.

By that assessment, we would be paying overs if we offered a likely pick 6 and pick 23 for a player who only is likely to play about 100 games. We would be paying overs because Barrass is contracted. We should look elsewhere and get better value.

De Koning's figures are no better. 51 games (64%) from debut in 2018: 2, none, 7, 13, 19, 10. He's been in and out of the Carlton team as well, and played no senior games at all in 2019.

If De Koning was out of contract, we could probably secure his services for one or both of our second-round picks.
    Agree totally with this. I would go Ratugolea as the key back. He fits our profile a lot more.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm wondering what the views are of recruiting McKay from North Melbourne. He's a key defender, a free agent, wouldn't cost us anything in draft picks. His figures are on par with De Koning (65 games with a similar average). North Melbourne could potentially end up with pick 3 as compensation, though my guess that's more likely to be an end of first round pick (about pick 19).
    after watching him the other night we wouldn't want to pay too much. I think Francis is even better than him. He was caught out of position so many times and never picked up a player.

Ratugolea would be my pick as he would fit our style perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Cleary named in under-18 All-Australian team.

Allies dominate U18 All-Australian team after unbeaten carnival
    Well done to him. It'll be interesting to see if he now gets a bit more love in the draft rankings.
    McVeigh was also named as coach. Which was probably the obvious choice.

Gold Coast will want more draft points. They may have to match 3 players inside the first 10 picks of the draft and their current draft points after the first round are a little short despite holding eight points-bearing picks. Their first-round pick will be available for the right price.

Suppose we end up getting Gold Coast's pick in exchange for our two 2nd-round picks. If that's pick 7, and we have 22 and 25, that would be close, though we would have to offer a little more (a late pick) to balance out the trade.

I don't know if any other clubs would be chasing points for Academy players and have first-round picks available in this year's draft.
    Barrass is far too expensive and his move here would cost a mint. I don't think the bloke has even entertained a move. This is all a media beat up because of Paddy going down. Asaga Ratugolea would be a better fit. He is out of contract. Port want him badly but he does not want to move to Adelaide. I think if we offer the right deal it will get done. He won't be hellishly expensive and will be far easier to get than Barrass.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Well done to him. It'll be interesting to see if he now gets a bit more love in the draft rankings.
    McVeigh was also named as coach. Which was probably the obvious choice.
    i watched a bit of the games online with Caiden in them

I mean after his 31 disposals last year in the pre GF game.........impressive

reminds me of the footage we saw of Chad before joining us same height weight...........raw, strong, committed, contested.........i think he could flourish over time in a system like AFL but i couldnt get a goo dread on his skills outside of contested footy.

I believe in the pre GF game he got to play wing a fair bit which means he must be an ok kick

You would think we can pick him up with a late 2nd rounder?

Also he was super young last year for a year 12 guy at school ie only turned 18yrs old in March this year
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

If we part with a top 10 pick for Barrass as well as wear his contract then that is nuts.
    We have to stay in the top 10.

Ratugolea maybe be a good defender in the marking contest but im not sure he is the answer ball in hand.

TDK 5 yrs 600k and a 2nd a rounder is ok, not great but he can Ruck.

HH is the smartest choice

Mckays durability is questionable but he would be the 2nd safest pick. 4yrs 500k should give them an end of 1st round pick but they may match to try and get more.
    Clearly they have there eyes on him getting a deal that gives them a compo pick in the top 3to let him "walk"

Veterans List
    I hope not McKay, as he is as loose as granny's teeth.

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    I agree with you on Ratugolea. Geelong have been trying to find a position for him for some time without success. He certainly did not fill me with confidence based on his performance against the Swans. He just did not appear to read the game, and obviously the coaching panel thought the same thing as he was substituted before the last quarter.
    A few of my Geelong colleagues have given him the nickname Jane. “Built like Tarzan, plays like Jane”

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I hope not McKay, as he is as loose as granny's teeth.
    Who’d know. You could have a combo of Nick Daicos, Jeremy Cameron and Harris Andrews in Norf colours like now, and they’d look dreadful 😂
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Cleary not in the guru's Top 20 - I like that. If we don't trade them away, I'd love to be able to use our first and pick 23 (Hawks is a lock already) before having to match Cleary.
    Cleary's not being in the top 20, but being named in the U18 All-Australian team implies he's in the top 23. So, draft range 21-23?
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veteran Site Admin
    Cleary's not being in the top 20, but being named in the U18 All-Australian team implies he's in the top 23. So, draft range 21-23?
    It's not that simplistic.

For a start, three of the U18 AA team are under-agers, not eligible until next year's draft. So your logic would elevate Cleary to top 20 of this year's crop.

But more pertinently, recruiters are projected what they think players might be capable of over a 12-15 year AFL career, not basing it purely on who performed best over four matches as teenagers. So those with a bit of physical development might not be ready to perform consistently over a handful of matches now, but might have more enticing combinations of skill and athleticism than some who can perform consistently as teenagers.

Here is last year's AA team. Two of those players didn't get drafted at all (Hagan and D'Aloia). Excluding the two under-agers (Reid and Walters), the rest did but three lasted until the 30s.

2022 AFL Under 18 All-Australian Team announced - Aussie Rules Rookie Me Central

And then bear in mind that there will be some bolters as the Coates Talent League completes. For example, I don't think Clayton Oliver even made it to the squad for the U18 championships in his draft year, and not due to injury. He wasn't on the radar but came with a bolt at the back end of the year to be drafted in the top 5 (and to have fully justified that draft position). Others will have been injured and so missed out on the championships but may still be highly regarded come draft time.